Top 5 Best Keyboard Wrist Rests 2020:
- CushionCare Keyboard Wrist Pad
- AmazonBasics Gel Wrist Rest and Mouse Pad
- Fellowes Memory Foam Wrist Rest
- Kensington Duo Gel Keyboard Wrist Rest
- Glorious Gaming Wrist Rest
All of you who work long hours on your computer (or playing games) should pay attention to ergonomics. Most of the time, people choose an ergonomic chair or a keyboard, but a wrist rest rarely comes to their mind.
However, the risk of the hand and wrist tendinitis, an unpleasant condition that can hinder your working ability, is rather high if you do not use this simple yet helpful accessory. If you are following the current trend and working online, a wrist rest is a must!
For this reason, in this article, I’ll help you find the best keyboard wrist rest and thus help you mitigate some risk.
So, straighten out your posture, don’t crane your neck, rest your eyes from time to time, take a stretch break every so often and choose the wrist rest from my list! If you follow this advice and stay disciplined, you will set yourself up for success and reduce the risk of feeling discomfort or pain.
Let’s see what are the best keyboard wrist rests you can currently buy!
5 Best Keyboard Wrist Rests In 2020: Detailed Reviews
1. Kensington Duo Gel Keyboard Wrist Rest – Best Deal for Gamers
Kensington Duo Gel Keyboard Wrist Rest is made with two ergonomic gel pillows that follow the natural curve of your hand and wrist. It is not bulky, so it will not feel unnatural or uncomfortable even after hours of typing.
A ventilation channel placed in the center of this wrist rest secures appropriate airflow so that your hand never becomes sweaty nor your skin irritated. The gel pillows feel soft and allow for natural movement, but they are also quite sturdy and do not flatten once you position your wrist on them.
Being 1.2 inches thick, Kensington Duo Gel wrist rest is best paired with a mechanical keyboard as it is of similar height Soft plastic covering is easy to clean- you simply wipe it clean from time. Unlike fabric, the plastic surface is not prone to wear and tear even when scrubbed, so it is sure to last longer as well.
The pad is designed to run the full length of a standard keyboard, and that means that you will have no trouble positioning your forearm, hand, and fingers correctly. The only potential downside of this gel wrist rest is that it tends to get warm after prolonged use. It is a typical problem for all gel materials. If your skin is sensitive, this can result in skin irritation.
Some might find the Kensington Duo Gel Keyboard wrist rest a bit pricey too, but I believe that the price matches the quality. The strong plastic smell will wear off in a week, so it is not an issue.
- Soft gel molds to the natural curvature of your wrists
- Runs a full keyboard length
- The ventilation channel
- Ideal for thicker keyboards
- High price
- Can feel a bit warm after hours of use
2. CushionCare Keyboard Wrist Pad – Buy One Get One Free Option
CushionCare Keyboard Wrist Pad is an ergonomically designed wrist rest pad of elongated rectangle shape. It is made from a high-quality foam material and provides adequate support for both your wrist and hands while you type or play games.
The foam is soft and lightweight, but it retains its shape rather well and seems to be durable. Both the foam and the fabric that covers it are breathable, so your hands will not sweat excessively, nor will your skin be irritated. The fabric might not be the best solution maintenance-wise, but the good news is that it will not wear out quickly even if you wash it regularly.
It runs the full length of the keyboard and thus allows you to find an adequate position and properly align your forearm, hand, and wrist during typing or gaming. In this way, the pad significantly reduces the risk of Carpal Tunnel and RSI syndromes. It also takes the weight off your shoulders, reducing the stress and making you more productive.
The non-skid backing makes sure that your pad stays in place and thus guarantees that your wrist is always well-supported. CushionCare Keyboard Wrist Pad is almost an inch thick, and that makes it suitable for gamers or other people who use thicker mechanical keyboards.
It comes with a free mouse pad for your utmost convenience, as well as a 3-year warranty that guarantees the quality of this product. Considering all that you get, the price seems quite fair, don’t you agree?
- Excellent quality and price ratio
- Premium quality foam
- Multi-functional ergonomics
- Optimal effectiveness.
