Top 5 Best Cocoa Butter Lotions 2021:
- St. Ives Softening Body Lotion
- Sky Organics Cocoa Butter
- Burt’s Bees Cocoa and Cupuacu Butters Body Lotion
- Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula
- NIVEA Cocoa Butter Body Cream
There’s just something magical about cocoa, and we’re not talking about chocolate.
Ok, that too!
Besides being delicious, cocoa butter is outright amazing for your skin. That’s why, in the last few years, we’ve seen a surge in lotions that have this ingredient as their base.
People are mad about this stuff, and for a good reason – it works.
Mother nature has done an amazing job with this plant, and you should get the taste of it on your skin!
With so many brands to choose from, we’d like to help you select the best cocoa butter lotion for you. If you like what you’ve read so far, wait ’till you see what’s coming!
5 Best Cocoa Butter Lotions In 2021: Detailed Reviews
So, you Googled “cocoa butter lotions” and the number of results that popped up made your head spin. Don’t worry; this is an entirely normal reaction.
To help you find the very best lotions that’ll cater to your specific needs, we created the list below. Go on, take a look at it!
1. St. Ives Softening Body Lotion – Best Overall
Texture, texture, texture – boy, does it matter! We’d dare to say that when it comes to texture, no one does it better than St. Ives. Their cocoa butter lotion is truly something else, and its popularity proves it. Let’s take a closer look at this skin-smoother!
This silky lotion simply glides over one’s skin. It gets soaked in quickly, and there isn’t even a hint of oiliness. The effects of St. Ives are long-lasting, and they’ll linger from morning to dusk, so you don’t have to worry about reapplication.
This product works best with dry skin, but it’s suitable for other skin types as well. This is thanks to the addition of soybean oil, which makes it easy to apply. Remember, a small amount goes a long way with St. Ives, so don’t apply too much.
The lotion doesn’t contain parabens or other harmful substances, or, in other words, it’s got 100% natural moisturizers.
Now, is St. Ives perfect? No, of course not.
It is pricier than many of its competitors. Also, some customers complained of its vanilla scent. A few folks compared it to cheap perfume, while others said it smelled more like coconut.
Other than these few setbacks, St. Ives lotion is one of the best in the game right now, and we highly recommend it!
- All-natural ingredients
- Doesn’t contain parabens
- Suitable for all skin types
- It gets soaked in quickly
- A bit on the pricey side
- Some customers don’t like the smell
2. Sky Organics Cocoa Butter – Best Raw Cocoa Butter
Purists and those who want as much cocoa in their cocoa butter lotion as possible, don’t skip this one. Behold, Sky Organics 100% pure, unrefined, raw cocoa butter with NO additional ingredients. We can almost feel your environmentalist excitement!
The only ingredient of this product is, like we said, cocoa butter. This means you’ll reap all the benefits of this incredible plant in its natural state. The downside is that plain cocoa butter doesn’t have the most pleasant texture. Namely, it’s rock hard and, before application, you’ll have to warm it up with your hands to soften it.
The butter gets absorbed very quickly and doesn’t leave the skin greasy. You can use it on every corner of the body, from head (including hair) to foot. It moisturizes the skin very well and demonstrates why this butter is such a big thing these days.
Sky Organics smells like, well, cocoa! Most users seem to love this, but there are those who didn’t like it. We assume that folks who disliked it are used to artificial fragrances that many skincare products have.
The product isn’t the cheapest, but considering that it’s unrefined, responsibly made, cruelty-free, and all that good stuff, the price is worth it.
- 100% pure raw cocoa butter
- Whole-body application (including hair)
- Moisturizes the skin well
- Rock hard texture
- Not cheap
3. Burt’s Bees Cocoa and Cupuacu Butters Body Lotion – Best All-Natural Lotion
Are you after a natural body lotion? Well, they don’t make ’em more natural than Burt’s Bees. Their cocoa and cupuacu butter lotion has taken the market by a storm, and it seems everyone wants to get in on the action. Find out what’s all the fuss about below!
