Top 5 Best 3D Pens 2020:
As an artist, it is hard to imagine that you can actually project anything that you draw into reality, i.e., that all of your 3D sketches can become real, tangible objects.
It was first made possible with the invention of 3D printers, that we didn’t kinda like, to be honest. They were bulky, costly, and they somewhat resembled an industrial machine. You even had to use the computer, design the model, and then print it.
We like the idea enormously, though, it just had to be improved. And three heroes, Maxwell Bogue, Daniel Cowen, and Peter Dilworth, made our (and thousands of others’) wish come true: they made a small, inexpensive, and more practical variant of the 3D printer – 3D pen.
How did they do that?
Well, while the process of creation itself is an enigma to us, we can explain to you how these devices work and why you need to check out our list of the best 3D pens.
Basically, 3D pens emit heat that melts the plastic. The heating principle is somewhat similar to that of the glue gun; the material goes through a heated space, and it melts there. Then, the melted material goes through the nozzle, and that’s it! The rest is up to your skills and moves. Once you’re done, the plastic cools down and thickens.
Not only artists and creative people like them. 3D pens are a great tool to enrich the imagination of your child, and it is doubtless that all kids will like it! Of course, safety comes first, and therefore, there are 3D pens that are made especially for children.
In addition to these, there are a couple more types of 3D pens, and we want to familiarize you with them in the next section.
You’ll be making dozens of toys, figures, and beautiful and original jewelry pieces in no time!
Factors To Consider When Buying A 3D Pen
1. Temperature And Speed Control
The primary factor when it comes to 3D pens is how easily you can manage the heat and the speed of the process.
- Some pens offer completely adjustable temperature settings (this is usually done via the +/- or </> buttons, and displayed on the little screen), and some that offer only predetermined temperature settings for a specific kind of plastic.
- You should opt for the latter if you’re buying a 3D pen for your child, as it will be easier and safer for them to use, and for the former if you want a professional tool. We made sure to tackle both types in our review.
- As for the speed, it is important that you’re able to control it easily and precisely. This is usually done with a kind of a dial on the pen itself. You’ll be able to create at any speed.
- Imagine if you wanted to make, let’s say, a jewelry box. You don’t need the slow speed for the base or the cover, where you want the plastic to form a solid and bigger one-piece rectangle or a square. On the contrary, when you decorate the box, the lower speed is desirable, so that you can slowly and without mistakes draw all the details.
- You can choose between corded and cordless 3D printing pens.
- Obviously, the latter allows greater mobility and versatility, but we have to admit that this is not of prime importance when considering a 3D pen to buy. Actually, the corded ones are often more stable, and this an extremely lightweight tool, so we can hardly imagine why you wouldn’t be able to carry it along the cable with you.
3. Type Of The Filament
Finally, here’s a little guide on the type of plastic that can be used with 3D pens.
The two by far the most popular options are ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene) and PLA (Poly Lactic Acid).
Here’s how they compare:
|Melting temperature||High 210-260° C (410-482 °F)||Lower 160-220° C (320-428 °F)|
|Pros||Widespread and easy to use||Environment-friendly|
|Cons||Emit fumes||Longer cooldown time|
By the way, don’t let the high melting temperature of ABS worry you; your tiny device will surely be able to reach it, although it may take up a few more seconds.
For other materials, you can check the recommended temperature for any 3D printer, and lower it up to 10 degrees (since the pen is more efficient and heats up more quickly).
See Also: The Best Pen For Planners
5 Best 3D Pens In 2020: Detailed Reviews
Based on all these factors, we’ve performed in-depth testing and identified the five best 3D pens you can buy.
Sunfunny 3D pen is one of the top 3D pens, thanks largely to its simplicity combined with functionality.
With 15 individual PLA filaments (in random colors; we got the primary ones plus black, white, turquoise…), you can create virtually anything that you want.
As we’ve mentioned, PLA is environment-friendly, and the pen itself was made of eco-friendly material if you want to go ecological all the way. However, if ABS is your preference, this pen is compatible with that kind of filament refills, too (as long as they are 1.75 mm).
What makes this Sunfunny 3D pen even better are temperature and heat control mechanisms.
As for the former, you get to choose between predetermined ABS or PLA modes, which is very convenient as you don’t have to bother and adjust the temperature yourself. The green light will signal that your pen is heated, and you’re ready to go.
You can easily switch between low and high speed. You will see all the changes that you make on display.
The ceramic nozzle is perfectly smooth on the inside so that it ensures the perfect flow of your melted plastic and prevents clogging or unwanted outcomes of drawing.
Also, there are finger protectors, and this feature, along with the compact size of the pen, makes it safe for kids’ use.
What you also get with this purchase is a paper model, a PVC drawing board, and an adapter (and the fifteen PLA filaments that we mentioned).
- Excellent drawing quality for any project
- The buttons for material unload and feeding are conveniently placed
- Easy to use due to the simplified controls
- Powerful motor
- Both for kids and adults
If you’re looking for a professional and efficient 3D pen that enables all your creative endeavors, MYNT3D pen is at the top of its class.
This little tool is about as good as a 3D pen get, and let us explain why.
It offers fine-tuning, with temperature settings adjustable in one-degree increments from 130 to 240° C (266-464 °F) and is compatible with all 1.75 mm ABS and PLA filaments. This versatility of settings allows you to easily change the temperature for the finest and precise effects in the process of creating your future figures.
There is also the “continuous flow” option if you double click the feed button so that you can rest your fingers while working.
