Top 5 Best AAA Flashlights 2020:
- UltraTac K18 Powerful Keychain Flashlight
- SureFire Titan Ultra-Compact LED Keychain Light Series
- Maglite Solitaire LED 1-Cell AAA Flashlight
- ThruNite Ti3 EDC Cree XP-G2 R5 AAA Torch Max120 Lumens LED Flashlight
- Prometheus Lights Beta Quick Release v2 Keychain Flashlight
Before smartphones, most people used to own flashlights since they are useful tools that can be helpful in case of an emergency. We believe that despite all the new technology it is still a good idea to own a flashlight, especially a practical and compact one like an AAA flashlight.
AAA flashlights are lightweight, small in size and easy to carry anywhere. They cannot be compared to the flashlight function on a phone since a phone light is not as bright and doesn’t have as long a beam distance as AAA flashlights.
If there is ever an emergency and your phone battery has died, you will be more than happy that you decided to buy an AAA flashlight!
And if you’re wondering what to look for in a flashlight and what are the best lights out there, you’re in the right place. To find out which is the best AAA flashlight, keep on reading!
5 Best AAA Flashlights In 2020: Detailed Reviews
1. UltraTac K18 Powerful Keychain Flashlight – Rechargeable by USB
UltraTac designed this flashlight to be a unique and high-performance tool that comes at a reasonable price.
Unlike most flashlights on the market, this one doesn’t have a head switch which is used to turn it on and set the mode. Instead, it has a side button, which is much easier to use. With a press of the button, you can choose between three levels of brightness with extra strobe.
The levels on this fleshlight are 3 lumens on low, 25 on medium and 100 on high. However, if you supply it with a 10440 battery, it can reach up to 370 lumens. It also features flashlight memory which means it will remember the last mode used when you turn it off.
One of the most useful features is that you can recharge it by connecting it with a Micro USB cable to any computer, USB car or USB wall charger. This is extremely helpful because you usually have one of these on hand and you don’t have to worry about carrying an extra charger.
This flashlight is compact so it will be a great asset on any adventure. It is waterproof and resistant to impacts, which means it will be durable in all conditions. Thanks to its heavy construction, you can use it in heavy rain and snow without worrying it will break down.
- USB rechargeable
- Waterproof and resistant to impact
- Uses a side button mode switch
- In time you will have to charge it more often
2. SureFire Titan Ultra-Compact LED Keychain Light Series – Premium Choice
Possibly one of the best AAA flashlights on the market right now is this one by SureFire. This is a second-generation SureFire Titan flashlight, and this one is more bright and has three levels, compared to the old one which has only two. It is certainly an improvement of the previous version.
The high-performance LED is made to maximize output and runtime and it has three useful levels: 15 lumens on low, 75 lumens on medium and 300 lumens on high. Thanks to the proprietary faceted reflector, this flashlight has a broad and smooth MaxVision Beam that matches your field of view. This is extremely useful since it gives you great situational awareness.
The SureFire flashlight is made of nickel-plated brass – a durable material resistant to corrosion and scratching. It is powered by a rechargeable AAA NiMH battery which comes with the flashlight. However, the charger is not included and you have to buy it separately. You can also buy a single AAA alkaline battery if you don’t want to purchase the charger.
There is also a removable, two-position pocket clip and quick detach tail cap made of plastic so you can carry this flashlight in multiple ways. Using SureFire Titan flashlight is very simple; all you need to do is twist the head switch counterclockwise repeatedly to set the output level or to turn it off.
- 300 lumens – one of the brightest flashlights!
- Rechargeable AAA NiMH battery included
- Made of a durable material
- Charger not included
- It’s pricey
3. ThruNite Ti3 EDC Cree XP-G2 R5 AAA Torch Max120 Lumens LED Flashlight – Perfect Size for Keychains
This model by ThruNite is a solid, lightweight and compact flashlight. It is also one of the smallest high-performance lights available.
With a maximum of 120 lumens and a maximum 50 meters beam distance, you can choose from three brightness levels with extra strobes. The lowest one is called firefly and it emits 0.04 lumens, and it’s followed by 12 lumens on low, and 120 lumens on high setting. An extra strobe function is available using 120 lumens.
On firefly mode, the battery should last for 115 hours, on low setting expect around 6.3 hours, on high for about 0.5 hours and on the extra strobe function for about an hour.
This ThruNite flashlight has a reversible pocket clip and a keyring attachment. The reversible pocket clip allows you to attach it to your hat brim but most people like this flashlight because it is so small you can put it on your keychain and always have it by your side.
One unique thing about this model is that it comes in two versions, Ti3 NW (neutral white) and Ti3 CW (cool white). The neutral one is more similar to home light bulbs because of its warmer shade. It is great for indoor use or nighttime since it renders colors well while the cool white emits white light with a bluish tint which renders colors inaccurately.
- Easy to carry due to its compact size
- Super low firefly mode to use without disturbing others
- Reversible pocket clip and a keyring attachment
- Battery not included
4. Prometheus Lights Beta Quick Release v2 Keychain Flashlight – Professional-grade flashlight
If you are a fan of aesthetically pleasing minimalism, you will like this flashlight by Prometheus Lights. The manufacturer claims this is a professional-grade flashlight of a compact size.
The aluminum body with Electroless Nickel Plate makes this a durable and reliable device with sturdy construction. Across the entire flashlight body, there are evenly spaced grooves for a better grip.
With a quick-release feature, the revolutionary design will make it easy for you to remove the flashlight from your keychain and it will fit perfectly in your palm thanks to its small size. Apart from the keyring, there is a reversible titanium pocket clip so you can attach the flashlight wherever you wish.
