Top 5 Best Pillows For Back Pain 2022:
- Snuggle-Pedic Ultra Pillow
- Sleep Whale Pillow
- TruContour Lumbar Pillow for Back Pain
- Comfort & Relax Ventilated Pillow
- Mediflow Waterbase Pillow
We live in a fast-paced world, and most of us work long hours either on our feet or sitting uncomfortably in front of computers. It has all left a toll on our well-being, and, as a result, most of us experience muscle strain, headaches, or back pain.
How can you help yourself feel better?
You cannot quit your job or change your lifestyle completely – or at least not at once. However, you can start the change by doing the little things that matter, such as securing a good night’s sleep.
You have probably already read about how a good night’s sleep helps your body recover from all it had to undergo during your busy day, so why not give it a helping hand?
How can you do that?
It’s simple, buy a quality pillow that will support your head, neck, and back properly, and you will be amazed how quickly it will prove to be beneficial. Today I’ll give you a helping hand too, and help you find the best pillow for back pain out there.
You have to start somewhere, so why not here and why not today?
How Can The Best Pillow For Back Pain Help You?
Pillow has a vital role in your sleeping routine. Its primary function is to position your spine correctly and line up your neck, back and lower back the proper way. The aim is to keep your head elevated just enough because if it is raised too high or resting below the neutral position, the pressure will move from your neck to your spine and cause pain.
In the case of a back injury, it is even more critical to find a pillow that will help stabilize your spine while you sleep and speed up the healing process. For this purpose, you should choose a pillow that will help keep your spine straight throughout the night.
Besides, if you suffer from chronic back pain, you should try using a pillow a bit unconventionally and place it either under your lower back or between your knees.
Both these tactics have proven to be highly beneficial and will help you sleep better and wake up with less pain & discomfort.
See Also: The Best Camping Pillows
What To Consider When Buying The Best Pillow For Back Pain
When searching for the best pillow for back pain on the market that is overflowing with pillows of all shapes and sizes, you should first define your criteria. Things you should consider are:
1. Pillow Size & Type
Besides six standard pillow sizes, there are smaller specialty sizes for specific pillow types too. The following table should help you manage:
|Type||Size (W x L)|
|Small Speciality Pillow (orthopedic/cervical)||20” x 12”|
|Standard Pillow (most common & least expensive)||20” x 26”|
|Super Standard (a bit longer than standard pillows but can fit a standard pillowcase)||20” x 28”|
|Queen Size Pillow (best choice for restless sleepers)||20” x 30”|
|King Size Pillow (ideal if you toss & turn or need a pillow that doubles as a head or backrest)||20” x 36”|
|Euro Pillows (they come in different dimensions)||26” x 26”; 24” x 24”; 22” x 22”; 20” x 20”; 18” x 18”; 16” x 16”|
|Body Pillows (mostly used by pregnant women and side sleepers)||54” x 20”; 48” x 20”|
Different materials can contribute to your pillow’s ability to help you manage or relieve your back pain, and those are:
- Buckwheat – Buckwheat pillows feature an adjustable loft and do not generate heat while you sleep. They offer decent support for your head & neck but can feel a bit too firm and heavy to move.
- Geese or Duck Down – Down pillows are lightweight, sleep cool, and adjustable, but sleepers with back pain mostly find them to be too soft, flat and unsupportive.
- Feathers – Feather pillows are a better option for people with back pain as they are firmer than down pillows, but they are costly as well.
- Polyester Fibers – Polyester fibers are often used as an alternative for down. Still, sleepers with back pain find them to be too soft to provide any support, and they also flatten rather quickly.
- Latex – Latex pillows conform to the curves of your neck for balanced support, but the loft is not adjustable. They are a bit expensive, but they pay off as they have a long lifespan and do not flatten quickly.
- Memory Foam – Memory foam softens in contact with your body and adjusts to its curves. As they alleviate a lot of pressure, they are the number one choice for all orthopedic pillows. The price is higher, though, and they sleep hot.
- Shredded Polyfoam – It is a budget-friendly option that serves as an alternative to costly memory foam. It offers some relief to people with back pain but has a short lifespan and flattens rather easily.
Pillow loft refers to the thickness of the pillow before you press it down. There are three main categories:
- Low-loft – Less than 3” thick.
- Medium-loft: 3” – 5” thick.
- High-loft: More than 5” thick.
