Top 5 Best Xbox Steering Wheels 2022:
Racing games are great because they let you drink and drive!
Name one person who doesn’t enjoy that? Well, maybe your wife, who’s angry at you for playing video games drunk all the time.
Once you sort out that whole wife thing, it’s time to take your racing game experience to the next level (and we don’t mean drugs) – we’re talking about an Xbox steering wheel!
This baby can give you as much thrill as a real race car, in the comfort of your home and at a lower cost.
Now that we’ve got your attention, we’d like to present you with the best Xbox steering wheels on today’s market, and get you on the way to ruining your marriage!
See Also: The Best Controller For Smash Ultimate
What Is An Xbox Steering Wheel?
For those who don’t know, an Xbox steering wheel is a racing game controller in the shape of an actual steering wheel, that sometimes comes with a set of foot pedals.
The first such device has been introduced in 2006 and has significantly grown in popularity since then. The original steering wheel was issued by Microsoft (the owner of Xbox), but today, you can find models from different manufacturers.
See Also: The Best Card Shuffler
What To Know Before Buying An Xbox Steering Wheel?
The biggest problem that racing game fans face today is choosing the best, or the right steering wheel for their needs. If you’ve ever browsed the internet for this product, you know what we’re talking about.
So, how does one pick the optimal model?
A good way to start is to read the following section. It’ll teach you about the crucial factors that you need to consider before buying one of these products.
More on this later in the article.
1. Size And Degree Of Rotation
- When it comes to the size of the wheel, you’ve got many to choose from. If you want an authentic race car experience, you can get one that looks/feels just like a real steering wheel. You can find replicas of steering wheels from famous Ferrari or Porsche racing cars, and even Formula 1.
- However, be aware that, in most cases, these products are not the same size as the real thing, but a bit smaller.
- Also, some models are even smaller than the above mentioned, but this doesn’t mean that they’re worse in any way because the size is a matter of personal preference.
Here comes the really important part.
- The degree of rotation varies from model to model, with cheaper models usually having a smaller one than pricier models. More expensive steering wheels offer a greater range of rotation, akin to an actual car.
This characteristic will have an enormous impact on your playing experience, so keep this in mind when shopping.
If you’re interested in pedal-less driving, then skip this part. However, we assume that most players want a wheel with a set of pedals, so here’s what they need to look out for.
- An inexpensive Xbox steering wheel will probably have cheap, plastic pedals that need gentle handling. Since it is easy to get carried away when playing video games, most users put more pressure on the pedals than required, thus breaking them sooner than they’d like to.
- In other words – they’re not very durable.
- To get sturdier pedals, you’ll simply have to pay more. Mid-range models are commonly made of plastic but reinforced with metal, so they can take a beating. Premium wheels and pedals cost the most, but they’ve got the strongest construction and provide the most realistic feel.
- Besides this, know that some wheels only have two pedals (acceleration and brake), while others include the clutch too. Make sure to check what the manufacturer and users have to say about this feature!
- Our article is about Xbox steering wheels, but did you know that some of them are compatible with other consoles too? Yes, some models can be used with Playstation and PC also!
- This is excellent news for those who own different consoles, and those who like to switch things up a bit.
- Wait, there’s more.
- If you bought a multi-console steering wheel without pedals, and now you want to get them too, make sure that they’re made by the same manufacturer as the wheel.
- Many people make the mistake of buying this component from a different company, and it ends up being non-compatible with what they have.
4. Force Feedback
- Force feedback is a somewhat newer addition to Xbox steering wheels. Basically, what this does is add resistance to the wheel to provide you with a realistic feel when playing.
- To put it differently, this system tries to replicate the way a real steering wheel reacts when driving across different terrains.
- This feature is a game-changer because, in high-quality models, it truly creates a very authentic driving experience that makes your favorite racing game even more exciting.
- The force feedback effect is created by one or two motors built into the steering wheel. The two-motor variant is generally seen as better than the other, so this is what you ought to look for.
- Now listen carefully – not all steering wheels have force feedback.
- There are still some models that don’t include this feature, and they’re usually in the low price range. Of course, it isn’t necessary to have this addition, but it makes gaming a lot more fun.
We’ve come to the big P-word.
- In the case of Xbox steering wheels, price matters big time. If you’re on a low budget, you’ll be able to get yourself a few decent steering wheels, but with basic/limited options.
- On the other hand, there are high-end options with features that cheap models lack. These features include force feedback, and pedals (including the clutch). Another factor that has a considerable impact on the price is the quality of construction.
- Among the most expensive models, you’ll find authentic replicas of famous car companies like Ferrari or Porsche.
So, to sum it all up, a higher cost means better build quality and more options for the player. If all of the above is important to you, then you’ll have to pay.
5 Best Xbox Steering Wheels In 2022: Detailed Reviews
After hours of research and lengthy consultations with gaming experts, we were finally able to pinpoint and gather the best Xbox steering wheels into one short list.
The products that you can see below range from top-of-the-line to affordable, so we’re sure that you’ll find one that suits you.
What’s fascinating about Logitech G920 is that there’s almost no debate about its quality. Nearly all gamers agree that this is one of the best products of its kind, so that’s why we placed it at the top of our list.
The Logitech G920 steering wheel is specially designed for Xbox One, but it can also be used with a personal computer. The wheel is covered with leather providing an unbelievably comfortable grip.
The wheel comes equipped with dual-motor force feedback, as well as 900-degree rotation, which create a realistic driving experience, unmatched by any others. As for the other features, the wheel comes with a fully integrated pedal set, meaning that you’ll get gas, brake, and clutch.