With this purchase, you’ll get three ABS filaments (grey, green, blue – a total of 9 m), an A/C adapter, the USB cable, the screwdriver, and a 1-year limited warranty.
Speed is controlled via the dial that is easily operated while you work; you can abruptly increase it to fill a bigger area, and then slow it down for more intricate details.
What we also liked about this 3D pen is its ultra-slim design and the ergonomic shape. You can maneuver it easily, and it will look great on your table.
The nozzle is replaceable, so all your mistakes can be easily fixed, and the whole system works flawlessly.
It is portable because it is USB-powered, and you can use it with regular power banks. Therefore, you can take your projects on a trip with you!
- Meets the expectations of the most advanced users
- Completely adjustable temperature control technology
- Effective speed control
- Long USB cord (circa 24 inches)
- The OLED display is visible from all the angles
- It shuts off automatically when idle
- For most of your projects, you would have to buy additional filaments
Because of its ergonomic design and advanced features, Longhui 3D pen is a valuable purchase.
This pen has fun and easy to use touch screen buttons for setting up the temperature. It heats up quickly, but it is low-temperature only, so it is compatible with PCL filament that requires a lower temperature.
As we’ve noted, this option is eco-friendly, and if you prefer this type of plastic, the temperature settings will not only suit the material but also serve as an additional safety measure.
The plug-in is standard Android charger port, so there is a high chance that you’ll be able to charge your pen anywhere you go, even if you forget the charger that comes with the purchase. This means that you can also use it with a power bank.
With this purchase, you will get everything to get you started:
- The user manual (with very precise guidelines)
- The USB cable
- The power adapter
- A beautiful box for your projects
- A drawing pattern (we got a butterfly)
- 180-feet PLC filament in random colors
The pen is not completely round, and the ergonomic design enables a comfortable grip on the three sides of a pen. It might take some time to get adjusted to it, but once you do, your hands and fingers will be grateful to you for choosing this pen.
- Quick charging
- You get a considerable amount of supplies to begin with
- Easy to maneuver
- PLC is biodegradable and cools down in no time
- Clear instructions
- Safe for kids
- One-year warranty
- Compatible only with PLC filaments
- People who have larger hands might have some trouble holding the pen
We loved drawing with 3Doodler Start pen; its quality build and add-ons made our projects significantly easier to make.
It is ideal for those who are looking for a tactile and creative toy for their kids.
This is arguably the safest, yet not feature-limited, 3D pen for kids. Due to the fact that there are no hot parts even when the pen is heated, and a single sufficient temperature and speed setting, you can give this 3D pen to your child without any worries.
But not only that – this pen will be the greatest catalyst of your child’s creative skills and the real enabler of imagination, as well as spatial awareness.
What we were really fans of is the interactive 3Doodler App, which enables you to draw and model your designs right on the screen. Basically, your device becomes a canvas, and the pen itself translates it into a real-life object. It is available both on Google Play and in the Apple Store. There can also be found creative stencils to get you started.
With this purchase, you will get the following:
- The USB charger
- Activity guide (straightforward, with hundreds of free tutorials)
- Four packs of 48-strands of PLC eco-plastic (in various colors)
- The protagonist itself, 3Doodler Start 3D Pen
This fantastic little tool will undoubtedly be a favorite gift to any child!
I mean, who wouldn’t like to draw in the air?
- A lot of exciting colors of the eco-plastics, such as Glow in the Dark and Aqua Mint
- Biodegradable plastic
- 1-year warranty and free replacement policy
- High-quality material
- Fast cool technology
- Best for kids
- The add-ons are not compatible with other 3Doodler pens
- The pen is not intended for professional use
5. 7TECH 3D Pen
Because of its ultra-versatility, 7 Tech 3D pen allows you and your kids to fully explore the world of 3D modeling.
We say “ultra-versatile” because it has completely adjustable speed and heat control. The temperature can be set from 150 to 230° C, though it has predetermined settings for the two popular materials (160-180° C for PLA and 180-210° C for ABS). You can easily control the speed by using only your thumb.
Both speed and control are shown on a convenient LCD panel placed between the buttons.
Also, it is compatible with 1.75 mm filament, and this set includes 3 ABS filaments in random colors. Thanks to its diameter, this pen can use spool filaments, which significantly facilitates loading.
Apart from that, you’ll get the user manual, power adapter, and spatula to protect your fingers.
While all these features contributed to the presence of this pen on our top five, what we liked the most is a reverse function that can be used when the material gets stuck inside of the pen. One of the most frustrating things that can happen to your 3D pen is being clogged, and it’s nice knowing that this pen offers an easy solution for that.
As this pen is suitable for both kids and adults, you can buy one and enjoy numerous practical and creative figures made with it.
- Easy temperature adjustment
- Heats up quickly
- The reverse function
- Ergonomic shape
- Great flow rate
- 1-year warranty
- The nozzle is not removable
- The tip of the pen can get hotter than with some other models
Our 3 Picks Of 3D Pens
At the end of this creative journey, the only thing left is to proclaim the winners for each category.
The best 3D pen overall is MYNT3D professional printing pen, which produced the best-looking figures we’ve seen from one of these incredible makers. Its design and features did not fail to impress us, too.
For those of you who want to have a full 3D experience, Sunfunny Pen is one of the best items for the price, featuring heat and speed control mechanisms, the ceramic nozzle, and finger protectors.
Ideal for kids and their safety, 3Doodler Start 3D Pen is our final best choice for all the youngsters out there.