Top 5 Best Triathlon Watches 2020:
- Garmin Fenix 5X
- Suunto 9, GPS Sports Watch
- Coros APEX Premium Multisport GPS Watch
- Polar Vantage V – Premium GPS Multisport Watch
- Garmin Forerunner 945
Triathlon is a multisport race that challenges your endurance and abilities. It takes a lot of time and effort to prepare for a triathlon race and you have to constantly track your progress. The easiest and most effective way to do this is with a triathlon watch!
A triathlon watch is an amazing device that can help you improve yourself and your performance. It has a lot of useful features and it can track anything, from speed and distance to calories and heart rate.
A good triathlon watch is a durable, multisport device that will be helpful to you whatever sport you decide to do since most of them are equipped with metrics for over 100 sports!
There are a lot of amazing models available right now, so it can be hard to make the right decision. To help you choose, we’ve decided to make this list of the best triathlon watches.
So, if you’re curious to find out which one is the best triathlon watch, keep on reading!
5 Best Triathlon Watches In 2020: Detailed Reviews
1. Garmin Fenix 5X – Best Overall
Garmin is one of the best brands when it comes to triathlon watches. They have so many outstanding models and this is one of them. Garmin Fenix 5X is one of the ultimate multisport GPS watches out there.
This watch has full TOPO US mapping, routable cycling maps, and so many more navigation features. It is also perfect for the gym as it features preloaded gym activity profiles such as strength, cardio and elliptical training, stair-stepping, floor climbing, indoor rowing and yoga! You can choose which key stats you want to be shown on the display, like training load, training status and so on.
Fenix 5X has a protective PVD-coated stainless steel bezel and buttons with a reinforced housing for extreme durability. It is water-rated to 100 meters and it has advanced GPS and GLONASS satellite reception to track more challenging environments. It also has incredible battery life perfect for long adventures.
Another amazing thing about this watch is the display. It is a bright, high-resolution, full-color Garmin Chroma Display with LED backlighting that assures great readability in all conditions. There is also a scratch-resistant sapphire lens and it has WI-FI so you can connect your watch and automatically send activity data to your Garmin Connect account.
The watch also features physiological metrics and advanced running dynamics like Performance condition, Lactate threshold, Cadence, and Stride Length. These will help improve your form and overall performance.
- Ideal for extreme environments
- Long battery life
- Extraordinary display
- Water-resistant up to 100 meters
- A bit pricey
2. Suunto 9, GPS Sports Watch – Premium Choice
The Suunto 9 triathlon watch was designed for long-distance endurance athletes like ultra runners, ultra triathletes, exterior athletes and those who participate in multi-day events with over 80 different sports profiles.
The highlight feature of this multisport watch is battery life. The manufacturer claims it can last up to 120 hours in GPS mode thanks to the three intelligent battery modes – Performance, Endurance, and Ultra mode.
The watch also features Suunto’s Fused Track Technology that provides more accuracy for tracks and distance. It is water-resistant down to 100 meters and it has over 80 built-in sport modes including running, cycling, swimming, and many more. Suunto 9 watch has 24/7 tracking activity with instant heart rate, calorie and step counter as well as sleep tracking.
The design of the watch is quite impressive and powerful. It comes in a lot of colors, including white, black, copper, titanium, and gold leather. They all have stainless steel bezel, a sapphire glass screen, and a glass fiber reinforced polymer body.
The large stainless steel buttons have a smooth finish and the entire watch feels nice to the touch. The 24mm straps are removable and flexible. They are soft and super comfortable.
Not only does this watch track everything, but it also helps you stay safe outside with long battery life, storm alarms, weather updates, and sunset/sunrise times.
- Extremely long battery life
- Intelligent battery modes
- 80 built-in sports modes
- 24/7 tracking activity
- Comfortable and flexible strap
- It’s expensive
3. Polar Vantage V – Premium GPS Multisport Watch – Revolutionary Features
Polar Vantage V is Polar’s best triathlon watch. It has a smart and revolutionary design with a special feature called running power meter, and it’s perfect for athletes who are looking for the highest level of performance.
The most exciting thing about this watch is that it’s the world’s first wrist-based running power meter. You don’t need any other devices to track your running power because this watch records different metrics while you’re running and puts it all into one number!
When you look at the design and shape, you’ll notice it’s quite traditional. It has a classic wristwatch shape with a circular watch face. Thanks to this, you can wear it casually with your daily outfits, and it’ll look just like a regular watch.
But don’t let the classic look fool you, because Polar Vantage V is a high-quality watch that’s able to endure various conditions. The titanium case makes it a lightweight but highly-durable multisport watch. The textured wristband provides a premium look and feel.
This watch features incredible battery life. It can last up to 40 hours in GPS mode. It’s also got accurate barometric measurements, touchscreen color display, and five buttons on the side to scroll through different functions. It also has an optical heart sensor infused with Precision Prime Technology and activity tracking for more than 130 sports.
- 130+ sports modes
- Long battery life
- Revolutionary running power meter
- Lightweight but durable
- Some users complained it’s not very comfortable on the wrist
4. Coros APEX Premium Multisport GPS Watch – Budget-Friendly
Triathlon watches can be quite expensive, but this Coros Apex watch offers really good quality for money. It’s not as expensive as most but it will not disappoint you.
It is a high-quality, multisport watch made for athletes who want to train harder, safer and more efficiently. The battery life is amazing since it can last 30 days when in regular use, 100 hours in GPS UltraMax mode and 35 hours in normal GPS mode!
The design of the watch is simple and elegant. You can choose from many colors, including black, grey/black, midnight black, white, and white/silver. They come in two different sizes, for men and women. The model made for men has a 46mm premium titanium alloy bezel and the one made for women has a 42 mm ceramic bezel.
