Top 5 Best Portable Fans 2022:
- VersionTECH. Mini Handheld Fan
- OPOLAR Mini Portable Battery Operated Desk Fan
- Honeywell HTF090B Turbo On-The-Go Personal Fan
- O2COOL Deluxe Necklace Fan
- SkyGenius Battery Operated Clip-On Mini Desk Fan
We all love soaking up the sun during the summer months. But when the temperatures start rising and reach a certain point, staying comfortable becomes a tricky business.
Ceiling fans and AC units are probably the first solutions that come to mind, right?
However, if you tend to travel a lot – and know how hot and sweaty things can get from the first-hand experience – you can see why a more personal source of fresh air may be a necessity.
And by “personal,” we mean compact, lightweight, powerful, and inexpensive – just like the best portable fan should be.
So, if you’re wondering how to prepare for the upcoming summer and stay cool on the go, you came to the right place:
We did the research to spare you from the hours you’d spend browsing through countless product pages. Read on and take your pick!
Related: The Best Cooling Fan For Rooms
5 Best Portable Fans In 2022: Detailed Reviews
1. VersionTECH. Mini Handheld Fan – Best Handheld Personal Fan
VersionTECH managed to create what many consider the best portable handheld fan. And since you’re probably wondering what makes this one so unique, the secret is in its unmatched versatility:
Yes, this is primarily a handheld personal fan, but at the same time, it’s so much more than that. Besides holding it in your hand, you can also use it as a clip-on fan, hang it nearby, or simply let it sit on the table.
The fan measures 4.9 x 1.7 x 5.8 inches, so it’s compact, but at the same time, the six-blade fan with three different speed settings ensures that you feel a cool breeze from up to nine feet away.
Besides being compact, the 180-degree folding design makes it even easier to store for traveling, too. No matter where you go, you can have your VersionTECH fan by your side and use it on the go!
Plus, we like that it uses two power sources for maximum convenience – you can either rely on the rechargeable battery for power or use a direct USB connection.
Battery life could be better, but considering the alternative power source, which enables you to use a power bank on the go, there’s not much room for complaints.
- Three fan speed settings with a nine-foot air circulation range
- Versatile design for hanging, clip-on, and handheld use
- Compact and foldable for maximum portability
- Battery- or USB-powered fan
- Relatively quiet operation
- Battery life isn’t that good
2. Honeywell HTF090B Turbo On-The-Go Personal Fan – Best Lightweight Personal Fan
It’s nice to see a familiar brand like Honeywell on a list like this, isn’t it?
Surprisingly enough, even though it comes from such a reputable manufacturer, the Turbo On-The-Go personal fan still has a stunningly low price tag. So, if you want a cheap but efficient cooling solution, this one may be worth considering.
One of the biggest perks of this On-The-Go fan is that measures a mere 5 x 2.2 x 6 inches, and weighs only 0.6 ounces.
But despite its compact and oh-so-lightweight frame, this fan holds enough power to remind us that it’s a member of Honeywell’s TurboForce line. Thanks to the signature aerodynamic turbo design that maximizes air movement, you get intense personal cooling in a tiny package.
The integrated handle makes it easy to hang and carry around for on-the-go comfort and acts as a stand if you want to let the fan sit on a nearby surface. Either way, you’ll feel the breeze from up to three feet away.
The fan relies on four AA batteries for power. They’re not included in the deal, so you’ll have to buy them separately – but until then, you can power your fan through a USB cable.
Our only real complaint is that there’s no way to adjust the fan speed.
- Compact, lightweight, and foldable
- Aerodynamic turbo design maximizes air movement
- Three-foot air circulation range
- Has an integrated handle that can act as a stand
- Battery- and USB-powered
- Fan speed isn’t adjustable
- Batteries not included
3. OPOLAR Mini Portable Battery Operated Desk Fan – Best Battery-Powered Desk Fan
The next one up is a real beast compared to the previous two. Considering the sheer amount of power, lots of handy features, and a compact, smart design that you’re getting for the money, this is probably one of the best battery-operated desk fans out there.
Seriously, this OPOLAR battery-operated fan goes all out in the power department, with its fan reaching speeds of up to 3200 RPM. Even more so, it features three available speed settings, but at the same time, it remains relatively quiet.
On “Low” and “Medium” settings, it’s barely noticeable.
That said, it’s surprisingly compact for the amount of air that it can stir up; the whole thing measures 4.1 x 1.6 x 5.9 inches. It weighs 7 ounces, which is far from heavy – but it’s quite a bit more than the previous one.
The built-in, rechargeable battery is every bit as impressive, lasting up to 13 hours, depending on the speed setting. And if you run out of juice, any USB-compatible device could work as an alternative power source.
Also, OPOLAR gets bonus points for the built-in blue LED lights, which contribute to its overall attractiveness, as well as the handy side-mounted flashlight.
- Compact but powerful and quiet
- Three fan settings with a speed of 3200 RPM
- Rechargeable battery lasts up to 13 hours
- Blue atmosphere LED lights and a flashlight on the side
- No way to adjust the airflow direction
4. O2COOL Deluxe Necklace Fan – Best Necklace Fan
For better or for worse, the O2COOL necklace fan is bound to attract some attention. But the thing is, it doesn’t make its purpose very clear:
You can tell that it’s some type of brightly colored, modern-looking gadget, but if you’re not that familiar with the concept of necklace fans, it may leave you scratching your head.
Since it’s a necklace fan, you’ll appreciate the fact that it measures only 1.1 x 3.3 x 4.6 inches, and weighs 1.44 ounces. Even more, the thin profile ensures that it lays flat on your chest.
The lanyard serves as a “necklace” and has a break-away design for safety. Interestingly enough, the vent is located at the top. That way, with the tiny 2.5-inch fan working inside, you get constant airflow that blows up and toward your face.