The lotion is made for whole-body application. Even though it’s not meant for the face, you probably won’t have any problems if you put it there too. It’s got a thick and gooey texture, but it isn’t greasy, which is a good thing.
All of the above means the lotion is easy to apply, and it won’t leave you feeling like an oily noodle once you smear it over you.
Burt’s Bees is free of parabens and all that other nasty stuff, so you can rest assured that it’s entirely natural and safe to use. The lack of artificial ingredients means no ‘fake’ fragrances, so the scent of this lotion, well, isn’t for everyone. Certain users found the smell disappointing or even unpleasant. We advise you to look into this a bit before buying.
As for the price, it’s slightly cheaper than St. Ives, but still among the pricier products of this kind.
- All-natural ingredients
- Non-greasy application
- Provides excellent hydration
- Can be applied to the whole body
- The smell isn’t for everyone
- Problems with the pump
4. Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula – Best Skin Firming Lotion
Looking to firm up your skin after pregnancy or after losing some weight? Sorry to break it to you folks, but here’s no way around exercise!
However, a lotion that’s designed to do that can’t hurt, right? Palmer’s cocoa butter formula will assist you on your skin-tightening journey, so read on to learn what it’s all about.
This formula is created so that it makes the skin firm while keeping it hydrated, moisturized, and soft. In this way, wrinkles will be prevented from forming, and your skin will retain (or regain) its youthful look. So yes, Palmer’s is a great addition to one’s anti-aging skincare program.
The lotion is packed with all kinds of goodies (besides cocoa butter) such as almond oil, collagen, argan oil, vitamin E, and many others. This potent mixture of ingredients does a fantastic job of keeping one’s skin nice and moist.
Its consistency is very thick, perhaps too thick for the squirt bottle that it comes in. Many folks would prefer it in a container, as the pump sometimes gets stuck and doesn’t work.
Besides this, some users claimed that the lotion indeed hydrates but doesn’t firm the skin well. So, our advice would be to use it as an assistant to tightening-up through exercise and diet, but not as the primary method.
- Hydrates the skin well
- All-natural ingredients
- Chocolatey and pleasant smell
- Too thick for a squirt bottle
- Doesn’t firm up the skin very well
5. NIVEA Cocoa Butter Body Cream – Best Budget Option
Nivea is a heavy-weight in the cosmetics and skincare industry, so they need no special introduction. As expected, their cocoa butter lotion is top-rated among present-day customers.
What first struck us is how creamy this lotion is. It’s not too-thick nor sticky, and it has a dense whipped-cream texture. According to Nivea, its effects should last up to 48 hours, but is it really so? In our experience, no, it doesn’t last that long, but it’ll hold up for the better part of the day.
Aside from cocoa butter, the product contains Vitamin E as well as something called Deep Moisture Serum, which enables the skin to absorb it quickly. The potential issue here is that this lotion has parabens in it, so it isn’t all-natural. We wouldn’t recommend it to people with sensitive skin.
The product is packaged in 15 oz containers, and it is one of the cheapest on the list. You could say that it is a good budget option, but you’ll likely use it up faster than 15 oz of some other lotion. You’ll need to apply a bit more of Nivea than you would, let’s say, St. Ives.
- Long-lasting effects
- Light and pleasant scent
- Creamy texture, easy to apply
- Contains parabens
- Not for sensitive skin
- Doesn’t last for 48 hours (as advertised)
What Is Cocoa Butter Lotion?
Cocoa butter lotion is a skincare product that has cocoa butter as its base ingredient. It offers excellent hydration and is very popular among people with dry skin.
Also, it’s widely used by folks suffering from skin conditions (eczema, dermatitis, etc.), as it (usually) doesn’t cause irritation.
On top of this, cocoa butter lotion is considered to have anti-aging skincare properties. As you can see, this lotion can do one’s body a lot of good.
What To Know Before Buying Cocoa Butter Lotion?
