Top 5 Best Outdoor Wifi Extenders 2022:
- Netgear Orbi RBK23 Tri-Band
- Winegard RW-2035
- Galaway WiFi Range Extender
- Antenna World SimpleWifi G2424
- Remo Electronics Outdoor WiFi Antenna
So you’ve got a nice backyard, or a tricked out balcony? Awesome!
Too bad that none of your internet addict friends will want to visit you unless you have good WiFi.
The same goes for cafe and restaurant owners with outdoor seating – you better have your internet up and running!
If you need fast internet outdoors, then it’s time you look into some WiFi extenders. Below, you can find a list of the best outdoor WiFi extenders on the market, and what to know when buying one.
Related: The Best Wireless Routers
What Is An Outdoor WiFi Extender?
A WiFi extender is a device that brings the wireless signal to where it is needed. It uses wired and wireless technologies to convert your network’s signal into powerful WiFi in the area where you place it.
Depending on the design, an extender can be connected to a coax cable, or it can be plugged into a power outlet.
What To Know When Looking For An Outdoor WiFi Extender?
Unfortunately, buying a WiFi extender isn’t as simple as purchasing, say, a pair of shoes. These devices come in several different types and have many elements that need to be considered.
But don’t be intimidated by this because we’ve got the solution.
In the following paragraphs, you can read about all the features that you need to know before getting yourself a WiFi extender.
You don’t have to be a genius to understand the technical jargon used to describe tech products, but it’s tedious to read that kind of stuff.
So, to spare you the trouble, we’re going to break down all types of WiFi extenders so that you can easily understand the difference between them.
- If you need reliable WiFi in an outdoor area, then repeaters might not be the optimal choice. These contraptions use an existing signal and expand it to the area that surrounds the device.
- They literally “pull” the WiFi to a spot that you specify. A high-end repeater will not affect the overall quality of the signal, but a cheap one might actually weaken, or dilute it a little.
- Wired extenders connect to a WiFi router or an Ethernet port using a cable. If you have the ability to stretch out a wire from the internet source to the spot where you want to place the extender – great! It works really well.
- However, if you don’t want any more cables in the house, that you should look into wireless extenders.
- Antenna extenders are one of the most reliable kinds, but they’re not the easiest to install. But, in case you are, or you know, a tech-savvy person, then don’t worry about this.
- These extenders come in two types, wired and wireless, so you can choose the one that suits you more. They either look like boxes with small antennas, metal grids, or little satellite dishes.
- You can look at boosters as more powerful repeaters. They basically do the same thing, which is pushing WiFi signal into the areas where they’re placed. Boosters are a great solution for anyone who wants strong signal outdoors, or in remote areas of their home.
See Also: The Best Outdoor Light Bulb Cameras
- How big of an area do you need covered with WiFi? Figure out the answer to this question when looking for your optimal extender.
- Ranges vary a lot, both in terms of distance and spread. Some devices send the signal out in all directions, while others have a more focused, narrow distribution.
- Another essential factor to consider is whether the extender is compatible with the WiFi standard that you have at home. There are two main ones that are in use right now and they are 802.11ac and 802.11b/g/n.
- Some extenders are made to be compatible with both, but many work with just one standard. Pay close attention to this characteristic when shopping or you might spend your money on a useless product!
4. Single-band, Dual-band, Or Tri-band
- The number of bands is important because it dictates the speed which the extender will be able to emit.
- For example, dual-band models have a 2.4 GHz band as well as a 5GHz one, so you need an extender that will match this, to ensure optimal speed.
- You probably haven’t thought about this, but just like your computer, the extender is run by a processor. And, as you know, a stronger processor means better performance, and thus, a stronger WiFi signal.
- If you can, try to get an extender with a dual-core processor as it’ll enable you a stable and reliable connection.
- When it comes to WiFi extenders, you get what you pay for. Most high-quality products have a significantly higher price than the lower-tiered ones, but their performance is also much better.
- Now, the question remains – how much money should you spend on this product?
- The answer depends on how good of a WiFi signal you need. In case you work online, and the quality of your internet is vital to your job, then go for the priciest options.
- If you want to have WiFi outdoors to entertain guests or kids, then you can go for the mid-priced models.
Read More: The Best Ethernet Switch
5 Best Outdoor WiFi Extenders In 2022: Detailed Reviews
Like with all other products, we took our time to research, find, test, and review some of the best outdoor WiFi extenders on the market. The competition is fierce because there are so many great tech companies, and everyone wants their piece of the pie.
Nevertheless, we were able to discern the true gems from the rest, and now we bring them to you. Check out the reviews below!
If you’re chasing after WiFi coverage of your entire home plus the backyard, then this is the kind of product that might interest you. Understand that this isn’t the cheapest model out there, but it works exceptionally well.
Netgear’s product is able to cover an incredible 5000 ft of space. It has a tri-band design, which means that one band is dedicated to the Orbi router (or satellite), and the other two provide maximum speed to your devices.
As for the ease of access, this system uses the same SSID password that you already have set up. This removes the need to constantly sign out of one network and sign into the other. The device provides your home, and its surroundings, with a stable and reliable connection.
Now, the trouble with Orbi is that tech support takes a long time to get back to you, so you can forget about speedy problem-solving. Also, you need to make sure that the extender is installed correctly, or else, it’s going to make the connection unstable.
All in all, Orbi is a high-quality WiFi extender that has more benefits than drawbacks. If you’re willing to cash out for it, the chances are that you won’t regret it.
