Top 5 Best Case Trimmers 2021:
- Little Crow Gunworks LLC World’s Finest Trimmer
- Hornady Cam-Lock Trimmer 050140
- Lyman Universal Trimmer with 9 Pilot Multi-Pack Trims .17 Cal to .458 Cal
- Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Trim and Prep System
- RCBS Trim Pro-2 .338 Lapua Mag 90366 Case Trimmer Kit
When you fire a bullet, a small explosion occurs inside the shell. As a result, the shell gets either elongated or dented. What can you do to make such shells as good as new?
You must trim and condition the cartridges. Of course, you’ll need the right tool for the job – the best case trimmer you can buy.
If you are regularly shooting at a range, owning a case, a trimmer can help you save a lot of money. You will be able to pick up the empty shells scattered around the scope and trim them up for your next reloading.
In this way, you will not have to buy fresh ammunition all the time, especially if you own a reloading press kit too. We are sure you can think of some better ways to spend that money!
There is more good news – modern case trimmers are fully adjustable and can thus trim any caliber shells. So what are we waiting for? Let’s find you one!
5 Best Case Trimmers In 2021: Detailed Reviews
1. Lyman Universal Trimmer with 9 Pilot Multi-Pack Trims .17 Cal to .458 Cal – Lightweight & versatile
Lyman Universal Trimmer is just what its name suggests – a versatile tool fitted with Lyman’s unique Universal Chuckhead that can trim any case from .17 up to .458 caliber. It features a standard shell holder and nine pilots that are most commonly used in cutting cases of rifles and pistols (22cal, 24cal, 27cal, 30cal, 9mm, 28cal, 35cal, 44cal, and 45cal). You do not need to pay extra for collets.
This Lyman trimmer offers both coarse and fine adjustments up to one thousand of an inch while an adjusting ring enables you to easily dial and select the length in accordance with your trimming needs. Weighing only 2.2 pounds, it is easy to carry with you.
This versatile manual trimmer is quite basic, but that makes it easy to operate too. You simply set the trimming lenght of your case and get the job done. If you want to do it faster, or you simply want to upgrade this machine, you can add the power adapter and trim up to 250 cases per hour! Unfortunately, this power adapter is not included, and you will have to buy it separately at an additional cost. It is a good investment, though, as using this case trimmer requires quite a bit of strength and force.
- Easy to use and adjustable
- Reasonably priced
- Features both coarse and fine adjustments
- Patented Lyman Universal Chuckhead system to trim calibers from .17 up to .458
- No need to buy pricey collets
- Comes with nine pilots loaded on its base
- The power adapter is not included and has to be bought separately
2. Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Trim and Prep System – Durable & powered by electricity
Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Trim and Prep System allows you to do many things, and that alone makes it one of the best on the market. You can use it to trim and chamfer all sorts of cartridges from .17 Remington to .460 Weatherby. Since it is powered by electricity, trimming and chamfering goes easy and quickly without too much effort on your part. There is no need to change the shell holders, either.
Being made from aluminum and steel components, this tool is built to last. Ultra-hard and durable HSS cutters that remain sharp even after thousands of trimmings add to the overall performance and life span of this Frankford case trimmer. Moreover, the highlight of the Frankford Arsenal is its
As its name suggests, this system comes with a complete arsenal. All you can ever need is already attached to the unit, and that means that you will receive a trimmer, chamfer, deburr tool, six different-size case shoulder bushings, three different-size case body collets, and large and small primer pocket cleaners.
- Powered by electricity
- Built-in storage box packed with everything you need
- Adjustable collet system adapts to all cases with a shoulder
- Indexes cases on the shoulder for speed and precision
- No need for shell holders
- Three output shafts
- Ultra-hard HSS cutters stay sharp for a very long time
- Tough and ruggedly made.
- Quiet operation
- One year limited warranty
- A bit wobbly
3. Hornady Cam-Lock Trimmer 050140 – Easy to use manual trimmer that works with almost any caliber
Hornady Cam-Lock 050140 cutter is one of the easiest manual trimmers to use. It is also quite durable and precise, and these qualities have earned it a spot on our review list. This model can work with almost all cases of up to 50 caliber. It comes equipped with seven most commonly used pilot sizes (22 cal, 6mm, 270 cal, 7mm, 30 cal, 38 cal, and 45 cal).
If you need extra stability, you can easily bolt this handy tool to your workbench. Useful additional features such as a cam-lock trimmer and pre-set case lengths guarantee consistency and precision as well. The cam-lock not only keeps the case secured on the shell holder but also makes removing the case easier.
A taller frame gives you more space to work on while an ergonomic handle makes the long trimming processes more bearable. You can use all the standard Hornady shell holders, and it would be best to use a Hornady reloading press as well. Both the cutter head and spindle are adjustable, but the adjustment nut is quite hard to loosen, and it thus might be a bit tricky to change calibers.
- Micro Adjust cutter allows .001″ changes
- Stable and comfortable to use
- Replaceable cutting head
- Trims cases up to 50 caliber
- Both the cutter head and the spindle can be adjusted
- A cam-lock to lock the case on the shell holder
- Includes seven different pilot sizes
- The cutting head is made of ultra-hard tool steel
- Uses only Hornady shell holders
- The spindle and head cutter adjustments are too coarse, and that can lead to inexact measurements
4. RCBS Trim Pro-2 .338 Lapua Mag 90366 Case Trimmer Kit – Precise tool with a spring-loaded shell holder
Rcbs Trim Pro-2 case trimmer is designed with precision in mind. Its greatest asset is the spring-loaded shell holder that makes the reloading process a lot easier. When the case aligns with the pilot and the cutter, the RCBS trimmer locks it down. The process is so straightforward that you won’t even need the included manual.