They all have a premium look and feel, sapphire glass and a digital knob to easily navigate from many to data screens. Unlike most triathlon watches, this one doesn’t have a touchscreen.
Coros Apex watch also features track navigation which allows you to import track routes into the watch and the watch will guide you the entire time, so there’s no need for you to worry about getting lost!
The watch includes a lot of metrics such as heart rate, calories, steps, altitude, temperature, distance, pace, and many more.
- More affordable compared to others
- Incredible battery life
- Sturdy design
- Has a lot of metrics
- Doesn’t have a touchscreen
5. Garmin Forerunner 945 – Amazing Functionalities
Garmin Forerunner 945 is the newest model in the Forerunner series. It is a high-performance watch created for triathletes and other types of multi-sport athletes. It will give you extremely precise metrics of whatever sport or sports you choose to do.
You can even download songs to your Forerunner 945 watch, including playlists from Spotify, Deezer, and Amazon Music. The face of the watch shows key stats from your workout and you can customize it so that it shows what’s important for you to see.
When you press the start button, Garmin Forerunner 945 will record, store and display your records. Once you’re done, make sure to press the save button. After you press save, you’ll be able to see the post-workout screens that outline your route and high-level stats. You can get more detailed stats by scrolling to different areas on the screen.
This watch also tracks sleep data automatically and it tracks your heart data when you’re training as well as resting. You can also get a lot of different metrics, such as training effect, anaerobic, aerobic, impacting tempo and your overall training status.
Garmin Forerunner 945 also has amazing battery life. It can last up to two weeks in smartwatch mode, 10 hours in GPS mode with music or 60 hours in UltraTrac mode!
- Multiple features and rates to keep track of your training
- Extremely detailed stats
- Tracks heart rate and sleep data
- Music capabilities
- Long battery life
- It’s a bit pricey
Things To Consider Before You Buy A Triathlon Watch
Good triathlon watches are quite expensive, so it’s important to make a smart decision before you spend your money. You have to consider things like battery life, the ruggedness of the watch, whether it is water-resistant, and so on. Here are the most important factors you should take into account before you choose which triathlon watch to buy.
1. Battery Life
- It’s a good idea to get a watch with sufficient battery life that is longer than your daily exercise routine. That way you’re making sure it won’t die in the middle of your workout.
- Battery life is particularly important when it comes to races because a triathlon race can last for many hours and you don’t want a watch that will die on your wrist after a couple of hours. A good triathlon watch should be able to last at least 6-8 hours in GPS mode. There are some watches that can last up to 120 hours in GPS mode!
2. Fit And Comfort
- In a race that lasts for many hours, the last thing you want is to feel uncomfortable or to have to adjust the watch on your wrist every two minutes. In order to achieve a comfortable fit, make sure that you choose a triathlon watch that has a flexible silicone strap and a smooth case material.
- When you consider how much a triathlon watch costs, it’s normal to expect that it will be able to go the distance and not break easily. In other words, high-quality and toughness should be guaranteed. You don’t want your watch to break after accidentally falling off your wrist or after bumping it into your bike’s handlebar, so make sure that the watch you choose was build to last and can withstand anything.
4. Water Resistance
- Every triathlon GPS watch should be waterproof, but that’s not enough. A triathlon watch is of no use if it is water-resistant but will not do or achieve much underwater. A good watch should be able to track the distance, show all the swimming metrics and some high-end watches can even monitor the pool laps, count your strokes and show you the type of stroke you are using. So, if you want to track swimming you should get a triathlon watch with an ATM rating of a depth of at least 50 meters. Some watches can go up to 100 meters!
5. Multisport Feature
- This is a crucial factor to consider in a triathlon watch. A watch that has a multisport transition feature will allow you to easily switch modes with a push of a button. When you switch from running to cycling or swimming, it should mark a split in time as it transitions, so, later on, you can review the information. The display should also change to fit the mode you chose, for example from miles an hour to miles a minute when you switch from cycling to running.
- If a watch doesn’t have this multisport transition feature, it will waste a lot of your time and you will lose the ability to review the whole workout as a single activity.
- A quick-release feature is particularly helpful for those who want to move the watch from their wrist to their bike and its importance depends entirely on your needs. Not all watches have this feature, so if it is important to you, make sure to check whether the watch you chose has it.
7. Connectivity With Workout Accessories
- Compatibility with other workout accessories can be very convenient and it’s something you shouldn’t pass on. A good triathlon watch should be compatible with heart rate monitors, speed sensors and so on. Some watches have Bluetooth sensors heart rate monitors that can work with devices like smartphones and tablets.
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
It is not easy to choose just five best triathlon watches since there are so many amazing choices. It all depends on what you need and what kind of design you prefer.
We’ve carefully selected these few and we can say with confidence that these are our top recommendations.
Best Overall: Garmin Fenix 5X
- Garmin is one of the best brands when it comes to triathlon watches. This Fenix 5X model will not disappoint you with its long battery life, extraordinary display and so many different metrics for all kinds of sports. It is made to be durable and survive extreme environments so you can be sure you have a watch that will last you a long time!
Premium Choice: Suunto 9, GPS Sports Watch
- This Suunto 9 triathlon watch is one of the most premium choices out there. Thanks to the three intelligent battery modes, it has an extremely long battery life, it is equipped with metrics for 80+ different sports and it tracks all your activities 24/7! It is a bit expensive, but it’s definitely worth it!
Budget-Friendly Option: Coros APEX Premium Multisport GPS Watch
- It’s difficult to find affordable but good triathlon watches and this Coros Apex watch is one of the rare watches that offer good value for money. Although it’s cheaper than others, it has one of the best battery lives. It also has a lot of metrics for different sports, and the design is quite simple and stylish!