Like most flashlights, this one also has three levels of brightness. Low level emits 1 lumen, medium level emits 15, and high emits 80 lumens at a 30 meters beam distance. It is also very easy to switch between the levels. All you need to do is simply twist the head switch to turn it on, set the mode, and turn it off.
One exceptional feature of this flashlight is the quality of light it provides. It delivers 92 + CRI, a clear natural light. Compared to many flashlights that have a limited color spectrum, with Prometheus Lights flashlight, you will be able to see colors as clear as on a bright sunny day!
- Premium aluminum body
- Delivers clear, natural light
- Has a quick-release feature
- Lightweight and compact for every day carry
- A bit pricey
5. Maglite Solitaire LED 1-Cell AAA Flashlight – Extremely Budget-Friendly
Maglite Solitaire flashlight was first introduced in 1988 and since then it hasn’t changed much. It relies on its traditional design and trustworthy quality. The only thing that changed is the switch from a 2-lumen incandescent bulb to LED.
It may not be the strongest or brightest light out there, but it will get the job done, especially for the price it comes at. Its small design makes it a handy tool that is good to always have by your side. It is a perfect choice if you’re looking for a basic flashlight that doesn’t have many features and is very simple to use.
It only has one brightness mode and you can turn it on by twisting the head switch. This mode outputs 37 lumens.
Even though it is very basic and doesn’t have the brightest output, it has a sturdy construction. The body of the flashlight is made of aluminum and type II hard anodized. This makes it very durable and resistant to corrosion and all weather conditions. You can be sure you’ll be able to use it for years to come.
Thanks to its size, it is very easy to carry it with you especially because you can put it on your keychain and always have it with you in case of an emergency. It is perfect for camping, climbing, fishing and other outdoor activities.
- Basic and simple to use
- Due to its compact size, it fits everywhere
- Very budget-friendly
- Only has one brightness level
Why You Should Buy An AAA Flashlight?
Flashlights that use AAA batteries are the best for every day carry due to their small size. They are very compact and most of them you can put on your keychain. This way, you will always have a light that you can use easily in case of an emergency or for basic everyday tasks.
Even if you have and prefer to use a large flashlight, it is still a good idea to have a small AAA flashlight on your keychain because it can help you find the large one in case there is ever an emergency.
Another reason to get an AAA flashlight is that the AAA batteries are very easy to find, they are disposable and rechargeable. If your battery dies, chances are you will find an AAA battery at any gas station.
Most high-end AAA flashlights come with chargers so you can charge them whenever it is convenient for you. Some also have a feature that allows you to charge them using a Micro USB cable so you can even charge them in your car.
Things To Consider Before Buying An AAA Flashlight
Most AAA flashlights are made to be durable and resistant to all weather conditions like heavy rain or snow and they will last a long time.
If you’re not sure what to consider before you choose an AAA flashlight, here are some of the crucial elements that you should really think about before you make a decision.
1. Types Of Battery
- When it comes to batteries, you can choose from two options – rechargeable and primary (not rechargeable) AAA batteries. If you want to get a rechargeable battery, keep in mind that you will also need to get a charger. Sometimes you get a charger included when you buy an AAA flashlight, but this is not always the case. So, if you’re getting a rechargeable battery, make sure to check whether it comes with a charger or you need to buy one separately.
- One more thing about the AAA flashlight is that they can also use rechargeable 10440 batteries. If you don’t know a lot about different flashlight batteries, these two are the same size. 10440 batteries will increase the output into the 200 – 300 range. However, it is not recommended to do this because the flashlight will get really hot and it can easily burn out.
- If you’re shopping for an AAA flashlight, it is probably because of their small size. The most practical AAA flashlights are the one that you can put on your keychain, or in your pocket or bag. Most AAA flashlights are very small in size, but still, try to pay attention before you buy one, since there are some extremely small ones, the so-called mini AAA flashlights. In most cases, the flashlight body is not a lot bigger than the battery.
3. Special Features
- Sometimes AAA flashlights have some special features that can make them very useful. For example, flashlight memory or a strobe feature.
- Flashlight memory can be very helpful in some situations where you need to turn off the light and turn it back on to the same mode. In this case, the flashlight memory will remember the last level it was on before you turned it off, and next time you turn it on, it will be set to that same level. This will save you some time since you won’t have to twist the head switch or press any buttons.
- A strobe feature can sometimes be helpful, but most flashlight owners don’t really like this feature, and this is why some manufacturers decided to hide the strobe feature so that it is not in the normal mode rotation.
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
Indeed, AAA flashlights can be very useful tools. Thanks to their size, they can fit anywhere and you can always easily carry them with you in case you need one for basic stuff or in case of an emergency.
After careful consideration, we are happy to tell you which AAA flashlights are our top recommendations.
Best Overall: UltraTac K18 Powerful Keychain Flashlight
- This UltraTac flashlight is, by far, one of the best flashlights on the market, especially in this price range. It has three brightness levels and it can be charged using a Micro USB cable. It is also water-resistant, perfect for heavy rain or snowy weather.
Our Premium Pick: SureFire Titan Ultra-Compact LED Keychain Light Series
- With the ability to emit 300 lumens with an included AAA battery, SureFire Titan flashlight certainly is one of the brightest on the market. If you can spend a little bit more money on a flashlight, you will not go wrong with this one!
Best Budget-Friendly: Maglite Solitaire LED 1-Cell AAA Flashlight
- If you’re looking for a basic flashlight with only one brightness level, then this Maglite Solitaire is the best one for you. It has a classic design, traditional features, and sturdy construction. On top of that, it comes at a very affordable price!