Top 5 Best 4X6 Speakers 2021:
- Pioneer TS A4676R
- JBL GTO6429
- Rockford Fosgate P1462 Punch
- Pyle 4” x 6” Three Way Sound Speaker System
- Polk Audio DB462 DB+ Series
You have to admit, there’s nothing better and more exciting than listening to music in your car. Unfortunately, if you don’t own a $30.000 vehicle, you can’t expect much from the speakers.
Thankfully, there is an easy fix for that, buying a set of 4×6 speakers. Even though some people might not be amazed by their bass output, these speakers still have a decent audio output and are quite compact.
Not just that, but these speakers are also quite affordable. In fact, 4×6 speakers are the most affordable type of sound upgrade for your car.
What’s more, some 4×6 speakers are quite simple to install. They’re so simple to install that you won’t even have to take your car to the shop. You can install them yourself with nothing but a screwdriver.
Finding a decent 4×6 speaker isn’t that hard, just fire up your web browser and start googling. However, finding the best 4×6 speakers requires a bit more legwork. And since we know how busy you are, we’ve decided to do the research for you!
In this article, we’ll review the five best 4×6 speakers you can find on the current market, and we’ll teach you how to pick the best model for your needs.
5 Best 4×6 Speakers In 2021: Detailed Reviews
Before getting into detail about things you should consider when buying a 4×6 speaker, we recommend you take a look at our top list. We made sure to include models from all price ranges, so there’s something for everyone’s budget.
1. Pioneer TS A4676R – Editor’s Choice
Looking for a superb 4×6 speaker that won’t burn a hole through your wallet? Well then, do we have a treat for you. The TS A4676R 6×5 speaker from Pioneer offers superb sound quality and output while remaining extremely affordable.
The first thing we noticed about these speakers is how sleek and clean they look. We love how the twin 11-mm tweeters and a 1-5/8-inch midrange cone stand out from the bass membrane. It all looks very professional and high-grade.
When it comes to the performance, these 4×6 speakers can pump out up to 210 watts of sound power. Power means nothing if there’s no control, this is why these speakers have crisp mids, clear highs, and very punchy bass. Of course, the bass doesn’t come close to a subwoofer. Still, it’s quite punchy and gives lots of color to the soundscape.
Another thing we liked about these speakers is how lightweight and compact they are. They’re small enough to fit most cars without any issues. What’s more, they’re pretty simple to install. All you’ll have to do is wire it up and screw it in. The whole process should take less than 15 minutes.
- Lightweight and compact
- Easy to install
- Excellent sound quality
- None whatsoever
2. JBL GTO6429 – Runner Up
If you’re looking to upgrade your car audio for cheap, then you’ll be interested in our second pick. The JBL GTO6429 4×6 speakers offer premium sound quality at a reasonable price.
Before we get into performance, let’s talk about installation. These speakers will easily fit-in in most cars. They come with a plethora of pre-drilled holes to ensure it won’t take more than 15 minutes to install them.
When it comes to performance, these speakers really deliver. They’re rated at 220W peak power with an RMS of 80W. While they’re not the most powerful 4×6 speakers in the world, they provide incredibly crisp and clear sound. The mids and highs are crips while the bass is surprisingly punchy.
We were surprised at how punchy the bass on these speakers is. This is all thanks to the Plus One oversized polypropylene cone and trademark JBL build quality.
The tweeters are just as impressive. Featuring oversized voice coils for more efficient heat dissipation, they’re able to produce incredibly clear sound with almost no distortions.
Unfortunately, if you don’t own an aftermarket amp, these 4×6 speakers will sound a bit distorted when the volume is all the way up. Thankfully, the distortion is minimal.
- Easy to install
- Excellent sound quality
- They sound distorted when the volume is too high
3. Rockford Fosgate P1462 Punch – Best High-End 4×6 Speakers
Looking for premium sound? Don’t care how much it’ll cost? Then we have a perfect set of speakers for you. Rockford Fosgate P1462 Punch speakers provide fantastic sound and are incredibly easy to install to boot.
