Top 5 Best Car Battery Chargers 2021:
- Clore Automotive Jump-N-Carry JNC660 1700 Car Battery Charger
- BLACK+DECKER BM3B Car Battery Charger
- Schumacher SC1281 Fully Automatic Battery Charger
- Battery Tender Plus 021-0128 Car Battery Charger
- GOOLOO SuperSafe Car Jump Starter
The winter season is upon us, and frost and snow are a regular occurrence. It might be good news for the kids eager to make a snowman, but the adults are surely not as thrilled. Why?
Well, we all had our share of trouble starting our car on a freezing winter morning at least once in our lives, am I right?
There is good news, though! A car battery charger is an easy fix to such problems, so we can all learn to love and enjoy winter again!
Battery chargers are more than helpful when you forget to turn off your lights, or you rarely use your car too. For this reason, I will help you find the best car battery charger that will save you when your car just won’t start. The goal is to find the most straightforward and most efficient battery charger that will make your life less stressful and a lot safer in emergencies.
Why Do You Need A Car Battery Charger?
Car battery chargers are useful gadgets that you can use to charge up your car battery when it is running low for whatever reason. They plug into your mains electricity socket, and all you need to do is attach them to the terminals of your car battery and let them do their magic.
You can use the battery charger to maintain a car battery that is not used for an extended period. It will give you peace of mind when you leave your car in storage during the winter season, or while you travel abroad.
All car battery chargers have the same function – to send electricity to the car’s battery, but they are not all the same. Namely, battery chargers can have three main features – but while some of them perform all three functions, the others are limited to one or two. It is, therefore, essential that you make sure that the charger you plan to buy can meet your needs and do all you need it to do!
See Also: The Best Engine Degreaser
So, What Are The Three Main Functions Of A Car Battery Charger?
1. Maintenance Charging
- If you plan to store your car for long, you need to make sure that the battery will receive a minimal amount of electricity to keep it healthy and ready to start your car whenever you decide it is time for that. This is called maintenance or ‘trickle’ charging.
2. Conventional Charging
- Just like any charger, the car battery charger can be used for conventional charging. That means that when your car battery is low or empty, you can simply connect it to the charger and revive it. It usually takes anywhere from six hours to a full day to charge your battery from empty to full, so it is best to do conventional charging at night.
3. Engine Start Function
- In case of emergency, when you need to jump-start your car, you will appreciate a car battery charger that has an engine start function. Such chargers need to be heavy-duty as this function requires quite a lot of power.
Smart technology has entered every aspect of our lives, and car battery chargers are no exception. As a result, we now have smart chargers that automatically detect the fastest charging mode for your utmost convenience.
Besides being used to charge an empty or low battery, they are excellent long term chargers as well. Namely, smart charges do not stop when your battery is full but switch to a trickle charge instead, thus eliminating any risk that your battery will overcharge or become damaged!
What To Consider When Picking A Car Battery Charger?
Once you decide what kind of charging you want your charger to perform, you are one step closer to finding the best car battery charger for your needs. Yet, you have a few more things to consider, and those are the following:
1. Engine Size
- The bigger your engine is, the bigger the battery it will have. Big batteries require powerful chargers, so make sure that you know how big your engine is before you go shopping. You will have no use of a charger if it is not suitable for the size of your car engine.
2. Battery type
- Make sure that your charger is compatible with the battery in your car. If you have Lead-acid batteries, you are good to go, as the majority of chargers will work with those. However, if your vehicle has the stop/start functions, the chances are that it features an AGM/EFB or a gel or calcium battery, and that might lead to some compatibility issues.
3. Charge Time
- The charge time mostly depends on the amp of the car battery charger as well as the amp of your vehicle. Of course, time is precious, especially in emergencies, and you should thus choose the fastest charger you can afford to buy.
4. Automatic Turn-off Function
- It would not be right to keep your battery connected to a charger once it is fully charged, as that could lead to severe damage. To eliminate any risk, you can buy a charger with an automatic turn-off function. These smart devices will switch to maintenance charging and switch themselves on only when the level of your car battery drops down to the degree to require a top-up.
Now that I have (hopefully) demystified the car battery chargers and provided you with the knowledge required to select the right one to use for your requirements, it’s time to get down to business and find the best car battery chargers out there!
