Top 5 Best Brushes For Golden Retriever 2023:
- SAFARI Coastal Pin And Bristle Combo Dog Brush
- GoPets De-Matting Comb
- Hertzko Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush
- SAFARI Coastal Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush for Dogs
- PawsPamper Extra Wide Undercoat Rake
If you own a golden retriever, you know how gentle, loving, and dedicated these creatures are. The least you can do is reciprocate their love and loyalty by caring for them properly.
Besides, as a dog owner, you have a duty to keep your pet healthy and happy. There are many ways to do that – feed them, take them for a walk every few hours, and groom them regularly.
Regular grooming is a must, especially now that the shedding season is right around the corner. There is no better way to keep your Golden Retriever’s double-coat sleek. After all, this breed requires a lot of grooming work and responsibility.
Moreover, by grooming your pet, you’ll reduce the amount of loose dog hair in your home, and that means less vacuuming and cleaning too!
Of course, you will need the right equipment to cut the problem at its source i.e., your furry friend. So, what is the best brush to keep your Golden Retriever’s shedding under control?
Finding the best brush for the golden retriever is not an easy task as there are many products on the market today. Do not worry, though, once you finish reading this post, you will know exactly which one to choose and keep your dog happy, healthy, and comfortable.
Let’s dive in!
5 Best Brushes For Golden Retriever In 2023: Detailed Reviews
1. SAFARI Coastal Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush for Dogs – Maximum-results with minimal effort
SAFARI Coastal Self-cleaning slicker brush is an affordable brush recommended for breeds with short and medium hair, golden retrievers included. It features retracting stainless steel pins that allow for super-easy clean-up once you are done grooming your furry friend.
It is an ideal choice for daily care as it gently removes loose hair, mats, and tangles from your dog’s coat. You do not need to apply any pressure whatsoever, just brush the fur in the direction of hair growth. The ergonomic design and comfort-grip handle guarantee stress-free experience while the non-slip surface makes the grooming process safe.
This slicker brush helps evenly distribute the natural oils of your pet’s skin over its coat too. If you use it regularly, you’ll reduce the amount of shed hair all-around your home.
- Excellent price
- Retracting, stainless steel pins
- Maximum grooming results with minimal efforts invested
- Gently removes dead hair, mats, and tangles
- Easy clean-up
- Reduces the amount of shed hair in your home.
- It is not very efficient at removing mats from long hair and is thus best used in combination with a de-matting tool
2. GoPets De-Matting Comb – A double-sided professional-grade grooming rake for dogs
If you need a de-matting tool to use in combination with the aforementioned Safari slicker brush, you should definitely consider the GoPets De-Matting comb. It will help eradicate all the remaining mats and tangles. Moreover, this double-sided piece of grooming equipment doubles as a de-shedding tool.
Thanks to the sharpened teeth, the tugging is minimal and your pet should feel comfortable during the grooming process. The blades cut through mats so no pulling is needed. Even if your golden retriever has sensitive skin, it should not feel any discomfort as the end is rounded. The non-slip gel handle guarantees safety and comfort at all times!
The price might seem a bit higher but is still quite reasonable, especially if you consider that this is a two-in-one product of professional quality. It is an excellent tool to maintain your golden retriever’s undercoat.
- Double-sided – combines de-matting and de-shedding features
- Sharpened teeth reduce tugging
- Rounded ends suitable for sensitive skin
- Blades cut through tangles
- Minimal pulling and tugging, maximum comfort for your pet
- Comfy non-slip gel handle
- A bit higher price
- The handle sometimes feels sticky
3. PawsPamper Extra Wide Undercoat Rake – Essential tool for the upkeep of your dog’s undercoat
This PawsPamper Extra Wide undercoat rake is an ideal tool to tame your golden retriever’s undercoat. It is essential for the weekly care regime of your dog as it will reduce the shedding and eliminate the need to shave it and compromise its natural capacity to self-regulate body temperature.
It is suitable for even the most sensitive skin, unlike many other de-matting tools. It is all thanks to the stainless steel teeth blades with the rounded blade edges. Your retriever is sure to enjoy the grooming process. After all, this tool is designed with double-coated breeds in mind.
The smooth wooden handle not only adds to the beautiful craftsmanship of this product but also allows for a comfortable grip. This rake will remove all loose hair, and work through any knot without unpleasant pulling. It is on the higher end of the price range but thanks to the no question asked refund policy you risk nothing to try it out!
- Suitable for thick undercoats and sensitive skin
- Works through knots and helps create the “Show Quality” look
- Ideal for double-coated dogs, such as retrievers
- No questions asked refund policy
- Premium craftsmanship
- Not suitable for thin hair
4. Hertzko Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush – Gentle and effective grooming tool designed for double-coated dogs
If you do not get attracted by the pop of color, you’ll surely be lured by the quality and efficiency of the Hertzko Self-Cleaning slicker brush. It is a best-seller among grooming tools for a good reason. Most of all, it is both gentle and effective on double-coated breeds such as golden retrievers.
