Top 5 Best 12-Inch Subwoofers 2020:
- Skar Audio EVL-12 D4 12″ 2500 Watt Max Power Dual 4 Ohm
- Planet Audio AC12D Car Subwoofer – 1800 Watts Maximum Power, 12 Inch, Dual 4 Ohm Voice Coil
- Rockford Fosgate P300-12 Punch 300 Watt Powered Loaded 12-Inch Subwoofer
- Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12 Punch P3 DVC 4-Ohm 12-Inch 600-Watt RMS 1200-Watt Peak Subwoofer
- MTX Audio Terminator Series TNE212D 1,200-Watt Dual 12-Inch Subwoofer Enclosure
Is there a point of playing loud music in your car when you can’t feel that deep, trembling, and low bass all through your body?
If the answer is no, you need to purchase a high-quality set of subwoofers that will provide you with this amazing sensation. But the tricky part is to find the subwoofer that will suit your needs the best. When buying a subwoofer, most people go with that rule; the bigger, the better, and that is a good point, but considering you need a sub for a car, you are a bit limited with size.
So today, we are presenting to you our list of best 12-inch subwoofers that will, for sure, fit your car and your needs.
5 Best 12-Inch Subwoofers In 2020: Detailed Reviews
We’ve taken some time to do thorough research and bring together a list that will allow you to choose the model you desire hassle-free. We are proudly presenting our list of top five best 12-inch subwoofers you can purchase at any moment now.
1. Rockford Fosgate P3D4-12 Punch P3 DVC 4-Ohm 12-Inch 600-Watt RMS 1200-Watt Peak Subwoofer – Bigger Cone Means More Bass
Rockford Fosgate is one of the best subwoofer brands on the market nowadays. This brand will offer a high-quality product for a very reasonable price. Rockford Fosgate subwoofers come in three categories – Prime, Punch, and Power.
The Punch P3D4 12 is one of the best subwoofers from this series. It features a strong anodized aluminum cone that will, for sure, hold its shape through heavy play and provide deeper, louder bass. The cone also features a Rockford Fosgate Vertical Attach Surround Technique that increases the cone area form almost 25% by attaching the oversized rubber surround to the cone.
The cone is also equipped with special venting that keeps heat away from the sub’s internal component. This guarantees an incredibly consistent bass performance over time. The speaker is also equipped with an extended pole piece and bumped backplate to promote heavy excursion so the speaker can hit deeper low frequencies without dragging the sound.
This model is designed to work equally well in a sealed or ported enclosure, that depends on your taste. Its dual 4-ohm voice coils configuration provides multiple wiring options that keep your sub safe from high current damages.
The sensitivity rating is low 85 dB, and it can handle up to 1200 watts of power on a continuous basis. It can hit as low as 28Hz and as far up as 250Hz, which is quite loud.
- Self-cooling system
- Cone is made from anodized aluminum
- Can withstand up to 1200 watts
- Provides deep bass
- Low sensitivity
2. Planet Audio AC12D Car Subwoofer – 1800 Watts Maximum Power, 12 Inch, Dual 4 Ohm Voice Coil – Mighty Bass Beast
If you are in search for the best cheap subwoofer out there then Planet Audio AC12D is the one that can fit all your requirements for sure.
It features a polypropylene cone that is very rigid yet lightweight, which increases the quality of bass. This model also features foam surrounding that protects the speaker from damage caused by vibrations. That foam surrounding as well provides enough flexibility for the cone to move around while still staying centered.
A die-cast frame has good corrosion resistance and can absorb and dissipate heat to maintain great performance at high temperatures. Also, a customizable trim ring makes the speaker a perfect fit, no matter if you install it in sealed or ported enclosures.
Its dual voice coils can handle high temperatures with ease and reduce electrical resistance, which increases the amplifier’s efficiency, meaning you can hook up two of these subwoofers to one amplifier, and the sub will still perform at its optimum level.
The sensitivity rating is low 88 dB, and it features a low resonating frequency of 35 hertz, and that also translates to low bass. The manufacturer claims that the subwoofer can handle a power rating of 1,800 watts, but we would not recommend you to push it to that limit since the sub may blow out under that amount of pressure.