- Amazing coverage
- Fantastic speed
- Reputable company
- Relatively easy to set up
- Slow tech support
Winegard RW-2035 is a high-end, weatherproof WiFi extender that can provide you with fast internet in and around your home. However, this is the most expensive unit on our list, so if you’re willing to spend a couple of extra bucks, proceed to read the review.
Honestly, you probably won’t be able to find an extender quite as powerful as this one regarding signal strength. It has a coverage radius of an incredible 1000 feet, so the applications for it are plentiful.
For example, it’s a great solution for game cameras or any kind of equipment that relies on WiFi. Also, folks with a big yard or restaurants with large outdoor seating areas are going to have their internet requirements covered by the RW-2035.
As for the speed, well, this isn’t exactly the fastest extender, and it has 2.4 GHz. However, this is more than enough for 90% of internet users, so you shouldn’t worry about it too much.
One thing that this device lacks is the 802.11ac support that many folks rely on. Another setback is that it is not completely weatherproof.
Namely, the antenna can be installed outdoors, but some other components have to stay inside. Be sure to follow the installation instructions, and you should be fine.
- Very good coverage
- Great for patios
- Excellent for game cameras
- Antennas are adjustable
- Very expensive
- Top speed lower than some of its competition
While some of the extenders on today’s list weren’t built exclusively for outdoor use, this one is. Meet the Galaway WiFi range extender – a device that’s capable of enduring any kind of weather, to provide you with an excellent signal. You’ve got to respect that!
To pick up where we left off, Galaway’s product can stand the high heat, the extreme cold, as well as thunderstorms, so you won’t have to worry about it out in the elements. It even has a built-in lighting arrester, something that not many WiFi extenders can boast with.
When it comes to performance, this device supports the 802.11ac standard, a variant that’s faster than 802.11n. It is a dual-band extender with maximum speeds of 430 Mbps on 5GHz and 150 Mbps on 2.4 GHz.
Ok, so where’s the catch? All of this sounds too good to be true.
The catch is that Galaway won’t provide you with the coverage that some other models have. Don’t get us wrong, it is able to cover a backyard with an excellent signal, but it’s not for larger areas.
As for the price, this product won’t break your bank. It is several times cheaper than the previous two extenders, and even though it doesn’t have their range, it’s way more “outdoorsy.”
- Simple to install
- Can withstand extreme cold and hot weather
- Resistant to lightning strikes
- Optimal for backyards
- The range isn’t the best
- The signal may be weak sometimes
Have you ever heard of a directional parabolic grid? Neither have we.
It turns out that this thing is one of the best solutions for long-distance WiFi extension, so we decided to have a look. Little did we know that we’ll find a product as amazing as Antenna World’s G2424!
Who is this extender for?
It’s mainly for folks who live in rural areas and need their signal transported over long distances. Just how long are we talking here? Well, the manufacturers claim that it can send the signal up to 8 miles!
This is amazing, no doubt, just know that the signal coming from this extender tends to be a bit narrow.
The antenna has a speed of 2.4GHz, which isn’t spectacular, but it’ll get the job done. This extender is best used in sparsely populated areas where there aren’t many obstructions, and the signal can travel freely.
SimpleWifi G2424 is compatible with 802.11b/g/n, it is entirely weatherproof, and needs to be mounted on a pole. It falls right in the middle of the price spectrum, and with a range like this, we say that it is worth it.
Again, country dwellers or those who need a far-reaching connection in their nature retreat should definitely look into this product.
- Durable and completely weatherproof
- Very easy to mount (pole)
- Sends a strong signal over long distances
- Reasonable price
- The signal is a bit narrow
- Not for densely populated areas
Those who want to spend as little as possible and still get a decent WiFi extender mustn’t skip this review. Remo Electronics has pleasantly surprised us with a product whose quality surpasses its price.
The first thing that caught our attention was the sheer simplicity of the device’s design. There are no antennas sticking out, just a clean and simple white box, ready to be mounted. Speaking of mounting, you can attach it to a pole or screw it in on a wall; it’s super-simple.
Remo Electronics’ product has a speed of 2.GHz, and it can cover a radius of a quarter of a mile. It’s compatible with the 802.11b/g/n standards, so those with 802.11ac will not be able to use it.
The construction of this extender is weatherproof, and it is made to endure temperatures from -40C to +65C, which is truly amazing. The problem here is that bad weather might hinder the signal a little bit.
Is it powerful enough to be used at home? Absolutely, and we can recommend it to cafes, restaurants, or other businesses, too, given that they don’t require an ultra-fast connection.
From what we’ve learned, very few people have complaints about Remo Electronics’ WiFi extender, so why not give it a shot?
- Affordable price
- Quick and easy installation
- It has a decent range
- Bad weather might affect the signal
- Not the fastest
Ok, all you internet people, we’ve reached the end of the article and its time for us to say “Goodbye World.” We hope you get the techy pun.
But, before we leave you, let us present our top three picks for today.
The first place goes to Netgear Orbi. We simply adore this extender because of its unparalleled range (5000ft), high-speed performance, and quality construction. It’s among the pricier models, but you won’t regret it if you choose to buy it.
The silver medal is reserved for Winegard RW-2035, as its quality of signal and coverage can only be matched by the model above it.
And finally, there’s the Galaway, a device that’s perfect for areas with rough weather conditions as it can withstand anything literally.
Expanding your WiFi signal has never been easier!