Top 5 Best Toothpastes For Braces 2020:
- Rembrandt Intense Stain Whitening Toothpaste
- Supersmile Professional Teeth Whitening Toothpaste
- Colgate Sensitive Maximum Strength Whitening Toothpaste
- Marvis Whitening Mint Toothpaste
- Arm & Hammer Advance White Extreme Whitening Toothpaste
If you have decided to put on a brace, we salute you – you have just made the important first step toward impeccable oral health and one smile to die for.
But, we don’t want to lie to you – it is not going to be easy. Wearing a brace tends to be quite strenuous and will take some sweet, sweet time before you get used to the feeling. To make things even worse, keeping a foreign object in your mouth 24/7 requires zealous oral hygiene.
Well, we can’t solve the change that braces are not quite the most pleasant thing you can do to yourselves. What we can do is to present you with a couple of excellent tubes of toothpaste that will keep your teeth and oral area clean, strong, and healthy.
So, let us take at five popular products currently competing for the title of the best toothpaste for braces and see which one of them deserves to find a way in your home.
Here are the contestants.
See Also: The Best Whitening Mouthwash
5 Best Toothpastes For Braces In 2020: Detailed Reviews
1. Rembrandt Intense Stain Whitening Toothpaste – Best Toothpaste for Braces Overall
We have to admit one thing – we set ourselves to be disappointed with this two-pack bundle. Nothing here screams made for braces, and with the price so affordable, you usually expect underwhelming performance. The sterile and flavorless design of the package doesn’t help this story, either.
Well, we are also happy to report that all of our assumptions were dead wrong. This is one excellent toothbrush for braces if there ever was one.
First of all, the value proposition on display here is a real killer. Come on – two packages with a total volume of 7 ounces? It’s a joke.
But, this value proposition is only made possible by the fact that the content inside the package is rock-solid. The toothpaste formula is too mild to hurt your potentially hurt enamel, but still potent enough to wipe clean all the microbes and bacteria that may be plaguing your braces.
Also, you do get strong anti-cavity properties, and the mix of ingredients nourishes enamel, promotes restoration, and removes the stains along the way. What to say – nothing short of impressive.
But, this otherwise great package has a couple of shortcomings. For instance, we have found numerous users reporting that their bags were delivered only a couple of days before the expiration days. Also, the formula features sorbitol and saccharin – this is just awful.
- Affordable and efficient
- A great deal of value for money
- Great enamel protection
- Strong anti-cavity properties
- Uses artificial sweeteners
- Poor shelf life
2. Supersmile Professional Teeth Whitening Toothpaste – Best Premium Toothpaste for Braces
Unlike the previous product that looked pretty modest but pleasantly surprised us with performance, this one doesn’t even try to shy away from the fact that it’s going to blow us out of the water. It looks premium, works premium, and costs premium.
But let’s start from the beginning.
The thing we are most impressed with this unique formula is that the manufacturers managed to find the list of ingredients that easily eliminate most of the problems people with braces have to deal with on a daily basis while avoiding anything that can potentially irritate your teeth or gums.
So, if you are excited by the prospect of things like mint, rosewater, and green mint slowly killing off bacteria and gently dissolving the film on your teeth that picks up the stains, you will be glad to hear that this toothpaste comes in eight different equally as efficient varieties.
On the other hand, ingredients like sulfates, silica, allergens, and animal products are entirely absent.
And most important – this whole thing simply works like a charm.
Keeping that in mind, though, we have to point out that cleaning and whitening performance is not that above the competition to warrant such a hefty price tag. The appeal of the toothpaste obviously lives and dies on the non-harmful, organic list of ingredients.
- Wide variety of flavors
- Slow-burning gentle performance
- Does its job
- Generous package
- Green ingredients
- A bit too expensive
3. Colgate Sensitive Maximum Strength Whitening Toothpaste – Best Affordable Toothpaste for Braces
Colgate is a name that requires minimal introduction in the circles of… Well, virtually anyone. The very manufacturer has never been known for stellar performance or exciting formulas that shake up the world of oral hygiene.
But, the global fame Colgate can brag about hasn’t come from nothing, and all the kinds of toothpaste that came out of this tireless workhorse were nothing short of reliable. And that is probably the best way to describe this package – not terribly exciting but flawlessly reliable.
