Top 5 Best Paper Cutters 2021:
- Swingline Paper Trimmer, Guillotine Paper Cutter
- X-ACTO Heavy Duty Wood Guillotine Trimmer
- Jielisi 12-inch Paper Trimmer
- Fiskars 01-005452 Recycled Bypass Trimmer
- Fiskars SureCut Portable Trimmer with Recycled Cutline
Cutting paper manually can be a dangerous task, especially if you have a whole stack of papers. It takes a lot of time and you can start to lose concentration, which makes the risk of getting hurt even higher.
Not only is it dangerous but you will also lose precious time and effort to get it done. On top of that, achieving perfect precision is extremely difficult without proper equipment!
A paper cutter is the answer to all these problems! It is a handy device that will save you time and nerves and help you cut all the paper you need effortlessly in just a few minutes.
If you’re looking for a paper cutter and you’re not sure which one to get, you’re in the right place!
To help you and spare you from many hours of research, we’ve made this list of the best paper cutters out there!
So, to find out which paper cutter made the list, keep on reading!
Related: The Best Paper For Colored Pencils
5 Best Paper Cutters In 2021: Detailed Reviews
1. Swingline Paper Trimmer, Guillotine Paper Cutter – Our Top Pick
One of the best guillotine cutters on the market right now is this one by Swingline. It is a perfect combination of effective cutting and a reasonable price.
If you need fast cutting experience, you should always go with guillotine paper cutters. This one is more sturdy and reliable compared to others because of the movable arm that offers you manual control of cutting strength.
The base is made of plastic, which makes this paper cutter a portable device since it’s not very heavy. The sharp blade is made of stainless steel and you can use it to cut up to 10 sheets of paper at once.
The standard 12-inch cutting length makes this paper cutter ideal for both home and office use. You can always be sure you’ll have perfectly cut papers thanks to the amazing alignment grid that was designed for accuracy. To help you with measuring, there is a ruler that has a dual scale, so whether you prefer centimeters or inches, this paper cutter has it all.
When it comes to safety features, there is a guard rail that keeps your fingers safe while cutting and a blade latch hook that locks the cutting arm when not in use. The manufacturer claims this paper cutter is built to last, and you get a 10-year warranty. That speaks confidence if you ask us!
- Fast cutting of up to 10 papers
- Sharp stainless steel blade
- Great alignment grid
- Safety locks
- Stainless steel blade needs to be sharpened occasionally
2. X-ACTO Heavy Duty Wood Guillotine Trimmer – A Professional-Grade, Premium Choice
X-ACTO is one of the top brands in this industry well-known for the high-quality and craftsmanship they offer and the same can be said for this paper cutter.
It is a heavy-duty, reliable cutter with attractive wood construction. Some people might think that the wooden base is not very durable and sturdy, but on the contrary, it offers amazing durability and resistance. In combination with the revolutionary blade, the wood works perfectly to cut up to 15 sheets of paper at a time.
The exceptional blade is made of steel and features Perpetual Edge self-sharpening technology. In other words, you’ll be able to use this paper cutter for many years without the blade getting dull or worn out!
Cutting is even easier now thanks to the rubber feet and the oversized rubber handle. This means that the cutter is always stable and with the rubber handle you will not have any trouble slicing the blade down in perfect motion.
To help you with measurements and angles, there is an adjustable guide, so you can be sure you’ll never make wrong cuts. It also comes in four sizes, so you can choose the cutting length which suits you the best.
Not only is this cutter easy to use, but it’s also safe. The safety latch, the scales on the wood, and the safety guard make this paper cutter an extremely safe tool.
- Combination of outstanding wood base and powerful blade
- The blade is self-sharpening
- Cuts up to 15 sheets of paper
- Safe to use
- The price
3. Fiskars 01-005452 Recycled Bypass Trimmer – Lightweight, Yet Heavy-Duty Cutter
Fiskars is one of the top brands when it comes to office tools. This Recycled Bypass Trimmer is one of the varieties of paper cutters they offer.