- Durable & breathable fabric
- Non-skid backing
- Risk-free 3-year warranty
- Free mouse pad
- The edges tend to curl up
3. Fellowes Memory Foam Wrist Rest – Ideal for Laptop Users
Fellowes Memory Foam Wrist Rest is for users who type on thinner keyboard or work on a laptop. This pad is ergonomically designed, almost twenty inches long, and only 0.9 inches thick. If you are a gamer or use a mechanical keyboard, you might want to skip this pad as it is not an ideal solution for you.
Fellowes wrist rest runs the full length of any standard keyboard. As a result, you can position your hands as you usually do and do not have to adjust to the pad as it is often the case with smaller wrist rests. It is made from premium memory foam, which provides exceptional comfort and molds to your wrist. It will not lose shape quickly as it is quite sturdy as well. It is not as soft as some other foam materials, though, and some of you might even find it too firm.
The foam does retain body heat, but it improves your circulation without inducing excessive sweating or irritation of your skin. The durable jersey fabric covering is gentle to your skin too, but quite durable when it comes to regular daily wear and tear.
Non-skid backing makes sure your wrist is always adequately positioned as the pad stays in place at all times. Fellowes Memory foam wrist rest does an excellent job in distributing the weight of your forearm and hand eliminating pressure points that can cause discomfort or lead to health issues.
This wrist pad is quite reasonably priced, considering its quality. On the downside, the strong chemical smell seems to be rather persistent and takes quite some time to wear off.
- Reasonably priced
- Retains its shape long
- Non-skid backing
- Redistributes pressure points
- Ideal for laptop users
- Not the best option for mechanical or gaming keyboards
4. AmazonBasics Gel Wrist Rest and Mouse Pad – Killing two Birds with One Stone
AmazonBasics mouse pad with a built-in wrist rest is the cheapest wrist rest on my review list, but that does not mean that it is of poor quality. If it were, it would not find the place on my list at all. As you can see, it is a combination of a mouse pad and wrist rest, so it is a good deal for all of you who need both these things and have to work on a low budget, especially considering its price.
I just hope that you do not expect this combo to be as flexible as a standalone wrist rests.
This wrist rest is filled with gel and covered with smooth yet durable fabric. It conforms to the shape of your hand and wrist, providing excellent support while you type or browse the internet. The mouse pad is covered with the same material, and your mouse is sure to glide over it, trouble-free.
The entire underside is covered with rubber so that this pad remains in place and does not slide around your desk while you work. Unfortunately, the edges roll up rather quickly as the pad is rather thin. It measures 9.92 x 7.83 x 0.94 inches and is thus compact enough for limited working spaces as well, especially if you consider the fact that you will not need a separate mouse pad.
Low price and one year Amazon warranty are significant advantages, but if you invest a few more dollars, you can buy a wider wrist rest that will provide better support and last longer.
- Combination of the mouse pad and a wrist pad
- Gel-filled section conforms to your wrist
- Provides the satisfactory cushioning effect
- Rubberized underside
- Edges roll up
- Does not run the full length of the keyboard
5. Glorious Gaming Wrist Rest – A perfect Match for Any Mechanical Keyboard
Glorious Gaming wrist rest comes in quite a few different options, but I have chosen to try out the Tenkeyless regular version. It is designed to run the full length of a keyboard that excludes the number pad, but you can also buy a full-sized or compact version or opt for the slim design to complement the keyboard you already own. It is good to have all these options as you can find the best match, don’t you agree?
The version I have chosen is 25mm thick and ideal for keyboards with high-profile keys, or better to say, mechanical and gaming keyboards. It is incredibly well-made and is sure to last long, mostly thanks to a stable rubber base and dual lock anti-fraying stitched frame. Surprisingly, the rubber did not provide a firm enough grip to keep the pad in place on a glass surface during my passionate gaming session.
Glorious Gaming wrist rest is made of foam and covered with smooth fabric. The foam is of medium firmness, and if you are used to soft memory foam, you are likely to find this one a bit too firm. However, it is excellent at retaining its shape and providing support during prolonged typing or gaming.