These speakers are rated at 70W peak and 35W RMS. While this might not make them the loudest speakers out there, they make up for it with the superb build quality and crisp sound output.
These speakers feature rugged mineral-filled polypropylene cones with a rubber surround that ensures crisp and clear audio output. What’s more, this combination of material makes these speakers incredibly durable.
The tweeter is just as impressive as the cone. It features a built-in crossover that gives these 4×6 speakers a much cleaner, more attractive look.
Another cool thing about Rockford Fosgate speakers is that they feature something called Flex Fit Basket. This is a proprietary system that utilizes slots instead of single-sized screw holes. This system makes installing them as easy as pie since it allows you easily align them with OEM mounting holes in your vehicle.
Unfortunately, we have one complaint about these speakers, they lack bass. While the mids and highs are quite crisp, you lose a lot of richness when there’s no bass. This is why we recommend you get a set of under-seat subwoofers to correct this issue. See Also: The Best 8 Inch Subwoofers & The Best 10 Inch Subwoofers
- Superb sound quality
- Easy to install
- Very durable
- The lows aren’t too great
- A bit pricey
4. Pyle 4” x 6” Three Way Sound Speaker System – Best Budget Speakers
We know that not everyone out there has the money to upgrade their car audio. There are also lots of people out there who just want to replace their broken car speakers with something affordable until they save up money for a decent set of 4×6 speakers.
This is where Pyle 4” x 6” Three Way Sound Speaker System comes into play. While these might not be the loudest speakers out there, nor the most durable, they are quite affordable. What’s more, they offer a decent sound quality for the money.
These speakers feature an eye-catching, non-fatiguing butyl rubber surround with a 1-inch high-temperature voice coil. This ensures excellent durability and somewhat low distortion.
The tweeter really surprised us. It’s composed out of a 1-inch neodymium film done and a ¾-inch piezo tweeter and has decent lows and mids. Unfortunately, the bass is a bit lacking, but that’s a fair tradeoff when you consider their price.
While these speakers might not be suitable as a sound upgrade, they’re a decent replacement if your stock speakers gave up. You can expect some distortion at high volume. Still, it’s a fair tradeoff when you consider how affordable they are.
- Very affordable
- Easy to install
- Fairly durable
- Not the best sound quality
5. Polk Audio DB462 DB+ Series – Best Durable 4×6 Speakers
Are you looking for a set of 4×6 speakers that can withstand all types of harsh conditions? Do you own a boat that’s in desperate need of an audio upgrade? If you answered yes to either of those questions, then you might be interested in Polk Audio DB462 DB+ Series 4×6 speakers.
These speakers are made with durability in mind. They feature completely waterproof inner and outer surrounds, which makes them perfect for off-road vehicles and boats.
DB462 speakers are also incredibly easy to install. They come with a plethora of pre-drilled holes, so you’ll have an easy time installing them. You will have some trouble if you’re a Jeep owner because you’ll have to enlarge the holes on the edges, but that’s a three-minute job.
When it comes to sound quality, we have nothing but words of praise. The mids and lows are exceptional. This is good news for off road vehicle owners because these speakers fill out every inch of space.
Unfortunately, the same can’t be said for the bass. The bass is present, but it isn’t as punchy as our first pick.
One more word of caution. If you’re planning on getting adapters for these 4×6 speakers, we recommend you install them first and before installing anything else. This is because these speakers can be quite challenging to disarm.
- Fully waterproof
- Excellent sound quality
- Excellent build quality
- A bit difficult to install
Why Buy 4×6 Speakers?
Most people think that upgrading your car’s stock audio is a waste of money and just a way to show off to others. However, this can’t be further than the truth. If you love listening to music while on your way to work, you should consider upgrading the speakers in your car.
The main reason why people install 4×6 speakers into their vehicles is that they dictate the soundstage and give more bass to the car’s audio system. These speakers place the vocals and the instrumentals in their right place, thus enhancing your car’s audio.