The thing that sets this formula apart from the rest of the Colgate lineup is the stronger focus on whitening as well as relieving discomfort from irritated enamel. A perfect match for people that have just started wearing braces.
The manufacturer even claims that continuous use (brushing at least twice a day) will help you strengthen your teeth and prevent future sensitivity.
The one and only real complaint about this product is that all these effects are pretty mild and take some sweet time to show up.
But, on the other hand they do eventually show up, so we can’t say we fell victims to falls marketing. Also, you get three packs (each worth 6 ounces) for the price that barely goes past $10 bucks. Keeping that in mind, we are more than willing to overlook sloppy performance.
- Killer value proposition
- Good for sensitive teeth
- Slow but reliable
- You get a lot of it
- Pretty mild effects
4. Marvis Whitening Mint Toothpaste – Best Green Toothpaste for Braces
Marvis is a brand that couldn’t be more different from Colgate. Unlike this USA behemoth with vast global reach, this small family-owned company from Florence, Italy certainly has that underdog vibe working to its advantage.
The vintage package that evokes memories of the early XX century doesn’t hurt this story, either.
But, don’t let this family-workshop image fool you – Marvis Whitening Mint Toothpaste is produced in state-of-the-art laboratories and from top-quality ingredients. And the performance shows. Although it’s made entirely out of non-harmful vegan-friendly substances, the compound will have no problem gradually removing plaque and stains from your teeth.
The cleaning and anti-cavity properties do not lag behind, either. But, keep in mind that the focus of this formula is to keep your smile beautiful and shiny. And that is perfectly ok.
Also, we would like to point out that the manufacturer was kind enough to offer you to choose between eight different flavors while keeping the final product wholly cruelty-free and eco-friendly.
Of course, these perks once again come at a price, and we can’t escape the feeling that most of the money you invest in this toothpaste goes to calming down your consciousness. The performance, although stable, is very focused and doesn’t excel in any regard.
Still, a very appealing and enjoyable product.
- Beautiful package
- Vegan, cruelty-free and eco-friendly
- Eight different flavors
- Good whitening performance
- A lot of care put into product
- Performance is far from spectacular
- A bit pricey
5. Arm & Hammer Advance White Extreme Whitening Toothpaste – Best Toothpaste for Teeth Whitening
And finally, we have Arm & Hammer – another brand with a strong reputation within the personal hygiene industry. With colossal budget and global mass-appeal, the manufacturer like this can afford to offer more than competent bundles coming decorated with an incredibly appealing price tag.
This is one of these bundles that offer as much as six packages of toothpaste poised to turn your teeth white again. And turn your teeth white this paste does.
As a matter of fact, the entire formula is based on this simple task. Sure, we have noticed slight stress relief and were overall pleased with the oral hygiene we managed to accomplish (our associates wearing braces had a similar experience). Still, whitening has to be this product’s strongest attribute.
The best thing in this whole story is that the performance is very gentle, thorough, and gradual, so your teeth will look consistently white even when you remove the braces.
Oh, one more thing – the inclusion of mint in this formula performs a lot of heavy lifting to make your breath pleasant and fresh, and for the most part, it succeeds.
Our chief complaint is that the product is somewhat lacking in other areas. Also, the texture of the formula appears a bit gooey, so you will experience your past falling off the brush fairly often.
- Great deal
- Efficient whitening performance
- Pleasant breath
- Solid overall performance
- One-trick pony
- Gooey texture
Factors You Should Consider To Find The Best Toothpaste For Braces
And there they are – five popular products all considered to be the best toothpaste for braces in their own follower circles. But which is the best?
Well, that question is very hard to answer because of the simple fact that some toothpaste types will naturally work better for specific groups of people than for others. Especially taking into account the wide variety of highly-specialized products aimed at people suffering from very specific oral and orthodontic issues.
So, the chances are that the perfect toothpaste for braces that will magically solve all of your problems does not exist. But, that doesn’t mean that we don’t need to know what properties are more important than others (at least to ourselves) and try to get as many of them as possible.
Let us quickly breeze through some of the things you should consider before buying toothpaste for braces.
1. What Kind Of Treatment Do You Need?
As we briefly mentioned above, various toothpastes were designed to address various orthodontic issues. But, most of their duties can be divided into three groups, and knowing how to leverage their benefits can make your time with the brace far easier.
