Top 5 Best Ice Fishing Lines 2021:
- P-Line Floroice Clear Fishing Line
- Piscifun Onyx Braided Fishing Line
- Sufix Ice Magic Fishing Line
- Celsius Tip Up Line, 15-Pounds
- Berkley Trilene Micro Ice Fishing Line
There are some people who do not see the appeal of ice fishing. Boy, how wrong they are. First of all, fishing, in itself, is one incredibly engaging and entertaining outdoor sport. Moving the whole thing on the ice only makes the entire thing even more exciting and healthy.
Yeah, there are very few things as satisfying as angling while the cold winter wind breezes across your face.
Well, actually, there is one – coming home with a lot of fish. And as every experienced fisher out there knows sheer will and passion for fishing won’t cut it here. You only need professional fishing equipment.
So, let us take a look at a couple of popular products and try to find the best ice fishing line the money can currently buy.
Even if you find the biggest flock in the world, you will stay hungry at the end of the day if you don’t have something to pull them out.
Here are our top five contenders.
Related: The Best Ice Fishing Rod
5 Best Ice Fishing Lines In 2021: Detailed Reviews
1. P-Line Floroice Clear Fishing Line – Best Ice Fishing Line Overall
Do you know how an ice fishing line that checks all the right boxes looks like? Well, you can take a look at P-Line Floroice Fishing Line, and you will get a pretty good idea. Although not perfect, this product probably comes as close to that flattering title as possible.
What makes it so special?
Well, for a start, there is the fact that this unit is virtually invisible when sunk into the water. We even struggled to take a good look at it when we stretched it across the ice on the bright sunny day. So, write a huge plus into this column.
The second thing we would like to give a special shout-out is the excellent resistance to extreme temperatures. We had an opportunity to test the line in a variety of different weather conditions. Still, the line never became brittle or lost its elasticity. Definitely living up to the expectations.
The rest is business as usual – the line is strong, offers great feedback, and the silicone coating lends the product an additional layer of strength as durability.
Unfortunately, there are some flaws. The most notable is that the surface of the line is a bit slippery, so the knots tend to become loose from time to time. Still, that’s something we can live with.
- Good price value ratio
- Excellent performance on low temperatures
- Solid strength and elasticity
- Near invisible
- Not the strongest knots on the market
2. Sufix Ice Magic Fishing Line – Best Affordable Ice Fishing Line
The manufacturers aiming for entry-level price segments are often faced with a difficult question – what features can be sacrificed to lower the price but still roll out a satisfying product.
We are happy to report that the people from Sufix have found the magic formula. Sure, their Ice Magic Fishing Line is far from perfect, but it still does enough things well to warrant your attention.
Oh yeah, it’s also dirt cheap.
So what essential features were sacrificed on the road to this lucrative price point? Well, the line is admittedly stiff and features way too much memory. Although this combination provides reliable feedback, pray heavens, the line doesn’t get tangled.
The casting is pretty poor, as well.
But, on the other hand, the line is very strong and performs well at low temperatures. Even if your prey struggles to the last atom of strength, there is no way the line will end up broken.
We are also delighted with the overall design. With so much durability on the table, you would expect the line to be thick and opaque. But not – the unit is as thin as it is invisible when sunk in the water. No need to fear you are going to scare fish away.
All in all, a very good if a bit flawed product.
- Great value proposition
- Strong and durable
- Thin enough
- Good performance in low temperatures
- Too much memory
- Somewhat stiff
3. Piscifun Onyx Braided Fishing Line – Best Premium Ice Fishing Line
Calling this line an ice fishing line would not be entirely fair to the people from Piscifun. They have put too much effort into this product to aim for such a narrow market segment. So, this is not that much a good ice fishing line as a great fishing line in general.
Great news if you want to move the fun away from ice and try out your skills on different types of fish.
But, even if you keep the affairs strictly ice-bound, you would be glad to know that this braided line offers excellent strength and resistance to low temperatures. The stretch is present, but it’s kept on the bare minimum, which means you will always be the one in control.
We also want to mention that the intertwined threads are neatly wrapped into Nano Resin Coating that supplies the line with the additional 10% abrasion resistance. In other words, you will be able to deal even with the toughest catch out there with ease and grace.
Keeping this complex build in mind, the whole package is surprisingly slim, so props to that.
Still, we can’t deny that the lines are very visible even if you pick some water-friendly option. Also, the longer options are a bit too pricey for a casual angler.
- Slim and durable
- Good performance on different temperatures
- Excellent feedback
- The stretch is spot on
- Very visible
- The price could be lower
4. Celsius Tip Up Line, 15-Pounds – Best Ice Fishing Line for Beginners
It’s always frustrating to see the product that does so many things right but fails at the issues that can’t be described any other way than line making 101.
In the case of Celsius Tip Up Line, that child disease that almost spoils the entire package is the unit’s cover surface. Yes, although this braided line looks straight at first glance, take a closer look, and you will find the surface frayed at every 10-15 feet.
And that was not a one-time issue. We tested a couple of packages, and all of them featured the same problem. That may as well be a deal-breaker for the professional fishermen.
The reason why we said almost spoils the entire package is that the casual anglers will still find a lot of things to enjoy in this line.
For example, if we put poor craftsmanship aside, we can see that the unit actually features very solid durability and doesn’t become too brittle once sunk into the ice-cold water. The feedback we got from the prey was also above the average.
The visibility, or lack thereof to put it more precisely, is also very satisfying. Of course, only as long as you keep the line in the dark water.
Bottom line – the product is good enough if you are not overly demanding.
