Top 5 Best Heat Guns 2021:
- Porter-Cable 1500G Heat Gun
- Genesis GHG1500A Heat Gun
- Dewalt D26960K Heat Gun
- SEEKONE Heat Gun
- Milwaukee 2688-20 Heat Gun
Although your first association when you hear “heat gun” may be a futuristic laser weapon from a video game, it is actually one of the most useful tools that you can buy. And it does not cause any injuries.
By the end of this article, you’ll find the best heat gun for you.
If you are not completely familiar with this tool and cannot picture what exactly it looks like, we’d describe it as somewhere between a hairdryer (as it is significantly hotter), and a torch (as there is no flame).
A friendly tip here: “Flameless” does not mean “cannot cause flame”. We’re talking about extremely high temperatures here, and you should always take the necessary precautions to avoid any flammable materials, such as sawdust, paper, etc. (and even your hair).
What makes it so useful?
With a heat gun, you can do anything that requires a stream of hot (and we mean really hot) air.
It can be used for a variety of house repairs and works, such as:
- Paint removal (and drying)
- Removing adhesive tapes
- Thawing pipes and locks
- Gift wrapping
- Drying out wood
- Cell phone repair
We could have listed out much more possible uses of the heat gun, but we noticed that the list was getting too long and that we’d proved the point about why you should buy it.
Yeah, we’ve all regretted putting up a poster with that strong adhesive tape…
But with a heat gun, you’ll be able to remove it without damaging your walls and paint.
Now that you know how useful this tool is, stay with us and learn more about it.
Factors To Consider When Buying A Heat Gun
With so many versatile tools for your house and DIY projects vying for your attention, it is not always easy to choose which of them you need, let alone which model.
So, if you decided that you need a heat gun (and let’s face it: you DO), there is one more step before actually making a purchase.
You need to be aware of what options are out there, and be able to determine which one is the most suitable for you, based on a couple of factors.
There are two basic types of heat guns, depending on the kind of air that they emit:
- Infrared heat guns – this type of heat gun emits the so-called “infrared air” instead of the regular hot air. While they are often cheaper, and the air is claimed to be less harmful to the environment, they cannot reach temperatures as high as other heat guns. Usually, they can go up to 500 °C (923 °F).
- Regular heat guns – as suggested, they emit the regular hot air, and the temperature can go much higher (around 1000 °C/1832 °F), thanks to the ceramic elements that these heat guns contain. For this reason, being able to achieve higher temperatures, our top 5 picks belong exclusively to this category.
- This distinction is as simple as it sounds – there are corded and cordless options.
- I’m sure that you understand what each one brings.
- Still, apart from the convenience that comes with cordless heat guns, we must admit that if we consider the current state of the marketplace, better heat guns feature corded connectivity.
- The power of your heat gun will stem from two factors – wattage and temperature.
- For the first criterion, just follow the rule: the higher the wattage, the higher the power of the heat gun.
- They usually range from 1000 to 2000W, and we’re going to present to you how our picks rank.
- When it comes to the temperature that heat guns can reach, they can vary from around 100 to 1200 ° F.
- Of course, we will aim at those that can score higher, keeping in mind some additional features (such as adjustable temperature settings).
Heat guns are mostly modified by nozzles, which serve to orient your device toward a particular purpose once attached (e.g., for a more precise flow of the air, or particular materials).
The most common types of nozzles are:
- Reflector nozzles – they serve to spread the hot air to a broader surface, so they are suitable for bending and soldering
- Reducing nozzles – they are our favorite attachments and a must for any gun heat, as they concentrate the hot air on a particular part, allowing you to achieve precision. They range in diameters but are usually not larger than 10 mm. Reducing nozzles have two additional extensions:
- Welding nozzles that can be attached to reducing nozzles in order to achieve ultimate precision for welding purposes (e.g., with cables)
- Slot nozzles, attached to reducing nozzles when one wants to weld PVC coated stuff (e.g., with tarts)
- Surface (sometimes known as deflector) nozzles – contrary to the previous type, these nozzles further spread the air onto a larger surface, making them good for larger projects (such as walls and floors)
- Glass nozzle – pretty much self-explanatory, these nozzles serve as an extra safety measure when you operate with things made from glass (eg., windows)
Of course, we’ll examine what nozzles and additional accessories you will get with each purchase and whether there are some useful kits that we can recommend for a particular heat gun.
As always, we just want to make sure that you get the best possible deal!
Which brings us to the final factor:
For its range of uses, a heat gun can be considered an inexpensive item; however, as with everything, there are some things to be considered.
- You want to make sure that your heat gun is durable, won’t make any mess, and above all, that it’s useful for a great variety of your housework duties.
- Hence, you should not go out and buy the cheapest option, but rather invest some money to buy an excellent tool that will make your life easier.
- In other words, if you’re in the market to find the best heat gun that won’t cost you too much but offers excellent specs and performance, you’ve come to the right place.
All of our top 5 products for today are among the best-reviewed and best-selling options on the market. And for a good reason.
After our careful tests and projects, we can assure you that these top guns produce great results.
See Also: The Best Staple Guns
5 Best Heat Guns In 2021: Detailed Reviews
So, we tested each heat gun against the above criteria, and the models that we recommend here are designed to serve you in all of the housework pursuits.
But which one is the best one?
Stay and read!
We’re starting off strong, with a heat gun that may be the best choice for most of you.