5 Best Car Battery Chargers In 2021: Detailed Reviews
1. Clore Automotive Jump-N-Carry JNC660 1700 Car Battery Charger – Durable & Replaceable Batteries for Years of Good Use
The Clore JN660 battery charger is a reliable and long-lasting device that will guarantee multiple jumps starts on a single charge. It provides you with 1,700 Peak Amps and 425 Cranking Amps to jump-start your battery with extended cranking power.
Thanks to the 46″ long heavy-duty #2 AWG cables, you will be able to use this charger with almost any vehicle no matter its size and shape. You will also be able to follow the charge status of the onboard battery on the voltmeter.
The built-in automatic charger is also there to make sure that your car battery is always ready and fully charged. There is no risk of battery damage either, and thus you can leave the charger plugged in.
The industrial-strength Hot-Jaw clamps provide a secure grip and allow the device to connect and penetrate even through corroded metal. Clore Proformer battery technology makes sure you always get maximum power, but it is also made to last. DC outlet can be used to power 12-volt accessories too.
Measuring 16.3 x 14.1 x 5.1 inches and weighing 18 pounds, it is not the most compact or portable charger out there, but it is still manageable. The carrying handle makes it easy to move around as needed.
- Built-in Automatic Charger
- Durable and reliable Clore Proformer battery technology
- Replaceable batteries
- Extensive cranking power
- Fully automated recharging
- Secures multiple jump-starts at a single charge
- Work with corroded batteries as well
- Does not come with a cord to connect to a 110vAC wall outlet
- There is no light
2. Battery Tender Plus 021-0128 Car Battery Charger – Quick & Reliable Charging
The Battery Tender Plus 021-0128 is a compact car battery charger that provides you with 1.25-amps of power. It might not be the most powerful unit on the list, but thanks to unique technology, it delivers the same results as some far more powerful chargers and thus charges your battery just as fast.
When 021-0128 first came out, it was the first automated charger that instantly transferred into a maintenance charging mode once the battery is fully charged. Nowadays, such technology is common and popular, but back in those days, it was revolutionary.
This spark-proof battery charger can be used on all kinds of vehicles. You will receive a quick connect harness and six feet long 18AWG cord to get to all the hard to reach places. The package includes the AC power cord and the 4.5 feet long DC output cord as well as Battery Tender ring terminals and alligator clips.
For your safety, the unit features reverse polarity protection and red and green lights that flash alternately. Charging goes through four stages – after initialization, the charger switches to bulk-charge until it reaches 80%, and then it goes into the absorption phase.
In the end, the charger continues to maintain the battery fully charged in the so-called float-charge stage, which eliminates any risk of your car battery overheating or having temperature issues. Lights indicate which stage your charger is currently going through.
- Efficient at combating battery drainage
- Fully automatic
- Reverse polarity protection feature
- Comes with battery tender ring terminals and alligator clips
- Works with all lead-acid batteries, and flooded or sealed maintenance free ones
- Quick charging
- 10-year warranty
- Clamps are a bit small
3. GOOLOO SuperSafe Car Jump Starter – Ultra-Compact & Portable
The GOOLOO SuperSafe Car Jump Starter charger is one of the best battery chargers (otherwise it would not be on this list), but it is quite different than all the other reviewed units. So, what sets this car battery charger apart?
Its size! Namely, this is an ultra-portable charger that weighs only 1.12 pounds and measures a mere 6.2 x 3 x 1.4 inches – that is the size of an average smartphone battery pack. Speaking of smartphones, it is good to mention that you can use this charger to charge your phone or tablet super fast too.
Of course, GOOLOO SuperSafe charger is primarily designed to jump-start your car battery. It offers 18,000mAh and 800A of power, as well as an innovative technology that will charge your 12V car battery 75% faster than an average car battery charger (full charge in 5 hours). The alligator clips come in the package, but you also receive a built-in flashlight that functions as Strobe Light and SOS Light as well and is thus a necessity for night-time emergencies.
Being versatile and small enough to fit your glove compartment, this charger is a real life-saver when you desperately need to jump-start your car. Thanks to the integrated advanced safety technologies, including the over-charge protection, over-current protection, overload protection, over-voltage protection, and high-temperature protection, your car battery is safe from any damage as well.
