Top 5 Best Fishing Pliers 2022:
- Piscifun Aluminum Fishing Pliers
- The Booms Fishing X1 Aluminum Pliers
- The Manley 6.5” Teflon and Vinyl Grip Super Pliers
- The Van Staal 6” Titanium Pliers
- Manley Professional Fishing Pliers
Do you have a fishing rod?
Are you equipped with all the reels, lures, and traces you need?
Well, that’s all good, but we are afraid that it is all in vain if you do not have good old fishing pliers.
This handy tool is indispensable. Without it, you will have trouble bending wires, cutting the fishing lines, and retrieving hooks. Unfortunately, most inexperienced anglers usually forget to buy fishing pliers when assembling their fishing gear.
Are you a newbie too?
If yes, do not worry, we will help you find all the right tools that will make your fishing effortless and highly productive, just like you were a professional with years of experience. You can thank us when you make your first premium catch.
We’ll start by helping you find the best fishing pliers. If you are already in the market for an ideal pair, you know that it is not an easy task. For this reason, we have prepared comprehensive fishing plier reviews of the top five models you can buy as well as a handy buying guide to help you choose wisely.
Let’s fish out the best fishing pliers for you!
See Also: The Best Spinning Rod
5 Best Fishing Pliers In 2022: Detailed Reviews
1. Piscifun Aluminum Fishing Pliers – Extra lightweight pliers with stainless steel jaws
If you are looking for high-quality lightweight pliers, you are sure to appreciate the Piscifun Aluminum Fishing Pliers. They feature a unique handle design. Namely, their handles are made of machine-cut all-aluminum, and instead of being solid, they have several holes which help keep the overall weight low. Unfortunately, this means that there are no silicone grips that would offer a superb grip in wet conditions. You win some, you lose some.
On the brighter note, these Piscifun fishing pliers feature corrosion-resistant stainless steel jaws of highest quality and endurance. They also offer numerous rig-friendly features such as a split ring tool, split shot crimper, and sleeve crimper.
The list of benefits does not end there, though. The spring-loaded design makes these pliers easy and comfortable to use while a belt clip sheath with a lanyard makes sure you can easily carry the pliers and have them at the arms reach whenever you need them.
Fully replaceable and extremely sharp tungsten carbide cutters enable you to cut the most robust braided lines and most cumbersome mono leader lines with minimal effort on your part. You can use the pliers for both freshwater and saltwater fishing.
- Stainless steel jaws
- Split ring tool, split shot crimper, and sleeve crimper
- Tungsten carbide line cutter
- User-friendly spring-loaded design
- A belt clip sheath with a lanyard
- Safe to use in freshwater and saltwater alike
- No silicone grips
2. The Van Staal 6” Titanium Pliers – Luxurious titanium pliers for high-end fishermen
The Van Staal pliers are made for those of you who have some extra cash to spare. They are high-end, beautiful pliers that come with a luxurious lanyard and embossed, stitched leather sheath, and they cost a small fortune. Are they worth it, though?
It is not all about the looks; these Van Staal pliers have much more to offer to justify their price tag. First of all, thanks to the titanium construction of the highest quality, they can withstand the harshest saltwater conditions you can imagine. They will not rust and are sure to serve you for many years to come.
Stubborn hooks will no longer be an issue thanks to the excellent holding power of the channel cut jaws. The ergonomic spring-loaded cutter cuts cleanly even through the toughest braided lines. You can expect precision when cutting very light lines as well. If need be, you can also sever hooks.
Both the anvil blades and the tungsten cutter are replaceable and make these pliers extra durable. Handles are ergonomic and comfortable to operate with. At this price, you might expect some multi-purpose features such as a split ring tool, but there are none.
- Superb craftsmanship
- Incredible durability
- Corrosion-proof 6AL-4V titanium construction
- The channel cut jaws
- Replaceable tungsten cutter and anvil blades
- Spring-loaded, ergonomic handles
- Come with a lanyard and a leather sheath
- Lack of multi-purpose features
- High price-tag
3. Manley Professional Fishing Pliers – Budget-friendly pliers with all-metal anodized aluminum construction
If you are not into the bells and whistles or multifunctionality, and you simply want a straightforward pair of fishing pliers, Manley Professional fishing pliers might be just what you need. They cost only a portion of what you would have to spend on much more expensive members of our top five list but are sure to serve their purpose for years to come.
This uncomplicated, corrosion-resistant pair of fishing pliers with a line cutter might lack some of the practical rig-building features due to their basic flat jaws, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. You might never need to crimp a sleeve onto a wire leader or open a split ring in the first place.
The good news is that an all-metal anodized aluminum construction makes these pliers lightweight and corrosion-resistant. You can use them in saltwater conditions and even choose a color to match your style or the rest of your fishing gear.
The spring-loaded handle design and tungsten carbide line cutters make all your fishing tasks even more straightforward. The grip might be too wide for some of you, though. You will receive a sheath and lanyard with a belt clip to keep the pliers near to you at all times.
- Basic flat jaws
- Corrosion-resistant all-metal construction
- Advanced surface coating
- Ideal for use in saltwater
- Four different colors
- Comes with a sheath and a lanyard
- Very wide grip might be too much for some anglers
4. The Booms Fishing X1 Aluminum Pliers – Cheapest medium-duty pliers you can rely on
The Booms Fishing X1 pliers are great multi-purpose fishing pliers that you can use to remove hooks, split rings, and crimp sleeves. They are very sharp and have no trouble cutting through all kinds of lines. Even the most robust braided lines are not a problem for their 70+ HRC tungsten carbide cutters.