The PC1500G is an incredibly light (2 lbs/0.9 kg), versatile tool that showed great in our tests. All the features that we’re going to present to you were just as good as you can imagine.
Firstly, its power is amazing with the 1500W-motor, and what is more, this heat gun will allow you to completely customize the temperature that you need.
You can do so by operating the temperature control dial, ranging from around 100 to 1100 °F, which will do for all types of projects, from removing the adhesive tape to removing the paint on the wall.
It is corded, and the cord is 6 ft (1.8 m) long, which is pretty enough. You can plug it in and work in another room, or outside in the garden!
In addition to controlling how hot the air is, you can use the same dial to select one of the two speed modes (high/low) that this machine offers.
A rare feature at this price is the built-in base that allows you to leave the gun and work hands-free.
Finally, there are two excellent accessories that I suggest purchasing with this heat gun, at an excellent deal:
- The Bluetooth speakers, which enable you to listen to your favorite tunes while working (and reduce the noise of the heat gun, though this one is really quiet)
- The LED area light, which doubles the productivity
- Less noisy than other heat guns
- An excellent price
- A stand to leave the tool on
- A long cable
- Adjustable fan speed
- The dial is awkwardly placed. Apart from that, we couldn’t find any
The next heat gun, Genesis GHG1500A, is our top choice among the beginner heat guns.
With 1500/750W power settings, you can do anything that you want with this lightweight, portable heat source.
There are two temperature settings – 572 and 1000 °F. We encountered some problems here related to the highest temperature setting, but with our tips, you will be able to use it trouble-free.
Namely, this heat gun works flawlessly with low temperatures, and you will be amazed by its speed and efficiency. However, when it comes to higher temperatures, we think that you should keep some tips in mind so that it doesn’t overheat:
- Use the highest temperature for short periods of time, or with breaks-in between;
- When you’re turning it off, first switch to a lower temperature, and then turn it off completely
No worries; it won’t fail you if you pay attention to these two things.
What adds to the value of this purchase is that you get 4 nozzles (2 deflector, a reflector, and a reduction nozzle).
- 2-year warranty
- The cheapest on the list
- Weighs only 2 lbs/0.9 kg
- A long cord,
- Excellent for beginners
- Easy to use
- Quality accessories included
- Can get too hot with the highest temperature settings
- There is no stand, instead you have to turn it on its back to let it cool
Dewalt products always have high performance and utility scores, and this is also the case with their D26960K heat gun.
This is a heavy-duty tool that will serve you for all the professional tasks. Of course, it can also perform all the housework duties, but keep in mind that it is much, much more powerful than that.
Its temperature can be manually adjusted at every 50 degrees on the range from 150-1100 °F, which is a nice touch, as the settings are usually pre-determined. Moreover, you can do so on the LED Display, which makes this heat gun unique.
Another upside is that your safety level is maximized with this heat gun. It features the built-in overload protection that turns it off automatically.
Apart from these killer-features, it also contains a hang-ring for easier storage and the kickstand support for its maximum stability.
- Highly customizable
- Sits comfortably in your hand due to its ergonomic design
- Safety measures
- Durable cord
- Comes with accessories
- It is heavy, but this is expected with heavy-duty machines
- A bit pricey
Next up is another heavy-duty performer that comes at a significantly lower price than the previous one.
But does it deliver equally good performance?
The short answer is: YES, it does!
It has everything you need, and all at the right price.
At 1600W of power, you can choose between two basic modes (I, around 1200 °F, and II, around 842 °F), but then you can customize them thanks to a handy dial to anywhere from 120 °F to the maximum of 1200.
You can also turn the dial counterclockwise to cool the gun, and this is something that we haven’t encountered with most of the other heat guns.
The overload protection is also included so that your experience is completely safe, and that any damage to the device is prevented.
And it also comes with 4 nozzles (a deflector, reflector, and two reducing)!
It sounds too good to be true, but it is true.
- Attractive design
- Comes with accessories
- A real bargain for the price
Finally, we’ve decided to include the best option if you’re a fan of cordless heat guns.
Due to its cordless capability, it is the most compact on the list, and it is powered by the Xc 5.0 battery. With this purchase, you will get the battery and the charger.
Although there are many positive sides to this tool, there is also a great flaw: the run-time on this battery is only around 19 minutes.
However, considering its efficiency, 19 minutes should be enough for most of your tasks, although the more complex ones would perhaps require charging the heat gun in between.
You can solve this by buying an 8.0 battery or one with even larger power capacity – or you can buy two 5.0 and use them interchangeably.
All in all, it’s not that big of a deal, considering that it doesn’t have a cord and is completely mobile.
Our favorite two features are probably the temperature management system that adds to the overall safety and a built-in hang hook for hands-free use.
- It heats up within seconds
- Doesn’t require a power outlet
- Run-time might be too short for some users
Bringing The Discussion To A Conclusion: The Best Heat Gun
Do you want efficiency, portability, power, and safety?
SEEKONE Heat Gun is the way to go.
This heat gun has it all: adjustable temperature settings, a lot of power, safety features, and four accessories.
Plus, it sells at a more reasonable price than all the other options, if we consider what it has to offer in return.
You will be able to rely on it to help you with all of your professional projects and solve all the frustrating problems.
To be fair, if you’re looking for a heat gun that is a little less professional and more oriented towards home-use, you should opt for Porter-Cable Heat Gun.
It performs consistently across all fields, and above all, it’s extremely affordable.