- Polypropylene cone that is rigid and lightweight
- Clean sound and good frequency range
- Low sensitivity
- Coils may blow out if used in the high power setting
3. MTX Audio Terminator Series TNE212D 1,200-Watt Dual 12-Inch Subwoofer Enclosure – Add Some Extra Bass Without Breaking The Bank
If one single 12″ inch subwoofer is not enough for you, and you want to add some pounding bass, there is almost no better option than MTX Audio Terminator TNE212D dual bass system.
This dual 12″ subwoofer enclosure is the ideal solution if you want to add some bass without spending too much and going over the top. It features two hard-hitting 12-Inch Terminator subwoofers in a 5/8 inch medium-density fiberboard. Each subwoofer features a rigid, durable polypropylene cone. It is sealed in a wooden enclosure to control the quality and pitch of the sound as well as to protect the woofers from any damage.
These subs feature the Spider Plateau Venting technique, a mechanical cooling process that will dissipate heat generated during extended play, and maintain internal components of the subwoofer well-ventilated for optimal bass performance in the long run.
The frequency range is from low 10Hz up to great 150Hz, and the sensitivity rating is 86 dB. Also, each woofer possesses an RMS power of 200 watts, and the peak power is 1,200 watts.
This model has a built-in amplifier that will increase the depth of sound. Speaking of bass performance, the MTX Audio Terminator TNE212D hits moderately hard and sounds great, but it is still an entry-level model. Also, it is a bit bulky, so you may need professional help when installing it.
- Set of two subs in an enclosure
- Great frequency range
- Spider Plateau Venting technique
- Clean sound
- Low sensitivity
- Bulky and hard to install on your own
- Entry-level model
4. Rockford Fosgate P300-12 Punch 300 Watt Powered Loaded 12-Inch Subwoofer – Best Powered Sub On The Market
One more amazing product is coming from the Rockford Fosgate Punch series. This one was purposely designed to be a perfect match of enclosure, sub, and amp that will allow you to avoid all the complex mathematics. It features a 12″ hard-hitting woofer paired with a built-in 300-watt amplifier all neatly packed in a custom fit enclosure made of 5/8 inch medium-density fiberboard.
The subwoofer system features both High- and low-level inputs with intelligent auto turn on/off function that allows you to connect it to any system available. It also comes with a wide variety of controls that you can use to tweak the sound to your taste; this includes the bass boost, the low-pass crossover, and phase switch. Furthermore, it also comes with a remote control so you can adjust your bass from anywhere.
As already said, the enclosure is constructed with 5/8 inch MDF, which is the preferred material since it offers great acoustic properties. It’s covered with industrial heat-activated vinyl that is very resistant to tearing and wearing.
It accommodates 300 watts of RMS power and is powered by a 300-watt built-in amplifier, which means you can use it straight out of the box, or you can customize it to sync up with other amplifiers. It possesses a variable 12 dB low pass crossover that will allow you to adjust it to meet the bass specifications of your choice.
- MDF enclosure
- Easy to install
- Features a wide variety of controls such as auto turn on/off
- Clean sound and deep bass
- Industrial heat-activated vinyl cover
5. Skar Audio EVL-12 D4 12″ 2500 Watt Max Power Dual 4 Ohm – High-End Value For The Mid-End Price
No matter if you’re into sound quality (SQ) or loudness (SPL), Skar Audio has got you covered with this great model that comes for an even greater price if you ask us.
The EVL-12 D4 is one of the hardest-hitting 12-inch subs that this brand has to offer. It incorporates a high flux double stack ferrite motor. That motor combined with the 3-inch, high temperature, 4-layer, black aluminum CCAW voice coil will allow extreme power handling in the long run. The sub features a competition-grade paper cone bonded to a high-roll foam surrounding. This allows the sub to produce a riveting low-end bass response.
Since it can handle extreme power settings to keep the subwoofer well-ventilated and to operate efficiently, manufacturers incorporated some advanced airflow cooling system that dissipates heat away from its internal motor structure.
This sub delivers clean sound, and it picks up low frequencies very well from low 25Hz up to amazing 2650Hz. Unfortunately, the sensitivity rating is 85 dB.