The price might be a bit higher, but you will receive a one-year satisfaction guarantee that your product will be replaced free of charge. You will also significantly reduce the risk of developing tendinitis or carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Smooth and comfy cloth surface
- Ideal for mechanical keyboards
- Dual Lock Anti-Fraying stitched frame
- Excellent lifespan
- Hand Washable
- The foam can feel a bit stiff
- The underside could provide a better grip on smooth desk surfaces.
Why Buy The Keyboard Wrist Rest?
As I have already said, proper wrist position is a must for all of you who work any job that requires long hours on a computer. It might seem trivial, but lots of typing can induce lots of problems with hand muscles and wrist tendons. In the worst-case scenario, you can permanently damage your health, and you should thus do all in your power to prevent discomfort or injury.
A proper wrist position is best achieved by the help of wrist rest, so why not buy one?
After all, they are highly effective, easy to use, and affordable, so you have no excuse not to use them.
If you feel a tingling sensation in your fingers or persistent numbness in your hand, you might already suffer from tendinitis or carpal tunnel syndrome, and you should really hurry up and buy a wrist rest ASAP.
1. What Are These Conditions, And How Can You Recognize Them?
- Tendinitis is a common condition among people who work on computers, but the good news is that it is preventable. Your tendons connect your muscles to the bones and make sure your limbs function as they should. If they get inflamed, you are facing tendinitis – a painful condition that often calls for medication or even immobilization of the affected part of your body. If you work on a deadline, tendinitis can be a serious problem as it will surely mess up your work schedule. If you do not treat this condition, you might end up with carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when a nerve in your wrist gets compressed. Namely, carpal tunnel houses both the median nerve and important tendons. If these tendons get inflamed, the channel narrows, and the nerve gets pressed down. When this happens, you will feel a lot of pain in that area as well as itching or burning sensation in your fingers. Sometimes you can experience numbness in the palm and fingers as well. You will not be able to work without proper therapy, and it will take quite some time for you to recover fully.
2. How Can You Avoid These Conditions?
Besides buying a wrist rest, you should try to follow a few simple advice:
- Always try to align your fingers, hands, and forearms correctly
- Try to move your fingers, wrist, and forearm in unison
- Avoid any obstruction that would restrict your normal movement
The wrist rest helps you follow these rules without even being aware of that. Namely, it puts your wrist and forearm in a proper position allowing them to move in sync with your fingers. Moreover, wrist rest aligns these components with your keyboard making sure there are no obstructions that would restrict your movement.
What Is A Wrist Rest And How To Choose The Right One?
A wrist rest features a simple pad design, and it is typically made from some sort of gel or memory foam. You should simply position this pad under your wrist while you are typing and you are good to go. It will eliminate tension on your muscles and tendons and help prevent tendinitis and carpal tunnel syndrome.
Wrist rest might be simple, but you should still consider a few things before you buy one. Having a lousy wrist rest can cause just as much trouble as not having one at all. You should, therefore, make sure that:
- The wrist rest you buy is made from high-quality materials that will not lose their shape quickly or deflate while in use
- The material your wrist rest is made of is easy to maintain so that you can keep it clean and sweet free at all times and thus avoid skin irritations
- The ergonomics of the wrist rest is proper and that it not only supports your wrist but also keeps it in a straight, neutral angle. If you are forced to bend your wrist sideways in order to reach the keys, your wrist rest causes more damage than good.
- Your wrist rest is not too bulky, as that would cause excessive pressure on the underside of your wrist.
You are all set to make an informed decision and choose the best deal out of all the wrist rests I have mentioned. You have to make the final decision and match the wrist rest to your keyboard.
If you ask me, I think that CushionCare Keyboard Wrist Pad represents the all-around best keyboard wrist rest you can buy. True, it is not the most affordable option, but if you have to mind every dollar, you can always buy the AmazonBasics Gel Wrist Rest.
The golden balance between the price and quality would be Fellowes Memory Foam Wrist Rest, but it won’t work for gamers.
Make your pick in accordance with your priorities, but be quick, or you can end up with tendonitis or carpal tunnel syndrome, and you do not want that to happen!