Top 3 Best Springform Pans 2021:
- Top Pick: Nordic Ware Leakproof Springform Pan, 10 Cup, 9 Inch
- Runner-Up: Wilton 4-Inch Mini Springform Pans
- Budget Pick: Hiware 7 Inch Non-stick Springform Pan/Cheesecake Pan/Leakproof Cake Pan Bakeware
Move over, cheesecake: there’s more to make in a springform pan than meets the eye. A great springform pan lets you bring casseroles to life, take pie to new heights, and let quiches live up to their full potential. When you have the right tools in your kitchen, serving a hungry crowd becomes much easier.
If you’re looking for a great addition to your kitchen that will earn its keep with ease, you may want to check out the best springform pans for the job. In this article, we’re looking at the best springform pans currently on the market.
What Exactly Is A Springform Pan?
- A springform pan is a round cake pan that is held together by a spring latch. This allows you to handle baked goods without having to use a knife to slide the food out of the pan. All you have to do is pull the buckle and the sides will come off the pan with ease, with no stuck-on food.
- As mentioned earlier, springform pans are worth adding to your kitchen lineup, especially if you do a lot of baking. An upside down cake, for example, would be effortless to make in a springform pan. Being able to take down the sides is the best part of owning a pan in this category.
Why Buy A Springform Pan?
Building out your ideal kitchen isn’t just about selecting the brightest shade of your favorite color or filling the kitchen with every piece of decor you can find. It is about getting different tools that will allow you to deliver great meals consistently, accurately, and successfully. Successful baking means ensuring that the food comes out the way you anticipated, without any accidents. If you’re making a cake for a special event and the bottom isn’t properly cooked through, the entire cake is no longer fit for company.
A springform pan helps you get the consistency that you’re looking for. Instead of bakeware that doesn’t deliver results, you can turn to a category of pan that’s been used in kitchens all over the world. The spring-release latch construction is brilliant, as you don’t have to risk the sides of the cake, pie, or quiche getting ruined.
There are so many options in today’s marketplace for springform pans that it has the effect of making them very affordable. This means that you can pick up a few just to have different sizes, or you can have a pan in multiple colors just to complement the other decor of your kitchen. After all, there’s nothing that says something can’t look great and be highly functional at the same time.
While you can make more than cheesecakes in this type of bakeware, the truth is that if you want great cheesecake, doing it in a springform pan makes sense. It’s a great pan for the water bath technique, where you must lower the pan into another open pan full of water. This produces a cheesecake with good color and texture, as long as you give it time to cool after baking.
Let’s go a little deeper into what to really look for when purchasing one of these great springform pans.
What To Look For When Buying The Best Springform Pan
A few points, before we begin: there are a lot of options on the market, but all will share similar characteristics. These basic features are what makes a springform pan, and the construction aspect is pretty important. Bakeware is a valuable investment in a kitchen, so you always want to ensure you’re getting the best product for your money.
That said, here are a few elements to look for when you’re picking up a springform pan:
- Does size matter? Absolutely! For small, intimate meals, a small springform pan can provide enough servings for the event without filling the fridge with leftovers that may not be eaten quickly. On the other hand, if you’re accustomed to cooking for a large amount of people, you definitely want to look at getting a much larger pan. For quiche recipes, a larger pan lets you not only serve a hungry crowd, but have enough for leftovers to go in the freezer.
- Purchasing a set versus single pieces can give you great flexibility in terms of what you can bake. When you’re cooking for a large number of people, being able to bake different dishes in multiple pans can reduce your total preparation time. A set of pans could give you the flexibility to make cheesecakes in different flavors, or a small line of quiches with different flavors for your guests to sample.
- Experienced bakers will want to still spray any baking pan they use. But when it comes to the best springform pans, you want to look for ones that include non-stick coating. The non-stick coating makes getting cheesecakes, pies, and quiches out of the pan much easier, because the baked goods don’t stick to the sides of the pan. One of the important things to remember is that the coating is only effective if it isn’t damaged in any way. Be sure that you don’t use metal tools with any nonstick pan, as it will damage the coating and potentially leave pieces in your finished baked good.
There are pros and cons to different types of pans on the market. The type of material used in the pan you select will make the pan easier to handle, or a little more difficult to handle.
- Stainless steel would be heavier than aluminum, but much more durable. Some materials are also more scratch resistant than others.
- The aluminum pans are lighter, but they can be damaged easily if you aren’t careful in the kitchen. Another reason why materials matter so much is that each pan will conduct and absorb heat differently. It is also important to remember that an oven is a very hot environment, so durability concerns can come into play when the materials are too flimsy to hold up to repeat baking.
- A stainless steel springform pan will hold heat differently than the aluminum variety. If you have other kitchen dishes that are cast-iron, you may wonder if it would make sense to get a cast iron springform pan. The pan would be too heavy to handle well between the prep area and the oven, making it difficult to use the pan frequently. It would also be difficult for the sides to come away from the bottom if the entire pan was made from cast iron.