The fan’s “power” could be compared to a light breeze. Then again, considering that it blows directly at your neck and face, it should be more than enough to keep you comfortable.
It relies on two AA batteries for power, which, again, aren’t included in the package, but they can keep the fan running for up to 12 hours, so we’ll let it slide.
- Thin profile that sits flat on the chest
- Has a break-away lanyard
- Top vent directs airflow toward the face
- Runs for up to 12 hours
- Available in several bright colors
- Batteries are not included
- Has only one speed
- The airflow is relatively weak
5. SkyGenius Battery Operated Clip-On Mini Desk Fan – Best Clip-On Fan
It may have landed at the very bottom of our round-up, but make no mistake about it:
When it comes to the best clip-on desk fans, this SkyGenius option tops the list!
Measuring 7.5 x 6 x 4 inches and with a weight of 9.6 ounces, it’s probably the bulkiest portable fan we talked about today – but it’s still far from bulky. Plus, the amount of power that it brings to the table – pun intended – it enough to overlook a few extra ounces:
This little guy is powered by a rechargeable battery and has variable speed control – from lowest to highest and everything in between – and at the maximum setting pushes air at 10.5 feet per second. You can expect it to work for up to six hours before needing a recharge.
Our favorite thing, however, is that the clip-on design makes it incredibly versatile:
From work desks and gyms to camping chairs and baby strollers, there’s no limit to where you can use this clip-style fan! And at the same time, the clip acts as a stand, too.
The flexibility doesn’t end there, though; thanks to the 360-degree vertical and horizontal adjustments, you can not only place the fan where you need it the most but direct the airflow, as well.
- Versatile and flexible design
- Fully variable fan speed control
- Allows for 360-degree horizontal and vertical adjustments
- Uses a rechargeable battery
- Can be powered and charged via USB
- Larger than other options
Factors To Consider When Buying The Best Portable Fan
We already showed you what the market has to offer when it comes to the best portable fans – but we’re not done yet.
Stick around for an overview of crucial factors that should be considered when shopping for a portable fan; it’s going to make the final decision a whole lot easier!
1. Type Of Fan
We’re probably stating the obvious here, but not all fans are made equal.
The actual differences in design and functionality can be mind-blowing – and the fact that there are so many different brands and models to choose from doesn’t help, either.
Now, before you get overwhelmed, remember that the right type of fan for you is the one that fits your needs. We’ll list a few of the more popular – and highly portable – fan types below:
- Handheld – If you’re always on the move, handheld fans are the way to go, as they’re often compact enough to fit in your bag or pocket for easy access at all times.
- Desk – Although they’re bigger than handheld options, desk fans do come with the advantage of being able to cool a larger area. They can be the right choice for hotels, picnic tables, and the like.
- Clip – These fans are designed to clip onto something, hence the name. If you often find yourself sitting in a camping chair, a clip fan might be an option worth considering.
- Hanging – There are two types of hanging fans; those that hang on something and those that hang around your neck. Either way, they can be the right choice for traveling, camping, and days at the beach.
2. Battery Performance
The next consideration – and a crucial one when it comes to best portable fans – would be how the fan is powered.
It would be best to get a model that relies on both batteries as well as power adapters. These are, in our experience, some of the most useful and versatile options out there.
- Battery-powered fans can be an excellent choice, too, especially if you plan on using your fan in places where you may not have access to electricity.
- Some fans use non-rechargeable, single-use batteries, whether it’s AA or AAA ones, and are highly recommended if electricity isn’t an option. See Also: The Best AAA Flashlight
- Others are rechargeable – through USB cables, power banks, or car chargers – and eliminate the need for buying replacement batteries. If you know that you’ll have access to electricity, a portable fan with a rechargeable battery is the way to go.
- Also, don’t forget to take battery life – how long it takes for the battery to run out of juice – into consideration. A fan with a dead battery makes for a hot, sweaty, and uncomfortable afternoon.
3. Power & Fan Speed
These are portable, compact fans that we’re talking about here; they will never be able to compete with full-blown ceiling fans in the power department.
Still, that doesn’t mean that power and fan speed aren’t factors worth considering. If you’re not careful, you may end up wasting your money on a fan that doesn’t move enough are or have enough power to cool you down.
On that note, the RPM – revolutions per minute – rating and battery size are pretty good indicators of how powerful the fan is.
Also, be sure to check if the fan speed is adjustable.
Again, portable fans can’t quite compete with the customization options of larger models, but you should still aim to get one that, at the very least, features “Low” and “High” speed settings.
4. Size & Weight
When it comes to things like traveling, hiking, and camping, the size and weight of the items that you carry with you are always a big deal. Every inch and every ounce matters.
If you were getting a desk fan, this wouldn’t be such a big deal. But the whole reason why you’re getting a portable fan is, well, portability. It wouldn’t make much sense to get one that’s big, bulky, and way too heavy to be used on the go, now, would it?
- First off, be sure to check the dimensions of the unit. You want something that will easily fit in your luggage or backpack. And if you’re going to go extra-small, pocket-sized fans are an option, too.
- Second, consider the weight; your portable fan should always be light enough to carry with you regularly.
See Also: The Best Window Fan
Final Thoughts & Recommendations
You read the reviews and the buying guide, but you’re still feeling indecisive about what’s the best portable fan for you? Here are a few of our personal favorites:
If you want something powerful and versatile, then the VersionTECH. Mini Handheld Fan is probably the fan for you.
And if you’d like something that can be as useful at your work desk as it is on a camping trip, the OPOLAR Mini Portable Battery Operated Desk Fan should be among your top choices.
Whichever fan you end up choosing, one thing’s certain:
You’ll stay as cool as a cucumber this summer!