Top 5 Best Whitening Mouthwashes 2021:
- Hello Oral Care Activated Charcoal Mouthwash
- Colgate Optic Whitening Mouthwash
- Amazon Brand Solimo Whitening Mouthwash
- Dr. Brite Natural Whitening Mouthwash
- Bee Naturals Whitening Pre-Brush Oral Rinse
If you are aiming to impress the people you meet (aren’t we all?), you need to work on your smile. Research has shown that a beautiful smile makes people appear more attractive to others.
Do you want an impressive smile too?
A whitening mouthwash can help you get the smile you have been dreaming of. Just like a regular mouthwash, it will clean your mouth, kill the bacteria, and help keep your breath fresh – but it will whiten your teeth as well.
So if you want gleaming white teeth, you can proudly show off, whitening mouthwash is your ally. It can help you avoid expensive visits to your dentist’s office, especially if you use it regularly.
We will help you find the best whitening mouthwash for your needs. If you follow our advice, you will discover effective drugstore products that can stand neck to neck with almost any dental-grade whitening mouthwash or full-on whitening strips.
Are you ready?
Give us a smile if you are!
Related: The Best Toothpaste For Braces
5 Best Whitening Mouthwashes In 2021: Detailed Reviews
1. Amazon Brand Solimo Whitening Mouthwash – Battles bacteria & whitens the teeth
Amazon Brand Solim Whitening mouthwash is not only good at whitening your teeth, but it also does a great job of fighting bacteria. It is truly an all-around mouthwash with antibacterial and whitening effects as well as potential to reduce plaque build-up, primarily if you use it regularly and for a more extended period.
It contains hydrogen peroxide as its principal active whitening agent, but it also has citric acid and sodium citrate to aid the whitening process. Thanks to the citric acid, this mouthwash feels lighter on your tongue and provides a sense of freshness without burning your tongue.
There is no alcohol in this formula, so you need not worry about stinging or dry mouth. Still, due to the high concentration of hydrogen peroxide, this alcohol-free mouthwash is not suitable for sensitive teeth and gums.
You‚ll receive four bottles at a single, affordable price. You can expect this amount to last you for at least a couple of months or even a whole year, depending on how often you use it.
- All-encompassing product: whitens, protects, freshens your breath
- No burning sensation
- Significant antibacterial effects
- Can help reduce plaque build-up over time
- Alcohol-free formula
- Refreshing mint flavor
- Affordable price for four bottles in a package
- Not suitable for overly sensitive teeth due to high hydrogen peroxide concentration
2. Colgate Optic Whitening Mouthwash – Quickly visible whitening results
If you race against time and need to whiten your teeth ASAP, Colgate Optic Whitening mouthwash can help you reach your goal in time. It is a 3-in-1 product as it not only whitens, freshens and cleans your teeth, but also comes in the package of three 32 oz bottles.
Once again, the primary active whitening agent is Hydrogen Peroxide, but this formula contains Citric Acid and Phosphoric Acid as well. The combination of these three active components guarantees quick results. You will soon notice the plaque breaking down, and the stains starting to fade away. Antibacterial properties will deal with the hardened bacteria too.
First whitening results will be seen in as little as five days. Besides, Colgate Optic is one of the best drugstore anticavity mouthwashes you can buy. It is alcohol-free, so it will not give you the burning sensation, just a fresh, invigorating minty breath.
Unfortunately, just like the previous product, this whitening mouthwash can be harsh on sensitive teeth. If you use it too often or for too long, you risk wearing down your teeth enamel.
- Powerful whitening and cavity defense
- Beyond most other whitening mouthwashes in terms of speed.
- The strong, refreshing mint flavor
- Three bottles in a package
- A bit harsh on sensitive teeth
- Can wear down enamel if overused
3. Hello Oral Care Activated Charcoal Mouthwash – Suitable for sensitive teeth due to mild natural ingredients
Hello Oral Care Activated Charcoal Mouthwash is an excellent choice for people with sensitive teeth and gums or those of you who prefer a more natural approach to your oral hygiene. As the name suggests, this mouthwash features Activated Charcoal as its active whitening agent. Surprisingly, the effects are neck to neck with those of the other, more aggressive products on our list.