The pedals are made to resemble the real thing closely, so you’ll get the feeling that you’re driving an actual car.
G920 can be mounted on a desk or a table, so the player can make their own little cockpit and enjoy a truly immersive gaming experience.
Now, what this product lacks is the headphone jack, something that is often found on Xbox steering wheels.
Finally, Logitech G920 is pretty expensive, so if you want to get it, you’ll have to throw down a lot of money. However, be sure that it is well worth it.
- Comfortable grip
- Sturdy and durable build
- Creates a very realistic feel
- Includes all three pedals
- Very expensive
- Compatible with only Xbox and PC
Formula 1 freaks, here’s what you’ve been waiting for. Thrustmaster is a full-size replica of Ferrari’s Formula 1 2011 wheel, licensed and approved by the car company! Find out all bout it below.
The first thing that we learned about this product is how strong and well-made it is. It’s constructed of reinforced, scratch-brushed metal, making it one of the sturdiest products of this kind.
The grips are covered with rubber, and they are designed so that the knobs and switches are within a finger’s reach. Another cool aspect is that the wheel is very customizable, so you can adjust it to your liking.
The Thrustmaster is compatible with almost every popular gaming console out there. We’re talking about Xbox One, PS3, PS4, and PC! If this isn’t enough, then we don’t know what is.
An essential thing that you need to know is that the wheel has two different games modes.
The “normal” mode utilizes thirteen action buttons, seventeen programmable functions, and three D-pads. The “advanced” mode makes use of twenty-five action buttons, twenty-nine programmable features, and one D-pad.
The wheel doesn’t come with pedals, it lacks a headphone jack, and it’s as expensive as the previous one. If you’re ok with all of the above (and you love Formula 1), then give this product a shot.
- Looks very sleek
- Extremely durable and strong
- Official Ferrari license
- Very customizable
- Reported problems with D-pads
- Bad customer service
Here’s another Thrustmaster steering wheel, but this time, it’s not a Formula 1 model. The TMX is a high-end wheel for race car fans who are looking for something in the middle price range. Let’s see what it can do.
Compatible with Xbox One and PC, the TMX is one of the most popular models on the market right now. The reason for this is that it includes all that you’d want out of such a product.
The wheel has an excellent force feedback system that even the most expensive models wouldn’t shy away from it.
A two-pedal set is included in the package, but they’re not very durable, which is a buzzkill. However, you can buy a better one separately, as well as the gearbox, if you wish.
As for the rotation, this model is capable of 900 degrees, and you know that it can’t get better than that. The trouble here is that turning the wheel doesn’t go very smoothly, which can be irritating at first.
All things considered, Thrustmaster TMX is an excellent product that offers a lot and comes at a decent price. If you neglect some of its setbacks and the notoriously bad customer service, this is a good buy.
- Very good force feedback
- 900-degree rotation
- Comfortable grip
- Pedals are flimsy and weak
- Rotation isn’t smooth
Hori is a racing wheel with an official license from Microsoft. It has gained fame because of its reasonable price and an array of features that make gaming very enjoyable. See what this mid-range product has to offer.
The wheel includes a set of two pedals (gas and brake), but they are not of very high quality. The pedals are made of plastic and have no progressive resistance, so you won’t get a very realistic driving experience.
Hori is capable of 270-degree rotation, but you can also lock it to 180 if you like. The latter can be useful for specific race requirements. The great thing is that this switch can be done very smoothly thanks to the quick handling mode.
It’s compatible with both Xbox and PC, which will give the players some versatility.
A significant drawback of Hori is its lack of force feedback, which means that you won’t get the advanced, realistic response with this wheel. As we said, this isn’t a top-of-the-line model, but it can be an excellent option for first-time buyers.
The product is very light, so carrying it to a friend’s house won’t be a problem. Also, it is sold for a great price, so you won’t have to go broke to own it.
- Lightweight but well-built
- Sold for a reasonable price
- Smooth rotation and customizable features
- Easy to use
- No force feedback
- Pedals are weak
- Relatively small
Last but not least, we’d like to introduce you to a steering wheel that’ll suit everyone’s pocket. Subsonic SA5426 is an affordable yet quality wheel that’ll provide you with loads of fun, so let’s see what it’s all about.
This steering wheel isn’t exclusively made for Xbox One, but it is compatible with an array of consoles such as PS 4 and PS3 (including the slim versions). However, there have been complaints that it doesn’t perform well on PS 4, so you better stick with Xbox.
The wheel uses suction cups to attach itself to a desk/table or any other smooth surface. Such a system does a moderately good job of securing the wheel, just try to be gentle when using it.
When it comes to rotation, the SA5426 can move 180 degrees. There are several driving modes that will allow you to adjust the sensitivity according to your needs and requirements of the game.
A two-pedal set is included, but, as you could have guessed, it isn’t very durable, nor does it have progressive resistance.
All in all, Subsonic SA5426 is a good choice for buyers on a budget, or as a present for a racing game fan kid.
- Very affordable
- Compatible with multiple consoles
- Offers 180-degree rotation
- Includes two pedals
- Poor quality build
- Can’t be secured well
The race is over guys, and now it’s time for us to announce our top picks for today.
As many have suspected, our favorite model is the Logitech G920. We simply love its powerful force feedback, the sturdy construction, and the overall feel that it provides.
Following it is the Thrustmaster Ferrari F1 steering wheel, as it is the best possible choice for Formula fans.
The third place goes to another Thrustmaster, but this time TMX, because it is the highest quality mid-price model we found so far.