Like any other skincare product, cocoa butter lotions come in several varieties. For example, some are made for a specific body part, while others won’t fit every skin type.
Purchasing a wrong kind of lotion would mean unsatisfactory results, and thus, a waste of money.
You don’t want that; we don’t want that, so listen up.
In the following paragraphs, you can read about the most essential features of these products. By learning them, you’ll be able to pick the optimal lotion for your needs.
1. Intended Use
- Like we mentioned, there are various cocoa butter lotions for multiple purposes. Certain products are made to be used on your hands, as the skin here often gets dry. Some lotions are created for the entire body, and others are made exclusively for in-shower use. Think about what kind of product you need and choose accordingly.
- Sometimes, the texture of the lotion depends on its purpose (e.g., thick lotions are less greasy), but this isn’t always the case. In some instances, this feature just depends on the manufacturer’s preferences.
- Now, how can you know a lotion’s texture without trying it?
- Most brands note it on the label, but you’ll never truly know until you buy it, and that’s the downside. But, you’ll have to work with what you have, and we advise you to get a non-greasy, smooth formula that the skin absorbs quickly.
3. Scented Or Unscented
- When browsing through cocoa butter lotions, you’ll find both scented and unscented options. With unscented formulas, the butter’s sweet and nutty natural aroma takes over.
- In case you’d like some other scent, you can choose between a myriad of various smells – vanilla, mint, fruits, and so on. However, be aware that some scents come from artificial ingredients.
4. No Chemicals
- Certain manufacturers put potentially harmful chemicals in their lotions. These are usually parabens, sulfates, SLS, and others. Some of these ingredients may irritate your skin or cause undesired effects after long-term use. Your best bet would be to stay away from those.
5. Additional Ingredients
- Many cocoa butter lotions contain various moisturizing agents such as shea butter or soybean oil. These are all-natural ingredients that enhance the lotion’s moisturizing and hydration properties.
- The issue here is that there are many ‘puritans’ who want a strictly cocoa butter-based product, and who don’t like additives. This is fine, and all they have to do is look for a pure cocoa formula.
6. Skin Type
- Cocoa butter lotions aren’t just for people with dry skin. Individuals with other skin types can use them too, but they’ll have to choose a suitable lotion.
- The label should contain information about what skin type the product is meant for (dry, oily, combined). Most brands make lotions for all types, so be sure to check this before making the purchase.
7. Size And Cost
- When considering which lotion to buy, pay attention to the bottle’s size and the price that it goes for. Certain products might seem like a good deal until you compare them to other brands, and see that they offer more for less money. Our suggestion is that you calculate the cost per ounce, and use that as your reference when shopping.
8. Type Of Packaging
- You’ll find cocoa butter lotions in various packages – squeeze/squirt bottles, tubs, glass containers, and so on.
- Packaging has a big impact on the ease of use. For instance, squirt bottles allow for quick application (e.g., in the shower). Glass containers are heavy and prone to breaking, while squeeze bottles are compact and are ideal for traveling.
See Also: The Best Foundation For Textured Skin
Ok, people, that’s all that we had in store for you today. As you can see, cocoa butter lotions vary a lot, and not every type will suit you. However, there is a lotion for everyone, and we hope that we helped you find it.
All thats sitting and reading must have made your skin even dryer. Let’s not waste any more of your time, and let’s get into our top three picks.
The gold medal goes to St. Ives lotion. The main reason for our decision is that this is the most well-rounded lotion we’ve seen so far, and it’ll suit the largest number of buyers.
Right after it, there’s the very different, but just as good, Sky Organics cocoa butter. If you’re into 100% natural and raw cosmetics, then there’s no better choice for you than this one.
Finally, we’d like to mention Burt’s Bees body lotion. This product contains no harmful chemicals, and a myriad of natural ingredients that’ll keep your skin hydrated, healthy, and gleaming.
In case you like some other product more than any of these three, please don’t listen to us and just go for it. Your skin will thank you!