Carbon coated stainless steel jaws are strong and durable too. The serrated edges guarantee a tight grip when removing hooks. The spring-loaded handle allows for super-easy one-handed use.
These piers are made from anodized aluminum, which makes them rather lightweight and corrosion-resistant. You need not worry about rust either in the freshwater or in the saltwater conditions.
The Booms Fishing X1 pliers are quite handy and portable, as you can hook them on to your belt and carry them around in your backpack or toolkit. They will not weigh you down in any way. However, if you need to do a lot of heavy-duty work, you might want to go for a different pair of pliers.
- Cheapest on our list
- Medium duty pliers ideal for light fishing
- Aluminum construction
- Corrosion-resistant in both saltwater and freshwater environments
- Replaceable tungsten cutters for extra durability
- Perfect for slicing through sturdy braided lines
- Slightly bent stainless steel jaws
- Spring-loaded handle for easy one-handed use
- A steel wire coiled lanyard and nylon holster
- Not suitable for heavy-duty work
5. The Manley 6.5” Teflon and Vinyl Grip Super Pliers – Heavy-duty option
The Manley 2006 Teflon and Vinyl grip fishing pliers are ideal for heavy-duty work and made for serious bluewater fishers. They will withstand even the harshest conditions and can thus manage not only saltwater and freshwater but offshore fishing as well.
These pliers feature short, stubby jaws that provide them with sufficient strength to remove big hooks from powerful game fish or even cut through barb hooks. Of course, mono, wire, or braided lines are no trouble at all.
On the downside, the cutters are forged as part of the jaw and cannot be replaced once they wear off, but that should not happen any time soon anyway. When it comes to sturdiness, they do not have competition on our list, but they do lack the precision of some other members of our top five club.
Featuring spring-loaded handles and being coated with rust-resistant Teflon, these pliers are both easy to handle and durable. Handles are covered with red vinyl plastisol grips for your utmost convenience, minimal hand fatigue, and unobstructed work in even the wettest possible conditions.
If you are more into light fishing, these pliers probably aren’t what you need due to their short head; you’ll be better off with needle-nose pliers.
- Ideal for heavy-duty work
- Robust, high-quality construction
- Side-mounted line cutters
- They stay sharp when cutting through wire
- Can be used to crush hook barbs in catch-and-release fishing
- Spring-loaded and coated with rust-resistant Teflon
- Red vinyl plastisol grips prevent slippage and reduce hand fatigue
- The blades are not replaceable
- Lack of precision
How To Choose The Best Fishing Pliers
There are a few things that must be considered when shopping for the best fishing pliers, and those are:
- It does not matter if you plan to fish in fresh or saltwater; your fishing pliers need to be rust and corrosion-resistant. Therefore, make sure you buy pliers made of high-quality materials that will not suffer any damage from water or salt. Your best options are aluminum and stainless steel, as they are both heavy-duty, durable, and highly resistant to corrosion.
- Handles made from aluminum make the pliers lightweight, while stainless steel jaws resist water damage, secure strong cutting power, and continued use. For reasons stated, this is the best combination of materials you can choose to buy.
- Handles are highly relevant when it comes to fishing pliers. You do not want to end up with uncomfortable handles that can cause sores or with handles you have to adjust to. For this reason, it is best to opt for handles with spring loads. They eliminate the need to adjust your grip as they have a loaded hinge that enables them to always return to their position, plus they are comfortable.
- A rubberized grip is always a good option as well, primarily when you work in wet conditions.
- The best fishing pliers should not weigh you down and should thus be light enough to carry around and operate with one hand. Aluminum construction is, therefore, a good choice, but some design solutions can reduce the overall weight as well.
4. Usability & Portability
- As we have already explained, fishing pliers are a must-have tool used for many different fishing-related activities. Therefore, you are sure to be using them quite frequently and should carry them with you at all times. The best pliers thus come with a strap or clip to be fastened to your belt or fishing bag. In this way, you’ll always have them at your arms reach and will never lose them.
5. Extra Features
- Extra features serve to sweeten the deal for the buyers. There are some features that make fishing pliers stand out on the market, too, such as kid-friendly round ends or non-slip rubberized insert grips. Some fishing pliers can even float on water, so you need not worry if you accidentally drop them into the lake or sea. You can buy fishing pliers with LED bulbs that double as torchlights too!
Conclusion & Our Recommendation
The fishing pliers on our top five list are certainly some of the best pliers you can find. They offer great value for your money, and they will help you become a better angler. You still cannot make up your mind?
Piscifun Aluminum Fishing Pliers offer exceptional quality and price ratio. They are multifunctional and ultra-lightweight, so they will not weigh down your toolkit.
If you want even more affordable fishing pliers, we have found an incredibly cheap pair that should cover all the basic needs of any angler. Despite their low price, the Booms Fishing X1 Aluminum Pliers are still rather strong, efficient, and durable and can thus manage most medium-duty work.
For heavy-duty work and offshore fishing, we can recommend the Manley 2006 Teflon and Vinyl Grip Super Pliers. They are the sturdiest on our list and can do some incredible work.
All the fishing pliers on our top five list offer great value for their price. Find the one that best suits your fishing style and needs and make a purchase – it will be worth every penny spent!