Of course, activated charcoal is not as expeditious as hydrogen, but given enough time, it will prove as efficient. Besides charcoal, this mouthwash contains natural mint, coconut oil, and xylitol.
Coconut oil primarily serves to soothe your mouth, but it aids the whitening process as well. Natural mint gives it a pleasant flavor and refreshes your breath, while xylitol battles bacteria in your mouth.
Being mild, alcohol, and fluoride-free, this whitening mouthwash is not only suitable for people with sensitive teeth, but you can also use it daily without any time limits. It is eco-friendly as well, so you’ll not be polluting the planet either.
- Natural, healthy ingredients
- Does just as good a job as the other products on the list
- Excellent antibacterial capabilities
- Will not damage your teeth over time
- Flavored with natural mint
- Three bottles for a price
- Not as powerful and expeditious as products with hydrogen peroxide
4. Dr. Brite Natural Whitening Mouthwash – Pricey but also the most soothing whitening mouthwash you will ever experience
Dr. Brite Natural Whitening Mouthwash is yet another natural mouthwash on our list. It is perfect for all of you with sensitive teeth, but due to Aloe Vera and Vitamin C, it can do wonders for infected gums too.
Even though the package contains three 8 fl oz bottles, it is still the most expensive on our list. It is quite pricey, generally speaking as well.
On the bright side, Dr. Brite mouthwash will whiten and clean your teeth and freshen your breath with the superb soothing effect. The main active whitening agent is activated charcoal, but coconut oil contributes to the whitening effect as well. Neither of the two will ever damage the teeth enamel, so you can safely use this mouthwash for as often and as long as you like.
As we have already mentioned, this mouthwash contains Vitamin C too. Its role is to improve your gum and tooth health. Aloe vera is mostly responsible for the soothing effect, but it also helps with sores.
There are no aggressive ingredients such as alcohol or hydrogen peroxide, and thus you’ll not experience burning or dry mouth. Light mint flavor secures fresh breath.
- Whitens and cleans without irritating sensitive teeth
- No sensitivity issues
- Superb soothing effect
- Vitamin C and Aloe Vera help treat infected gums
- Light mint flavor
- A bit pricey
5. Bee Naturals Whitening Pre-Brush Oral Rinse – Combines the best of both worlds for satisfying results
Bee Naturals Whitening Pre-Brush Oral Rinse is another top tier mouthwash with a hefty price tag. It combines hydrogen peroxide with natural ingredients to deliver the best of both worlds, leaving your teeth cleaner and whiter while refreshing your breath as well. Indeed, natural Spearmint Oil gives this mouthwash a unique flavor quite distinct from the artificial tastes that many other products have.
This oral rinse should be used prior to brushing your teeth at night, which is somewhat unusual. It is best suited for those of you who are searching for gentle mouthwash and do not mind waiting for the whitening effects a bit longer.
Bee Naturals mouthwash will not irritate your teeth and gums in any way, but it does not have much of an antibacterial effect. This does not mean that it will not kill germs at all as it does contain propolis known as a natural antibiotic. Still, hardened plaque might prove to be too much for it.
This natural oral rinse is alcohol-free and contains no artificial sweeteners, colors, or preservatives. It is cruelty-free as well. The 16 oz bottle is a bit expensive but will last you long.
- Gentle mouthwash
- Good for sensitive teeth
- Not likely to irritate your teeth or gums
- Fresh minty flavor
- Excellent whitening work
- The formula includes natural spearmint oil and propolis
- It is not very effective at tackling hardened plaque
How To Choose Best Teeth Whitening Mouthwash?
Numerous oral care products are advertised to whiten your teeth and guarantee a gleaming smile in a matter of weeks, if not days. It is not easy to determine who is telling the truth, and it is even harder to figure out which whitening mouthwash is actually the best. It is therefore highly beneficial to know precisely what you need before you go out shopping for one.