The loft contributes to the support and comfort of the pillow, and it also makes it more or less suitable for sleepers with back pain. However, there are a few more things you need to consider when selecting a pillow for back pain based on the loft.
First of all, a lot depends on your sleeping position and whether you prefer to sleep on your back, side, or stomach. If you sleep on your back, buy a medium-loft pillow. Side-sleepers will find usually choose medium- or high-loft pillows, while the stomach-sleepers prefer low-loft pillows or do not use a pillow at all.
Modern pillows for back pain have water chambers that can be filled or drained to adjust the loft. These chambers are most often padded with foam for increased comfort. People who have slept on such pillows mostly confirm that they help alleviate pain.
If you suffer from back pain, you must consider the shape of your pillow as well. There are two main categories:
- Even Pillows: If you prefer pillows with non-contoured surface and even edges, you will be disappointed to know that they are not the best option for sleepers with back pain. If you cannot give them up altogether, at least choose the ones made from shredded memory foam or feathers as those will conform to your natural curves and relieve some pressure & pain.
- Curved Pillows: Curved pillows are the same as cervical or orthopedic pillows – and that says it all! They are made to provide support to people with neck and back pain. They are most often made from memory foam and feature a contoured surface.
5 Best Pillows For Back Pain In 2022: Detailed Reviews
1. Snuggle-Pedic Ultra Pillow – A Lifetime Warranty for Life-Long Comfortable Sleeping
The Snuggle-Pedic Ultra pillow is made of Certi-Pur Certified foam, and that means that no harmful chemicals were used during the process. Besides, it is hypoallergenic and dust-mite resistant so that you can sleep soundly even if you are allergic to feather pillows.
A unique technology is used to prevent the pillow from flattening, and, as a result, it retains its original shape quite long. The cover made with bamboo fibers and Lycra guarantees excellent breathability and is sure to keep you cool throughout the hot nights too.
The shredded memory foam conforms to the curve of your neck and head while you sleep and supports them properly, but it also enables you to customize the loft and firmness of the pillow. So, even though it is an orthopedic pillow, it can steel be made rather soft & fluffy – almost like a genuine feather pillow.
You have 120 days to try the pillow out, and if you are not satisfied, you can get your money back. Moreover, you’ll receive a whopping 20-year guarantee! The price might be high, but it is certainly fair.
- Eco-Friendly Biogreen® and Certipur-US Certified Foam
- Exceptional durability
- Retains its shape
- Adjustable loft
- Cover made from a highly breathable blend of bamboo, polyester, and Lycra
- Suitable for side, back, or stomach sleeper.
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant
- 120-night trial period
- 20-year warranty
- High price
- People who are used to feather and down pillows can find it inflexible & firm
2. Sleep Whale Pillow – Bamboo Fibers For Softness and Cool Sleeping
Sleep Whale pillow is ideal for sleepers with back pain as it is made from supportive, yet soft, bamboo-derived shredded memory foam. Due to the shredded pieces of foam, this pillow conforms to the shape of your head and neck supporting your spine for pain-free sleep.
The bamboo, as you know, has excellent breathability, and thus this pillow will not generate heat while you sleep and make you sweat during the night. The material is also hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites, so you need not worry that it will trigger your allergies or make you sneeze.
The removable cover is made with bamboo fibers too. It is machine-washable for your utmost convenience, so you’ll have no trouble keeping your pillow clean and sanitary at all times. Both cover and the pillow are dryer-safe as well.
Although shredded, the memory foam is still somewhat firm and might not suit people who prefer extra-soft pillows. The loft is adjustable, but this pillow is best suited for side sleepers. If you sleep on your stomach, you can shift the foam to adjust loft and secure back pain relief.
- Durable Shredded Memory Foam
- Improved air circulation for cool sleeping
- Hugs the shape of your neck and head
- Adjustable loft
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant
- Machine-washable cover
- Both the pillow and the cover are dryer safe
- Lifetime replacement
- Too firm for back sleepers
3. TruContour Lumbar Pillow for Back Pain – Medical Grade Memory Foam and Two Options for Perfect Support
TruContour lumbar pillow for back pain is made from medical grade memory foam of the highest quality and excellent durability. If you need added lumbar support during sleeping, this pillow is an excellent choice as it will help improve your sleep posture through spinal support.