So, here they are:
- Fighting sensitivity – It is not that big of a secret that braces can cause a great deal of discomfort. In the long run, though, they can damage the enamel and cause increased teeth sensitivity. If you are experiencing these problems, finding the toothpaste featuring the ingredients used for dulling this sensitivity and strengthening the glaze is a true blessing.
- Whitening effect – This is a tricky one. Although most of the toothpaste formulas are designed to do precisely that, you should avoid the ones performing this task too vigorously. Namely, due to the very nature of the braces, the toothpaste won’t be able to clean all areas of your teeth equally. If you go overboard with whitening, sheltered spots will start showing the difference in color rather fast.
- Thorough cleaning – An absolute must. The area between braces and your teeth can become home to myriads of bacteria and other pests if not cleaned properly. So, always pick the variety that excels in this essential task.
- Most people consider flavors to be a property of secondary importance in the grand scheme of oral hygiene. Without any intention to come off too arrogant, but we have to straight-up say all these folks are wrong.
- A pleasant flavor can drastically improve your experience with the toothpaste and allow you to thoroughly clean the most inaccessible areas of your mouth. If you, on the other hand, find the flavor repulsing you will start slacking sooner than later and lose all the benefits of the formula.
3. Protection Against A Plaque And Tartar
- Plaque and tartar are not something exclusively associated with wearing the braces – they simply appear when you don’t brush your teeth well enough. But, it is hard to deny that this incredibly useful orthodontic device serves like a darn invitation to both these pests.
- Therefore, we urge you that you wind a brand with strong anti-plaque and anti-tartar properties. You won’t be able to eliminate them completely, but you will slow down their progress until the time comes to remove your braces.
4. Fluoride-based Formula
- There are a lot of hygiene products out there with the list of ingredients missing the fluoride formula for one reason or another. Some of them are probably trying to offer softer, kid-friendly performance – others to be more eco-friendly.
- Neither one of these products, however, is particularly well-known for the incredible or fast-acting performance. So, since you are in a position to desperately need every ounce of performance you can squeeze out, keep things traditional and stay with the good-old fluoride-based formula.
- On the other hand, if you are afraid of the environmental implications behind this ingredient, you should probably pick some other variety.
- This is not that much a matter of broader appeal as much as a safety precaution. Dedicated toothpastes for braces are usually slightly more expensive than their commoner cousins anyway. But, what happens if your younger family members accidentally use a formula that is maybe too potent and can cause strong allergic reactions?
- It’s better to be safe than sorry. So, try to find the products with a touch of family-friendly appeal. You’ll probably get more enjoyment out of them as well.
See Also: The Best Menthol Cigarettes
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
And now that we’ve gotten the opportunity to try out these five popular oral hygiene products competing for the title of the best toothpaste for braces and went through some critical buying considerations, let’s see what the results are.
We have to point out once more that directly comparing the toothpastes designed for different, probably more niche purposes is not always easy. How do anti-cavity properties compete against teeth whitening?
But, we will do our best to sum up our impressions in the fairest possible of manners and present you with three products that, in our opinion, score the best overall appeal.
Here are our picks.
Best product overall: Rembrandt Intense Stain Whitening Toothpaste
- There are very few things we can say about this exciting bundle we haven’t already mentioned in the review section. The performance is excellent throughout, the price more than affordable, and the overall impression great. Sure, some small wrinkles could be ironed out in some of the future iterations, but even in that in mind, this is our favorite toothpaste to date.
Best premium toothpaste for braces: Supersmile Professional Teeth Whitening Toothpaste
- If you want to keep the reliable performance on display with the previous brand, but you are concerned with some of the environmental implications that are associated with the items of this type, this is the toothpaste for you. Sure, you will be asked to pay a couple of dollars more, but you will still get one very capable product at the end.
Best budget pick: Colgate Sensitive Maximum Strength Whitening Toothpaste
- This package is dirty cheap. In most cases, this fact alone should raise some flags. But, Colgate is a company with too much experience to gamble its reputation on underwhelming products. So, this paste somehow manages to marry the best of both worlds – the chap price we are used to seeing in lower price segments and reliability of the strong brands like Colgate. Definitely worth checking.