Top 5 Best Book Lights 2020:
- Vekkia Rechargeable LED Book-Light Easy Clip-on
- Energizer Clip-on Book Light For Reading In Bed
- Ecologic Mart Eye Care LED Reading Light
- CeSunlight Rechargeable LED Book Light Hands-Free
- Vont LED Clip On Reading Light
Are you a night owl and a book lover combined in one?
Can you imagine going to bed before reading a few pages of your current favorite book?
If the answer is yes, then we are sure you know how hard it can be to read a book in bed while your partner is trying to sleep next to you. Using the main light or a table lamp is a big no. So what else can you do?
You no longer need to feel like you will be exiled from the warmth of your bed just because you want to do a quick read before you fall asleep. We have a solution for you. It is called a book light, and it will change your life for the better.
If you are interested in acquiring the best book light that is available to you, we advise you to go through the following lines and learn all about them.
See Also: The Best Anger Management Books
5 Best Book Lights In 2020: Detailed Reviews
1. Vekkia Rechargeable LED Book-Light Easy Clip-on – Great For Travelers
If you are a passionate reader and you need a reliable companion on your trips, you will find all you need in this clip-on book light.
This product is designed from sturdy and durable plastic with a long, infinitely flexible neck that will allow you to position and focus the light just the way you want. As we mentioned, this is a clip-on type of book light. The clip is padded and will work perfectly on laptop and hardcover books, but unfortunately, it will be too heavy for paperback books and magazines.
The Vekkia book light is equipped with six LED beads that cast a warm, diffused yellowish light that will be easier on your eyes than some models that have white-toned light. It will also let you adjust the brightness to three different settings. All you need to do is press the soft button on top of the lamp one, two, or three times and adjust it to fit your environment.
The 1000 mAh lithium-ion battery is rechargeable and can withstand up to 60 hours of use if used on the lowest brightness setting. You can recharge this device any way you want it since it comes with a USB port. The USB cable is included.
This model is not bulky; it is portable and lightweight, so you can easily carry it around in your bag.
- Versatile and lightweight
- Six LED beads
- Three different brightness settings
- Charging with a USB cable
- Not suitable for use with paperback books and magazines
2. CeSunlight Rechargeable LED Book Light Hands-Free – Love It Or Hate It Kind Of Design
Owning a book light that can be worn around your neck can be very convenient. They can be used in various ways. If you prefer running, drawing, or reading in the dark, this little gadget will become an unavoidable part of your day.
The U-shaped design and snake-like body will allow you to twist and turn the light to meet your needs the best. You don’t need to worry about them being fragile; the flexible arms are made from alloy steel and are coated with a soft silicone guaranteeing you a long term use. This model is so lightweight that you won’t even feel it while wearing it.
You will find two different types of LED lights on this model – a wide-angle light and a focused spotlight. There are a total of four lights at each end that will provide you with an adjustable level of brightness thanks to the possibility of changing between four different settings.
The book light is equipped with a 700 mAh lithium battery that is rechargeable. It will only take 3 hours to recharge the battery fully.
Manufacturers claim that you can use this device 6-8 hours on high brightness setting and 10 hours when set on average brightness level, but unfortunately, this is not true. With regular use, the battery will start degrading quickly.
- Versatile and lightweight
- U-shaped design
- Two different types of lights
- Four lights in total on each end
- Four different brightness level
- Poor battery life
3. Vont LED Clip On Reading Light – Mighty Bright
This book light is very versatile, thanks to its brightness. It can be used for reading as well as for some detailed work such as sewing or DIY crafting.
The Vont lamp features a modern and sleek spiral design. A combination of ABS thermoplastic and silicone is used for making this sturdy yet flexible book light. Long 360° flexible neck allows you to position light anywhere you want it.
The clamp is quite large and can be used on hardcover books, the edge of the table or bed, laptop, but it won’t work on a small paperback book. In that case, the clamp can be used as a base so your device can stand on its own and be used as a desk light.
This is one of the brightest book lights on the market today. It has twelve LED beads that will provide flicker-free light. You can adjust brightness in three different settings according to your requirements. What we consider as a minor flaw is a cold white-toned light that can be heavy on your eyes.
The 1000 mAh lithium-ion battery is rechargeable, and if used on the brightest setting, it won’t last more than 8 hours. It uses a regular USB cable so it can be charged using your phone charger, power bank, laptop, and more.
- Modern design
- Twelve LED beads
- Three different brightness settings
- Too heavy for paperback books and magazines
- Poor battery life
- Light is too cold and not so comfortable for eyes
4. Energizer Clip-on Book Light For Reading In Bed – Overall Affordability
We do believe that price will raise doubts in your mind about the quality of this product, but we are here to prove you wrong.
The Energizer book light is lightweight and features a compact and simple design. It is made from flexible, sturdy plastic.
The neck is very convenient since its collapsible, so you can adjust the lamp with ease as you wish. The built-in spring-loaded clip is large and can be attached to any surface that is half an inch thick. This includes both hardcover and paperback books, bed, laptop, visors, and more.