This particular model made this list because it’s a great option if you need a heavy-duty paper cutter that has a reasonable price. It is both reliable and convenient. The self-sharpening blades and the lightweight design make it a handy tool that will be a great addition to your office or home.
Not only are the blades self-sharpening and durable, but they are also strong enough to cut through 10 sheets of paper effortlessly. With the Fiskars paper cutter, you will never have to worry about maintenance. The name of the model says it all – The Recycled Bypass refers to the fact that the trimmer base is made of 100 percent post-consumer recycled resin.
This is a great cutter for heavy use, and it can cut up to 10 sheets of paper at a time. With a standard 12 inches cutting length, you can use it for flyers, handouts, invitations and other materials that are heavier than paper.
Furthermore, this paper cutter is easy and safe to use. It comes with some safety features like the paper clamp, the smudge guard, and the non-skid rubber feet that provide stability.
All this makes it a practical device with outstanding features, that’s safe and easy to use, and it’s budget-friendly!
- Self-maintaining blades
- Perfect for heavy-duty use
- Compact design
- Made of recycled materials
- A bit difficult to line up the paper
4. Jielisi 12-inch Paper Trimmer – Top-Notch Cutting Precision
Jielisi Paper Trimmer is a good choice if you’re looking for paper cuts with exceptional design and efficiency.
It was not designed only to have a nice appearance, but also to make cutting comfortable and perfectly accurate. With the measuring guides and the ruler, you’ll have full control for mistake-free cutting. Depending on your needs, you can use this device to cut in different angles, from 45°to 90°.
With the ability to cut up to 12 papers at once, you can be sure you’ll always have fast and effective cutting experience. The high-quality materials used to make this cutter are a mix of plastic and alloy that provide excellent resistance!
The Jielisi sliding cutter comes with a Patented Track System, a technology that provides extreme precision for each cut. You can use this device not only for paper but also for photos, cardboards, and many other materials. No matter what material you decide to cut, you can be sure that the Jielisi Paper Trimmer will get the job done.
The 12 inches cutting blade makes this cutter perfect for A4 and A5 paper sizes. This means it will be a great addition to your home or your office, and the sleek black design won’t disrupt the room’s aesthetic. On top of all this, it’s a lightweight device that’s easy to transport so you can easily move it when necessary!
- Cuts up to 12 papers at once
- A lightweight, portable device
- Exceptional precision
- Doesn’t have a good-grip cutting arm
5. Fiskars SureCut Portable Trimmer with Recycled Cutline – Unmatched Accuracy
A paper cutter that offers good value for money is this Fiskars SureCut Portable Trimmer. It is a lightweight, compact device that provides extreme precision. Don’t let the size of it fool you – the Fiskars SureCut trimmer will go the distance.
The small design actually makes the whole cutting process a more comfortable experience. It also means you can carry this device with you effortlessly whenever you need to.
When we say that this tool has unmatched accuracy, we mean it. Thanks to the Sure Cut indicator for the cut line, wrong cuts are reduced by 50 percent!
On top of that, it also has a Triple Track System that keeps the blade tight for straighter cuts. With the printed scale on the table grid, you can easily adjust the measurements according to your needs. There is also a swing-out arm that boosts length measuring to 14 ¼ inches!
For even safer and easier cutting, this cutter has an ergonomic handle and rubberized feet. This is an important feature to avoid getting hurt and for extreme precision where stability is key.
With Fiskars SureCut you’ll be able to cut up to 7 sheets of paper at once. It’s perfect for clean cuts and it offers great versatility, so you can use it for different office, school, or craft projects. The cutting length is 12 inches, which is perfect for A4 and smaller paper sizes.
- Sure Cut indicator for perfect precision
- Easy and safe to use
- Lightweight and portable
- Not great for heavy-duty projects
Things You Should Consider Before Buying A Paper Cutter
There are many factors you should think about before choosing the right paper cutter. Think about your needs and what you will use it for. For example, if you wish to make cards at home, you should get a paper cutter that’s the best for card making. On the other hand, if you need it for commercial purposes, a heavy-duty paper cutter would be a better choice for you.