Another reason why people buy aftermarket 4×6 speakers is that their old speakers got worn out, or they blew up due to faulty manufacturing. You’d be amazed at how quickly some stock car speakers blow up.
And if you just purchased a used car, you might consider switching out the old speakers with a set of brand new 4×6 speakers. You should switch them out not because they’re bad, but because you don’t know how the previous owner treated them. If he blasted music at all times, there is a good chance the stock speakers have torn membranes or are on the way of giving out.
Most people, especially those that are new to the world of car audio, go for 4×6 speakers because they’re incredibly easy to install. Why? The answer is simple, most 4×6 speakers already fit in the same spot as the old speakers. This means the installation process will take up less than half an hour. Just unscrew the old speaker, untie the electricals and do this process in reverse to install new ones.
And if you’re worried about not being able to power a set of new 4×6 speakers, you shouldn’t. Most of the models on the market work reasonably well with your car’s stock amplifier. Of course, there are going to be some distortions, but they’ll become noticeable only when the volume is turned all the way up.
- The Powered Speakers
- The Best Speakers For Vinyl
- The Best Bass Speakers
- The Best Speakers For Turntable
Factors You Should Consider When Buying A 4×6 Speaker
Now that you know what the benefits of 4×6 speakers are and why you should buy one, it’s time to learn how to pick the best model for your needs. After reading this guide, you’ll be well versed in the topic of car audio, and you’ll be able to find a perfect 4×6 speaker in no time!
1. Easy Installation
- Before you even start considering factors such as power output and sound quality, you have to consider how easy a particular speaker is.
- You can go for component speakers since they have the benefit of separating the different drivers, allowing them to handle sound frequencies better. However, component speakers are very difficult to install and will require a trip to the car shop.
- Alternatively, you can go for coaxial speakers. These speakers are easy to install and are also much cheaper than component speakers.
- The more powerful the speaker, the better. Right? Well, not quite. Although many speakers can output more than 200W of power, that’s pure overkill for a car.
- When looking for a 4×6 speaker, we recommend you go for a model with an RMS output between 50W and 100W. Of course, you can go for more powerful speakers. Still, you’ll have to install an aftermarket amp to avoid any distortions.
3. Frequency Range
- When it comes to 4×6 car speakers, in the best-case scenario, you can expect it to have a frequency response range between 20Hz and 20KHz. This is more than good enough for speakers of this size.
- There are some models out there that have a frequency response range of 60Hz to 20KHz. These speakers will have a bit higher bass, but not too different than a bass on speakers that can project 20hz bass.
- The one thing you should take away from this is that 60hz is where you draw the line. Any speaker that has a minimal frequency higher than 60Hz will have a really weak bass. In most cases, the base will also be cut off.
4. Sound Quality
- When it comes to sound quality, we recommend you look for a well-balanced model. This means it has decent highs, mid, and lows. A balanced speaker is the best kind of speaker since it can play most types of music at any volume without any distractions.
- If you want to make your sound more colorful and full, you should also install a set of under-seat subwoofers. They’ll give more bass to the overall sound canvas, thus making the sound more colorful.
5. Size And Shape
- When looking for the best 4×6 speakers for your needs, you should refer to the size of your stock speakers. You should do this because not all aftermarket speakers can fit in your car perfectly, so you’ll have to make a couple of modifications. Thankfully, most oval-shaped models come with square plates that feature various drilling holes.
Our Final Word & Recommendations
Let’s put a nice bow tie on this article with a quick recap.
If you’re looking for the best 4×6 speakers out there, you might want to check out Pioneer TS A4676R speakers. These speakers offer excellent sound quality at a reasonable price and are quite easy to install.
Alternatively, you can go for the runner up, JBL GTO6429. These speakers offer a punchy bass, clear mids, and crisp highs. And on top of that, they’re incredibly easy to install.
For those with deeper pockets, we recommend checking out Rockford Fosgate P1462 Punch 4×6 speakers. Even though they don’t have the best bass in the world, the overall build quality and superb sound quality makes them worth picking up.