- Very affordable
- Solid durability
- Good performance in cold water
- Good feedback
- Poor craftsmanship
5. Berkley Trilene Micro Ice Fishing Line – The Toughest Ice Fishing Line
Finally, we have an ice fishing line coming from Berkley – a name well-known amongst fishermen of all backgrounds and experience levels. When we get our hands on such a famous brand, it is only natural to set our expectations high, right?
Well, not in this case. As a matter of fact, you will get much more enjoyment out of this product if you approach it as any other mid-range piece of fishing equipment.
Now, you may ask yourself where this critical attitude comes from. After all, the line made the top five. But, we can’t forgive this product performing like an old spool – especially coming from such a renowned brand.
Seriously, this thing packs so much memory you’ll be able to create modern art out of it. At one point, we had to keep it soaked in water for a good hour just to make sure we’ll be able to mount it on the rod.
But, this excessive stiffness has its advantages. One of them is that the line is tough as nails. We tried it on a couple of different types of fish, and neither one of them managed to break the unit – not even after a couple of hours in the ice-cold water.
So, there is something good going on here after all.
- Tough as nails
- Can spend hours in the cold water
- Excellent durability
- Too stiff for casual users
Characteristics To Look For In A Best Ice Fishing Line
And now that we’ve covered our contenders, we have to do one important thing before we proclaim which one of them deserves to carry the title of the best ice fishing line on the market. Yes, we need to set some standards we will use to compare them.
You see, although they look very simple, fishing lines are the products that feature a lot of variety. Hidden in that variety are a lot of cheap, sub-par products you should actively avoid. Well, at least if you want to actually put something on the table.
Learning more about the critical features and different options will definitely help you to make a worthwhile purchase. Even if you don’t agree with the choices, we are going to make further down below.
See Also: The Best Fishing Plier
1. The Type Of Line
Ice fishing lines are made from a lot of different materials and in many different ways. However, most of the products you can find in the stores fall in one of these three groups.
- Monofilament – As you can probably guess from the name, monofilament is made from only one strand of plastic material. This concept has its share of pros and cons. For instance, due to their limp quality, monofilament lines are excellent for casting, stretch well, and are very simple to knot. On the other hand, the fact they feature only one strand makes them a bit weaker than their counterparts.
- Fluorocarbon – Fluorocarbon is a new type of line that has gained a lot of popularity among the experienced anglers over the last couple of years, and for a good reason, too. These lines are especially useful for ice fishing because their weight sinks them deeper into the water, they do stretch but not too much, and feature great tensile strength. Their main drawback is that fluorocarbon units are pretty stiff, which makes casting a bit harder than it should be.
- Braided – Braided lines are made from several strings of sturdy fiber. Some of them even feature the coating layer that lends them stronger resistance to water. Due to their complex build, they are by far the most reliable option on the market. Also, they offer great feedback, which makes them excellent for fishing with a worm. However, these qualities come at the cost of the complete lack of elasticity and high visibility, even in dark water.
2. The Supported Weight
- Much like in the previous instance, here we have no clear winner. It all depends on the type of fish you are going to catch. For example, there is no point in losing all the inherent benefits of monofilament lines if your prey is very light.
- Keeping that in mind, you should know that most of the currently available options usually sit somewhere in the 2-400LBS range and that the second number indicates the line’s breaking point.
3. Resistance To Low Temperatures
- Even though they are made for ice fishing, some of the thinner and softer lines tend to freeze up and become brittle on extremely low temperatures. That renders them virtually unusable. So, if you are going to go out and try fishing in the dead of winter, you need to make sure your line will remain pliable even in the lowest of temperatures.
- When swimming through cold water, fish tends to become lazy and sluggish. In other words, even if your prey falls for the bait, it won’t offer too much resistance. That is why you need to find a line that will be as sensitive as possible. Otherwise, you won’t be able to notice all the subtle jigs. Braided lines do an excellent job in this department.
5. Resistance To Abrasion
- When we said that wish becomes lazy in cold water, don’t take this as a rule set in stone. Some types will put on a real fight. So, do take into the equation how vigorous is the fish you are going to catch. If you are going against something more stubborn, you will need a line with high resistance to abrasion.
- As we can see, these qualities often come at the expanse of the others. So, finding the ideal product will largely depend on your personal requirements.
Related: The Best Spinning Rods
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
We have finally come to the very end. That means only one thing – it’s finally time for us to proclaim the winner of this roundup and tell you what is the best ice fishing line you can currently buy. And what a great contest this was.
Even the units that left us a bit disappointed gave us an excellent excuse to spend a couple of hours outside and reignite our love for ice fishing. The meals were also great.
But, it’s time to leave the pleasantries aside and get to the business. There are our top three ice fishing lines.
Best Product Overall: P-Line Floroice Clear Fishing Line
- We have already said a lot of good things about this product in the review, but some things are worth reiterating. So, the line works like a charm. It’s virtually invisible and doesn’t become brittle in extremely low temperatures. Durability? Excellent. What else could we expect from a product build around these very qualities? Not that much to be quite honest.
Best Premium Ice Fishing Line: Piscifun Onyx Braided Fishing Line
- This product is very similar to the previous mention. In other words, it packs all the qualities necessary for one incredibly gratifying ice fishing experience. The main difference – this one can be used in all other circumstances just as efficiently. Of course, this increase in versatility comes with a slightly heftier price tag, so we decided to give this product an honorary title of our premium pick.
Best Budget Product: Sufix Ice Magic Fishing Line
- Not every fisherman needs cutting-edge professional equipment to have some fun on the ice. If you consider yourself a part of this casual crowd, you will find a lot of things to enjoy in the Sufix Ice Magic Fishing Line. The product is durable, easy to use, and what’s more important, very cheap. Even if you are not that satisfied in the end, you will lose very little. We say, give it a try and judge for yourself.