This device features advanced LED technology. This type of light provides 11 lumens of warm glow that will be very gentle on your eyes. Don’t worry, the beam of light will be wide enough to cover your book page, but not wide enough to awake your bed partner.
As you could have guessed, this book light can only be powered by two lithium-ion and coin-like Energizer CR2032 batteries that can’t be recharged. This type of battery will provide approximately 25 hours of light, which is enough when you want to read your book on the go.
Also, you can’t change the level of brightness, so before purchasing, try this lamp to find out if this book light is too bright for you.
- Lightweight and portable
- Sturdy and flexible
- Offers 11 lumens of warm LED light
- Built-in clip
- Affordable price
- Batteries need to be replaced
- Brightness can’t be adjusted
5. Ecologic Mart Eye Care LED Reading Light – Pleasant To The Eye
As you can see by the first glance, this is the only reading light on this list that features two branches design.
It is made from sturdy plastic, and it is lightweight. The necks are flexible, so you can twist and turn them to fit your current needs. Although, they could have been longer to provide you with wider light placement.
The clip is padded with rubber to prevent damaging the book covers. You can easily attach this book light on the edge of the bed, laptop, and hardcover books. Paperback books yet again can’t withstand the weight of this lamp. We still didn’t figure out why, but the clip is prone to breaking.
This model has two branches with two light heads. They can be used simultaneously or independently. Each light head has five LED beads that can be adjusted in three different brightness settings. The light is surprisingly eye-friendly and warm for LED type of light.
The 1200 mAh lithium-ion batteries are rechargeable by extra long USB cable, and they will need approximately two hours to be fully recharged. With this much power, you can use this device on a low brightness level for up to 130 hours!
There is one more feature we must mention – a low battery alarm. Yep, you read it well. When the battery drops to 25%, the alarm will inform you.
- Two LED light heads
- Ten LED beads
- Three brightness levels
- Large battery life
- The clip is prone to breaking
- Necks are short
Why You Need A Book Light And How To Select The Right One?
If your favorite pastime is reading a book, then we are sure you know how thrilling and magical it is to read at night. Most of us need peace and quiet to enjoy a good read. Unfortunately, bedtime is the only period of the day when we can spare time for it.
Reading will significantly improve your mental well-being; therefore, that is an activity that we must neuter in this digital age. You may remember that as a kid, you would hide under the covers and read your favorite comic book using the flashlight, but that isn’t an option anymore.
So to learn how to pick a good book light, we enlisted a few important features that you must take into consideration before making a final decision.
1. Light And Brightness
- These types of lights are mainly made for reading in the dark; hence there is no surprise that light and brightness are the most important features you should look for.
- The perfect model will have enough light to prevent eye strain, yet not so bright to damage the eye. You may consider looking for the ones that have multiple brightness levels; that way, you can adjust the brightness according to your preferences.
- Most book lights nowadays use LED technology as it is the most energy-efficient, but we recommend you to always go for the ones that are equipped with light bulbs in warmer color like yellow and spare yours and eyes of the people that surround you.
2. Power Source
- Why compromising on recharging if you don’t have to?
- Some models of book lights are equipped with rechargeable batteries; some require using removable AAA batteries. Consider how long the device will be in use and depending on that, choose the model that will meet your needs the best. Also, remember that the models that have adjustable brightness levels minimize the battery life drastically.
- You can never know when you will go traveling or camping, or you just want to be able to read on-the-go whenever you feel like it. That’s when portable reading lights come in handy. Make sure they are light, durable, and easy for storing in bags.
4. Style And Features
- Look for those models that are clip-on, sturdy but not too bulky, lightweight so the book can handle it, with a flexible neck, and rechargeable batteries. Also, very convenient models are those that can be wrapped around your neck.
- From additional features, the shut-off timer can come in handy if you tend to fall asleep while reading. This way, you will reduce battery consumption and prevent the risk of awakening your bedmate or fellow traveler.
Read More: The Best Neil Gaiman Books
The Bottom Line
Book lights are essential if you are an avid reader that can’t skip a good read before going to bed. They will allow you to read without risk of making your partner or travel companion uncomfortable. If you ever tried a book light before, give us feedback. If not, give any of the above mentioned models a try – you’ll love it.
Best Overall Value: Vekkia Rechargeable LED Book-Light Easy Clip-on
- This warm LED book light is just what you need for reading in bed, plane, train, or studying without disturbing anyone around you. The convenient clip will allow you to attach it just about anywhere. Therefore, because of the dependability and light illumination, this device wins our hearts and title of the best overall book light.
Best Budget Option: Energizer Clip-on Book Light For Reading In Bed
- This device offers you all you need from a book light – warm light, compact versatility, affordable price, and contemporary portability. Can you believe that this light is small enough to fit in your pockets? If you are on a quest to find a great gift for your friends or family, this little fellow might be just what you need.
Premium Pick: Ecologic Mart Eye Care LED Reading Light
- We love book lights with warm yellow light. And what can be better than that? A double branched book light with warm yellow light. It’s a perfect pick for those who want to customize their night reading experience since you can use both or just one branch at the time.