Safety and materials go hand in hand as well, with most people calling for this style of bakeware to be BPA free. BPA stands for bisphenol A, and it is a very toxic material that used to be very widespread in bakeware. However, manufacturers have discovered how to still deliver quality bakeware without this destructive chemical that can cause serious health problems. Research has shown that this chemical can leak into food from containers and different dishes, so purchasing BPA-free pans is a good idea.
As the name implies, the power of the springform pan is in the quick release buckle that comes attached to every piece. A high quality pan from a well respected band will have special attention paid to the latch, because the strength of the latch determines whether or not you will have a pan that leaks.
4. Heat Tolerance
- Low temperature cooking is great when it comes to the stove, but the oven is where temperatures can climb higher. Will your pan be able to tolerate high temperatures? Not all pans are going to be created equally, and it’s important to ensure that you’re looking at how much heat each pan can tolerate.
- If you go above the maximum temperature, there is a risk that the pan will become warped and unable to handle your baking needs from that point. Stainless steel pans can take a lot of heat, especially when they are reinforced by an aluminum core. Most ovens can go up to 500 degrees. Even if you don’t plan to bake very many things at such a high temperature, you still want to look for a pan that can take a lot of heat.
5 Best Springform Pans In 2021: Detailed Reviews
This lovely piece of bakeware has a bonus: it can fit inside of the popular Instant Pot pressure cookers. The 6 and 8 quart-sized Instant Pots can handle this pan with ease; just make sure that you give your baking time to cool before handling.
This pan is also offered in multiple sizes, including 7, 8, and 9 inch varieties. The pan features a double layer non-stick coating, so greasing the pan before baking would be optional. This is a solid piece from a lesser known brand, but the value and limited warranty are still present.
- Double layer non-stick coating with no harmful chemicals that can leach into food
- Wide range of sizes
- Oven safe up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Flexible stainless-steel buckle
- Tight seal between bottom of pan and outer ring (fewer leaks)
- Cannot use metal utensils along with this pan
- Cannot go into dishwasher
Nordic Ware has a long history in the bakeware world, providing quality products to bakers across the board. Home cooks will appreciate the construction of this pan, from its leak-proof seal all the way up to the generous 9-inch size.
The springform buckle is solidly attached to the outer ring, providing sturdiness and ease of use. The generous size of this pan would accommodate specialty offerings, like a stacked ice cream cake.
- Large size accommodates a wide variety of dishes
- Nonstick coating
- Well established brand with high reputation
- Ideal for professionals and home cooks alike
- Must wash pan by hand
- No variety of colors
Unlike the other pans in this lineup, these are a group of pans that can be purchased as a set. What can you do with a set of mini springform pans? Well, making personalized baked items is much easier.
Instead of having to do a lot of slicing after the cake is cooled, you can simply go from pan to plate without a lot of extra steps. Wilton is well known for supplying culinary professionals with top notch bakeware for over 90 years, so this is a brand that has a steady track record of success.
- Perfect size for making single-serving meals
- Internationally-recognized brand with strong track record of quality bakeware
- Dishwasher safe
- True nonstick coating
- Multi-pack of mini springform pans
- Too small to bake larger pies and quiches with
Bakeware and the Cuisinart name go hand in hand, and have done so for decades. An interesting feature of this springform pan is that it comes in two different colors. The light color would be striking in virtually any kitchen. The buckle is reinforced for improved durability as well as easy and quick release.
- Multiple colors
- Generous 9 inch size
- Specialized coated interior for superior nonstick lining
- Dishwasher safe
- Steel construction with an aluminum blend
- Can be too large for some uses
If you’re looking for a smaller pan that can still hold up well to your ongoing baking needs, this is definitely a good option.
This pan is 7 inches in diameter, which makes for a decent addition to your bakeware collection and perfect for smaller groups. The spring-release mechanism is tightly attached for safety and the durability factor.
- Fits into Instant Pot pressure cookers
- Tight spring latch
- High resistance to heat
- BPA free production
- Must be handwashed instead of going into the dishwasher
- Surface can be easily scratched
- Not a well-known brand
Which Springform Pan Came Out On Top As The Best?
We looked at all of the features across all of the bakeware featured in this article, and came out with a clear winner: the Nordic Ware Leakproof Springform Pan!
It was a tough call between this pan and the Wilton set of 4 inch mini pans. While we love a personalized quiche all to ourselves, we think that bakers will appreciate having a large size to make food to really feed a crowd.
Special events call for going the extra mile, and this pan delivers. Even if a casual meal at home is at the top of your list, you can rely on the Nordic Ware line of springform pans. The company has been producing bakeware for a very long time, and there is a generous warranty if any defects should occur.
The fact that the Nordic Ware pan is also very dishwasher safe won us over in the end. While hand-washing is definitely recommended, sometimes after a long day of baking it’s great to just put everything in the dishwasher. The reinforced buckle is also a driving factor in our decision. Buying a springform pan is a great investment into your kitchen, and kitchen sets that can last a long time are preferable.
Purchasing new bakeware allows you to take your cooking and baking to new heights, bringing out new flavors to enjoy for a long time indeed.