Your main concern should be the list of ingredients, so we will try to discuss it in most detail.
- Active whitening agents are the most important items on the ingredient list. Every teeth whitening product must contain at least one active whitening agent that serves to lift and eliminate the stains on your teeth.
- Most often, traditional teeth-whitening products contain either hydrogen peroxide or sodium hexametaphosphate. Be careful though, whitening products formulated with peroxide can aggravate overly sensitive teeth and gums and create a sense of discomfort or soreness. If hydrogen is not diluted correctly, it can cause more harm than good.
Please, do not feel tempted to make a DIY whitening mouthwash at your home. It might seem simple enough, but using straight hydrogen mouthwash is not just ineffective but hazardous as well.
- Ingredients such as pyrophosphate are often added to help strengthen the teeth enamel and aid in the prevention of discoloration, staining, and sensitivities. It can help you restore balance after using more aggressive whitening treatments in the past.
- Natural mouthwashes stay away from chemicals and rather lay their trust in ingredients such as activated charcoal or coconut oil. They aim to improve the overall oral health in the least aggressive way but still serve as a good base for tooth restoration. If you want to take the most natural approach to your oral hygiene, you can buy a mouthwash made from 100% edible or even vegan ingredients.
- Natural ingredients such as lemon oil or other citrus extracts feature acidic components that help dissolve plaque and remove stains from the surface of your teeth. They do not have any side effects and can thus be used for highly sensitive teeth too.
There are some blacklisted ingredients you want to avoid by all means.
- Alcohol is not welcome in your oral cleaning and whitening products since it dries your mouth too much. The lack of saliva, which serves to “wash down” the bacteria from the oral cavity and prevent infections and bad breath, jeopardizes your health. Therefore, when you are out and about shopping for a mouthwash, make sure you buy an “alcohol-free” version.
- You should also avoid Hydrated Silica. It is an effective active whitening agent, but it can compromise your oral health and sometimes even cause problems with your overall health. Namely, this crystallized compound can damage your enamel and thus open a passage to teeth decay and other health issues.
It is always best to consult your dentist before you start using any product for oral hygiene, especially if your teeth and gums are sensitive. A professional can recommend a product that has been tested and approved by fellow dentists.
How To Use Your Whitening Mouthwash?
The first rule is: Use the whitening mouthwash every single day!
If you do not use it regularly, you might as well not use it at all since you will not see any positive effects.
Secondly, it is highly important to combine the whitening mouthwash with other dental care products since your goal is not only having pearl-white teeth but good overall oral health. Using the mouthwash does not compensate for brushing and flossing.
If you are not sure how long you should keep up with the routine, you can ask your dentist for advice. He or she will explain all you need to know, and you will not do too much whitening – it is as simple as that.
A professional can also let you in on possible whitening mouthwash side effects. First of all, a mouthwash can irritate canker sores you have in your mouth. It will not help eradicate the sore but actually make it even worse and more painful.
Some claims have been made that the use of whitening mouthwash can be associated with oral cancer. It is hotly debated, but there is still no definitive answer that would confirm this notion.
For this reason, we gave some preference to natural whitening mouthwashes, just in case.
Our Final Thoughts On Best Whitening Mouthwashes
If you have carefully read our buying guide, you know that you face a fundamental question you need to answer before you can choose a whitening mouthwash for yourself or your loved ones. So, here it goes:
Do you want a natural product that will whiten your teeth over time, or you want a more aggressive whitening mouthwash for quick, visible effects?
If you voted for a natural approach, we highly recommend that you try the Hello Oral Care Activated Charcoal Mouthwash. This eco-friendly product will not only help whiten your teeth, but it also has excellent antibacterial properties to help improve your overall oral health.
You have an important event coming soon? You should then run along and buy the Colgate Optic Whitening Mouthwash. It will deliver visible results in a matter of days. If you use it wisely and do not overdo it, it will not damage your enamel.
All the other products on our Top 5 list will serve you right too. In more or less time, your teeth will be whiter and your smile brighter, so what are you waiting for? Choose one, and smile proudly!