For greater stability and better results, it is recommended that you mount this case trimmer on a workbench. You can adjust the bushes at .00″ micrometer markings, and with the proper configuration, you’ll have the same length of the case every time you trim. It will take you only about a minute or so to set the right lenght for a specific caliber.
The kit includes nine most popular pilots of different calibers, and you’ll need to buy additional ones only if you work with unusual case size. All the components are made from quality materials. On the downside, bolts loosen up over time due to vibrations, and you have to tighten them up from time to time. Even though you can certainly find cheaper units with similar characteristics, we still believe this offers excellent quality and price ratio.
- Made of highest-quality materials
- Easy to use
- Very precise
- Can be adjusted to 00” micrometers
- The spring-loaded shell holder keeps the case well-secured for an easier trimming
- The kit includes nine pilots for the most popular calibers
- Excellent quality and price ratio
- The bolts on the unit loosen up over time and need to be tightened up
5. Little Crow Gunworks LLC World’s Finest Trimmer – A precision tool made to last you a lifetime
The Little Crow Gunworks LLC World’s Finest Trimmer, also know as WFT is a highly precise trimmer designed to last. It is a compact tool that requires a power source to operate. You can pair it up with either a cordless or electric drill – we bet you have one of these two in your tool arsenal.
There is no learning curve required, as this trimmer is quite straightforward when it comes to setting it up and using it. Simply adjust it to your current needs, load it into your drill, and start feeding the cases you want to trim. It is completely adjustable so you can get any case length you want. You’ll be able to trim as much as ten cases in only a minute, and that makes this trimmer one of the fastest on the market.
The cutters are razor-sharp, and being paired up with the incorporated sealed ball bearing, they will deliver some of the smoothest cuts you have ever seen! The Little Crow Gunworks LLC World’s Finest Trimmer does not use pilots for trimming, and even though this is a bit unusual, do not worry; the case will be well-supported by the shoulder and body of the case.
- Durable, precise tool
- Extremely easy to use
- Powered by a cordless or electric drill
- Razor-sharp cutters
- Speedy performance- trims up to 10 cases per minute
- Does not require pilots for trimming
- Not the best option for long-range precision shooting
How To Find The Best Case Trimmer On The Market
Case trimmer manufacturers always profess only the positive sides of their products, so you need to think twice before you trust their advertisements. Moreover, we are sure that only a few case trimmers available in the market would be able to satisfy all your needs. So how can you tell which ones deserve your attention?
For a start, here are the questions you should try to answer before you open your wallet:
Is The Case Trimmer You Plan To Buy Easy To Use?
- The fewer adjustments you need to make before you start trimming, the sooner you’ll be able to get back to shooting. Therefore, choose a case trimmer that is not overly complicated to use. The best case trimmer is easy to set up, and that means that it can be clamped on the worktable quickly and effortlessly to allow for faster and more stable trimming.
Is It Durable?
- You need to have your case trimmer with you whenever you are out on the shooting range. Therefore, besides being portable, trimmers should be made from high-quality, durable parts and components so that they can withstand all the hardship you inevitably have to put them through.
Is The Design Important?
- A shooting range is no fashion runway, but the design of a case trimmer still matters. There is only one rule to follow: Less is more. What does this mean? It means that you should choose a case trimmer with a simple design for easier use and more time for shooting.
See Also: The Best Tap And Die Set
A Short Case Trimmer Buying Guide
We have gathered some useful tips and guidelines from the experts too. Here are some things you need to consider before you go out shopping for a case trimmer:
1. Versatile Shell Holder
- Shop only for trimmers with versatile shell holders. The shell holder is a part of a trimmer that is responsible for holding the shell during the trimming process. If you buy a trimmer with an adjustable shell holder, you will be able to trim the cartridges of various calibers.
- Case trimmers equipped with polishers offer a few additional perks. Namely, polishers help remove stuck up debris from the mouth of the cartridge to the internal chamber and thus clean out the shell. In this way, they improve the accuracy of a bullet and prolong the life of your cartridges.
3. Additional Features
- We know that we have recommended a case trimmer with a simple design for easier use. Still, some additional features can make your life easier and improve your shooting experience. A bigger electric-powered case trimmer might not be light and ultra-portable, but it usually comes equipped with numerous useful tools such as an adjustable trimmer, a deburring tool, and a smoother. Many case trimmers come with practical accessories neatly organized right on the machine’s holder too.
All the case trimmers on our Top 5 list promise a lot. They are reliable and on the affordable side. But if you want the best possible mileage, go for the Little Crow Gunworks LLC World’s Finest Trimmer–
Why? Well, it is built to last and is sure to go a long way while ensuring long-lasting, sharp cutting work as well. Moreover, it can trim cases of all calibers without any collets or pilots to do the job – all you need is a drill!
If you prefer a manual trimmer and a more traditional approach, go for Hornady Cam-Lock Trimmer 050140. This tool features a Micro Adjust cutter that allows .001″ changes without even moving the case. It is super-easy to use and can go with almost any caliber. It will help you build some muscles too!
Honestly, there are no wrong choices if you stick to our Top 5 list. Therefore, choose your case trimmer and buy it ASAP so that you can start gathering up your empty shells, trimming them, and saving your hard-earned money for something more important such as cold beer after a long shooting session!