It is suitable for all types of sleepers, so it does not matter if you sleep on your back, side, or stomach. There are two options for you to choose from – the Light Support and Super Lumbar. The former offers small or moderate support, while the latter provides the possibility to adjust the degree of support to your liking or your size by removing one of the two foam pieces. If you are a larger individual, you should opt for a higher density to avoid flattening of the pillow.
The TruContour pillow comes with a soft velour cover that can be washed in your machine. The materials this pillow is made of are all hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant, so you should not worry about allergies messing up your sleeping routine.
In case you are not pleased, you have thirty days to return the pillow and get your money back, as well as a one-year warranty.
- Made of 100% medical grade memory foam
- Suitable for all types of sleepers
- Comes in two versions for light to moderate and high support
- Adjustable loft
- Hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant
- Machine- washable, super-soft velour cover
- 1-year warranty
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Flattens rather quickly
4. Comfort & Relax Ventilated Pillow – Memory Foam Contour Pillow with AirCell Technology
Comfort & Relax Ventilated Memory pillow is made from CertiPUR-US certified gel-infused memory foam. The certificate vouches that it is toxic-free (no formaldehyde, methane chloride, or PBDE) and safe to use. It is one of the most popular contoured pillows for people with neck and back pain due to the exceptional support it offers to all types of sleepers.
Besides, the gel-infused memory foam allows for superb air circulation making the pillow breathable and suitable for sleeping even on the hottest of summer nights. The cover is also made from ultra-soft and highly breathable jersey material that can be washed in your machine and kept clean sweat-free.
This pillow has proven most effective for relieving neck and upper back pain, but it can help people with migraine-issues as well. The ergonomic wave contour design keeps your neck in a neutral position and well-aligned to your body, helping you sleep soundly and wake up rested.
If you are a petite person, you might find this pillow too large. The other issue could be a strong odor that is felt as soon as you unpack the pillow, but you will be pleased to know that the smell wears off in time.
- CertiPUR-US certified gel-infused memory foam
- Free of any toxic components
- Contoured wave design offers exceptional support
- Air Cell Technology Gel Memory foam keeps you cool during hot nights
- Removable and machine washable cover
- Reasonably priced
- 5-year guarantee
- The strong smell of the foam
- Quite large
5. Mediflow Waterbase Pillow – Weightless Sleeping Sensation
Mediflow Waterbase Pillow is an innovative pillow designed to help relieve your back pain and stiffness. You all know how a weightless feeling of floating on water helps us relax and find our balance, don’t you? Well, that is why the Mediflow Waterbase pillow uses water to support your head while you sleep on cloud seven.
I guess there is no need to tell you how water conforms to your natural body lines perfectly? Consequently, this pillow has a real power to reduce neck and back pain in minimal time. It doesn’t even matter whether you are a back, stomach, or side sleeper – no matter how much you toss or turn, the water will flow with you.
Of course, not everything is water. This pillow has a solid base made from hypoallergenic fiber filling.
Is it perfect?
Nothing is. This pillow is rather heavy, which is quite logical as every pillow would be once you pour some water in it. However, that might not be a bad thing for those of you who need a pillow that can keep you in a specific position throughout the night.
Even though it implements the newest technologies, this pillow is reasonably priced, so why not try it out? There is no risk as it comes with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee.
- Suitable for all types of sleepers
- Resilient polyester fiber layer for durability
- 100% hypoallergenic cotton shell
- Clinically proven water-based technology
- Made in the USA
- 3 Year Warranty
- 30-day Satisfaction Guarantee
- The weight of the pillow
Why would you tolerate neck and back pain? Especially now when you are equipped with all the needed knowledge to find the best pillow for back pain and your needs.
Are you still indecisive?
I’ll help you out once again and offer my three top choices:
My number one choice is the Mediflow Waterbase Pillow, as nothing beats the feeling of water lulling you to sleep. I also like how cool it feels during hot summer nights.
The runner up is the Snuggle-Pedic Ultra Pillow. The memory foam is never going out of fashion for one simple reason – it is effective in relieving neck and back pain and offers unsurpassable support. After all, they would not offer a 20-year guarantee if they had a faulty product, would they?
Last, but not least, is the TruContour Lumbar Pillow for Back Pain. It provides excellent support for the lumbar area and can be customized to fit people of all shapes and sizes.
In essence, you cannot go wrong with any of the pillows on my list. They are all designed to help people with back pain, and they deliver – all you need to do is choose the one that best fits your needs!