- Quick & effective
- Compact and portable
- Working environment temperature: -20 °C – 45 °C（ -4 °F – 113 °F ）
- Built-in flashlight for night-time emergencies
- Compatible with almost all USB charging devices
- Multiple safety features
- UL-certified wall charger
- Charge indicators
- 30-days money-back guarantee
- The provided instructions are not clear
- Does not help when the battery is completely dead
4. BLACK+DECKER BM3B Car Battery Charger – Affordable And Compatible With Almost All Vehicles
Black+Decker is a company that does not require an introduction. It is one of the companies that is favored among customers and rightfully so. The BM3B battery charger is a shiny example of what made this brand so famous. It is a budget-friendly charger that can not only be used for a wide variety of vehicles that run on a six to12-volt battery system, but also for an array of gadgets you have at home. It works with AGM, GEL, and WET batteries.
Even at this price, this battery charger will not endanger your car battery by overcharging it. It features an integrated circuit that prevents such a scenario as well as eliminates any risk of short-circuiting and reverse polarity.
BM3B charger connects to your car battery in three ways – by the provided clips, O-rings terminals, or via the DC plug in your vehicle. I wish the cords were longer, though, as they are quite limiting.
It delivers 0-1.5 Amps of power, weighs 1.3 pounds, and measures 5 x 3 x 9.8 inches and is this highly portable as well. Moreover, BM3B is ETL certified and comes with a one year warranty for your peace of mind.
- Great value
- Clever design
- Fully automatic
- High usability & compatibility
- Works with both 6 and 12-volt car batteries
- Built-in circuit protection
- Tests the battery life and alerts you when a problem occurs
- Connects in three ways (clips, O-rings terminals, DC plug)
- Mounting brackets for easy storage
- ETL certified
- One year manufacturer’s warranty
- Cords should be longer
5. Schumacher SC1281 Fully Automatic Battery Charger – Bulky, But Worth It!
The Schumacher SC1281 Fully Automatic car battery charger bears an iconic name, but does it justify the honor? I say yay. It is a genuinely innovative, feature-packed charger that will satisfy even the demanding professional users.
Let me warn you, though; it is quite a large unit that weighs 12.65 pounds and measures 11 x 10 x 8 inches. The good news is that it comes with a practical handle, which makes it easier to move around or carry. It will fit your car trunk for sure, so its size should not be a deal-breaker, especially considering all this charger has to offer
SC1281 offers two amp settings – 30A when you need a minor energy boost, and 100A when you require maximum power to jump-start your car engine in a matter of seconds. It is compatible with most vehicles, fully automatic, and super-easy to operate – all you need to do is push the start button.
Multi-stage charging makes sure that your car battery does not get damaged during charging. It utilizes multi-stage charging to ensure that your car battery is charged safely, even if you accidentally reverse the clamps. LED indicators are there to show you what stage your charger is currently in, and when you can safely stop it.
And now the cherry on the cake – this battery charger doubles as an advanced diagnostic testing machine too. You can use it to identify any electrical faults by testing the car battery and alternator. Thanks to this feature, you can prevent significant break-downs and avoid costly repairs!
- Reasonably priced
- Easy to use
- Powerful enough to manage large batteries
- Doubles as a battery and alternator tester
- Features multi-stage charging and auto-voltage detection
- UL Safety Certified
- Reverse hook-up protection ensures
- Compatible with standard, AGM, gel and deep-cycle batteries
- LED indicators
- Bulky and heavy
A car battery charger is a necessity, especially during the winter season. You should best be prepared for any scenario, and now that you know how to choose the best car battery charger, you have no excuse not to buy one right away.
All the listed chargers will do you proud, but my best recommendation is the Clore Automotive Jump-N-Carry JNC660 1700 Car Battery Charger as I prefer investing in things that are sure to last for years to come.
If you are working with a limited budget, you can go for the ever so popular BLACK+DECKER BM3B Car Battery Charger; it is highly versatile and reliable regardless of the low price.
Finally, those of you who want a diagnostic tool and do not mind sacrificing portability for that advantage should opt for the Schumacher SC1281 Fully Automatic Battery Charger.