In addition to purpose, there are some other important things to consider like type, size…
1. Type Of Blade
There are several different types of paper cutters and each one has a purpose depending on its construction. The two most common types are rotary trimmer and guillotine trimmer.
- The rotary trimmer is also known as the sliding trimmer because it has a blade located in the rail that goes back and forth to cut paper. The rotary cutter is as strong as other types, and it has a pre-set, smooth, immovable mechanism that provides extreme precision.
- The guillotine trimmer is one of the most popular types because it has a mechanism that allows you to cut more than one paper sheet at a time. To maneuver this device, all you have to do is put down your paper or a stack of papers on the plain surface of the cutter. The guillotine-like blade is attached to an arm that’s movable up and down. This motion provides strength and therefore allows you to cut more papers at once.
For large, heavy workloads, the better option would be a guillotine trimmer, since it offers the possibility of increasing the cutting strength manually. If you are going to be working with photos, cards, or small sheets of paper, then you want the precise cuts that come with a rotary trimmer.
2. Safety Features
Since we are talking about paper cutters that have sharp blades, it’s important to look at all the safety features that they come with.
- Some of the safety measurements that paper cutters offer are a transparent surface to give you more visibility while cutting, a lock-in hatch for the guillotine, finger guard, guard rails, safety springs, rubber feet…
- These are all critical features if many people are going to use one paper cutter or if children will be around it often.
- So, to avoid any possible dangers, always check what kind of safety measurements a paper cutter offers before you buy it!
3. Blade Material
It’s important that the blade on a paper cutter is made of high-quality materials that are strong and will last a long time. The two most common materials used for paper cutter blades are stainless steel and titanium.
- Stainless steel offers the best quality for a cheap price. It is a durable material, but you will have to sharpen it from time to time since it tends to get dull.
- Titanium is undoubtedly the most powerful material for a paper cutter blade. And, contrary to stainless steel, it will not get dull since it’s usually self-sharpening.
Every paper cutter comes with a preselected size. The smallest ones are 10 inches and some of the biggest paper cutters go up to 20 inches. Standard size for most paper cutters is 12 inches and this is enough for A4-B5 paper sizes.
- If you need a paper cutter for personal needs, we recommend that you get anything between 12 and 15 inches. This is big enough to cover all your needs.
- However, if you need it for commercial use, it’s always better to get a larger, heavy-duty paper cutter.
How To Use A Paper Cutter
Whatever type of paper cutter you decide to get, it’s important to have it fixed, steady and stable before you start cutting.
The first thing you need to do is unlock any safety feature you have on your paper cutter, like a hatch, spring or a pressure block on the blade.
Then put the paper or other material you wish to cut inside the cutting platform. If the paper cutter allows you, add as many sheets of paper as you need.
Next, measure the inches and angles you want to cut using a ruler or guide. Now fix the sheets of paper with a clamp, alignment grid or holder, whatever your paper cutter has.
After that, grab the cutting arm and slide or push down. For most effective cutting, make sure that the blade goes slowly through the paper.
This is basically all you need to do. Always make sure that all the safety locks and features are in place when you finish cutting to avoid any future accidents.
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
Choosing only five paper cutters for this list was not an easy task, but after many hours of research and careful consideration, we are confident to say that these are our top picks when it comes to paper cutters.
Best Overall: Swingline Paper Trimmer, Guillotine Paper Cutter
- You can not go wrong with this paper cutter by Swingline. It is a cutter with amazing functionalities, safety features, and design. It cuts up to 10 sheets of paper effortlessly and with great precision. On top of that, it’s budget-friendly!
Premium Pick: X-ACTO Heavy Duty Wood Guillotine Trimmer
- This is a heavy-duty, reliable cutter with strong wood construction and an exceptional, self-sharpening blade that can cut up to 15 papers at once. If money is not an issue for you, you should seriously think about getting this high-quality, durable tool!
Best Multipurpose Choice: Jielisi 12 inch Paper Trimmer
- No matter what material you choose to cut, this paper cutter by Jielici will get the job done. You can use it for photos, cards, invitations, flyers and so on. It is an amazing tool that offers great precision and efficiency and it’s also very compact and easy to carry everywhere!