We mentioned extreme power handling, but we still did not tell you that it can handle up to 1250 watts of power on a continuous basis. The power peak is an amazing 2500 watts, but of course, it is not recommended to use it on such a high setting for too long since the voice coils tend to blow out.
- Enhances cooling system
- High flux double stack ferrite motor
- Black aluminum CCAW voice coil
- The sub can handle 1250 watts of power
- Great frequency range
- Low sensitivity
- Voice coil tend to blow out if used on high power setting for too long
What To Look For When Buying The Best 12-Inch Subwoofer?
When buying the best subwoofer, you need to straighten something’s first. A good subwoofer is good as his main parts are so you must pay attention to some key specs when purchasing the one you liked the most.
- It’s all about power – in the world of subwoofers – the more you get, the better. There are two specs that will determine just how much power your future unit will be able to use, and those are RMS power and peak power. RMS power indicates regular power coping capability on a continuous basis. The peak power is the maximum amount of power that your speaker can handle at any moment. But remember putting your sub through all this power on a continuous basis will get it fried for sure.
- The second most essential spec is sensitivity. Sensitivity is simply said a sub’s ability to convert power into output. We would recommend you purchase a model with a higher sensitivity since it requires much lower power to produce the same output as a model with a lower sensitivity. Speaker sensibility is described in decibels (dB).
- The frequency will tell you how wide is the range of sounds that your speaker will be able to reproduce. You should look for the model that allows you to play the lowest possible frequencies you can imagine without a struggle. Make sure they can handle low frequencies between 20 and 30 Hz.
4. Type Of Enclosure
- The enclosures have a great impact on the output quality. What you should know is that enclosures can be divided into two groups – sealed and ported enclosures.
- Sealed enclosures are a tight package that produces the deepest and the most precise sound reproduction. On the other hand, ported enclosures, also known as bandpass enclosures are able to produce a much louder sound.
5. Number Of Voice Coils
- The number of voice coils does not affect the output quality as much, but it affects usability and versatility. The dual-coil speakers can be used in series and parallel setups, allowing you more freedom when putting your sound system together. On the other hand, single-coil subs don’t offer nearly as many configuration options.
- The bigger your subwoofer is, the better and stronger bass you will get. Although we already said that output quality depends on the variety of things, you can’t undermine the fact that with more room, then things can only get better.
- Today we talked about investing into a 12-inch woofer, and we can only say that this size stands at the very top of the subwoofer food chain, since only the 15-inch woofers standing above them.
- Impedance is the spec that describes the level of resistance the subwoofer will provide, and it affects the speaker’s compatibility—many subwoofers, currently available on the market, feature the impedance of 4 Ohms. But 2-Ohm and 8-Ohm varieties are not unusual as well. It would be best if you can find a unit that will allow you to switch between different impedance settings.
- The Best Powered Speakers
- The Best Speakers For Vinyl
- The Best Bass Speakers
- The Best Speakers For Turntable
- The Best 4×6 Speakers
After all, we just said we still have a very hard time to pass the title of the best 12-inch subwoofer. That is why we decided to pronounce a winner in three different categories. This way, we make our own decision easier as well, giving you a chance to pick out the best possible model for your current financial situation.
Best Overall Value: Skar Audio EVL-12 D4 12″ 2500 Watt Max Power Dual 4 Ohm
- Yes, this sub is among the most powerful we have come across during our research. Just imagine what you can do with an RMS of 1250 watts? But hey, the peak power is 2500 watts! And there is no need to be scared of overheating since this little beast comes with an enhanced cooling system that will keep your precious new sub safe and sound.
- The AC12D sports a polypropylene cone and foam surround, so the least you can expect from this combo is improved quality of the sound. With an RMS of 900w, the AC12D rules the bass effortlessly so you can be sure you will love bragging with your new and improved car sound system.
- You just can’t go wrong if you choose Rockford Fosgate P300-12 Punch. Yes, we are aware that it might cost a bit more, but it offers such a great value for the price that it would be a shame to miss out on this great product. So if you are looking for huge and high-quality sound, this one is perfect for you.