You’ll be pleased to know that its bent wires are very gentle on the dog’s skin, so even the pets with sensitive skin should not feel any discomfort. You will feel comfortable throughout the grooming process as well, thanks to the comfort grip, anti-slip handle. The self-cleaning feature is a bonus for your utmost convenience.
Even though the fine wires are gentle, they still reach deep into the dog’s coat and remove dead hair, mats, tangles, dirt, and dander. Your goldy’s fur will be soft and shiny, especially if you use this brush daily.
- Comfort-grip handle prevents wrist strain
- An excellent choice for daily care
- Pins reach deep into the coat
- No skin irritations
- Made of durable, high-quality materials
- Boosts blood circulation
- The brush head (12.7 x 6.9 cm) might feel a bit small for a big golden retriever
- More expensive than the majority of slicker brushes
5. SAFARI Coastal Pin And Bristle Combo Dog Brush – Double-sided brush for complete daily upkeep grooming
The SAFARI Coastal Pin and Bristle Combo dog brush combines, as its name clearly states, two essential grooming tools in one. The combination of pin and bristle brush enables you to keep your dog’s coat shiny, smooth, and healthy, as well as reduce shedding. Your home will be cleaner too.
The ergonomic comfort grip handle reduces wrist strain making your daily grooming process more manageable. The pin side of the brush does an excellent job of removing dirt and loose hair. The bristle side helps at evenly distributing the natural oils of your dog’s skin all over its coat.
The price is more than fair for a two-in-one product. The only complaint we have is that the bristle side feels too soft for retrievers. You need to combine it with a de-matting and de-shedding tool from time to time as well.
- Fair price
- Ideal for daily upkeep grooming
- Rounded pins remove loose hair and dirt gently
- Bristles distribute the natural oils evenly
- Comfortable to use
- You need to use a de-matting tool from time to time
What To Consider When Buying The Best Brush For Golden Retriever
Golden retrievers are gentle and intelligent dogs, but they are fun-loving and proactive as well. As a result, their flowing golden coat of soft fur is bound to get tangled and dirty. This is where you come in – your duty is to provide regular grooming and keep your pet’s coat beautiful.
As we have already established, you cannot help your beloved dog look sleek and stay healthy if you do not have the right tools! The brush you choose will affect both the duration and the quality of your grooming sessions. How can you pick the best one?
Here are the things you need to consider:
1. Coat Length
Not all golden retrievers have the same coat length. Their coats range from medium to medium-long. There are some exceptions that have unusually long fur or quite a short one. You need to consider the coat length when choosing the size of your brush. The longer the fur, the larger should the brush you buy be.
2. Skin Condition
Your golden retriever might have a rash or some bumps on its skin. It can also have overly dry skin or be prone to skin allergies. You should consider this when selecting a brush and make sure that the bristles are soft enough not to hurt your dog’s skin.
3. Coat Condition
In the season of heavy shedding, you’ll need to use grooming tools prone to matting. In fact, you always need to assess the condition of your pet’s coat before you buy a particular brush.
4. Type Of Brush
There are numerous brush styles and designs on the market. Still, they do not have the same function. Different types of brushes should be chosen once you assess the coat length and condition to make sure that your pet’s fur is always in tip-top shape.
The coat of a golden retriever is made up of two layers, and thus you need at least two types of brushes to groom each layer properly. The fluffy, shiny guard coat that lies on the surface is quite different from a dense undercoat underneath it, and thus they cannot be approached in the same manner nor with the same tool.
Here are the most common types of brushes:
- Bristle Brush: Bristle brushes feature flexible bristles typically made from boar hair or nylon. They can differ in thickness and length. In general, the longer the bristles, the longer the fur the brush can handle.
- Slicker Brush: Slicker brushes feature thin wire bristles. They are designed to move through your pet’s topcoat quickly. You have a choice of several sizes and various thickness options. If you are not sure, you should best read the product description and find out whether the brush you plan to buy is appropriate for coarse or fine fur. A slicker brush can be used in the longer fur areas to remove and prevent mats and evenly distribute natural oils.
- Undercoat Rake: As you can probably guess, this brush resembles a small rake. It features metal teeth and a handle. The handle should be comfortable enough to grip while you are brushing your furry pet. It is used to clean and detangle the undercoat, but it can also aid in removing remnants and loose fur. The rake needs to reach the undercoat. Therefore, make sure that the teeth of the rake you plan to buy are long enough to reach the thick coat of your golden retriever and brush it thoroughly.
- Porcupine Brush: Porcupine brushes feature stiff plastic or metal pins. The pins sometimes have nubs on their tips. This type of brush combines the best features of wire pins and bristles and is thus ideal for taking care of your dog’s guard coat. >Do mind that a porcupine brush cannot reach the undercoat.
- De-shedding Brush: The de-shedding brush is a tool used to remove undercoat gently. It features a very fine blade that helps remove massive amounts of fur a dog sheds during the pick shedding periods.
- Combination Brush: A combination brush is an excellent tool for daily grooming and general upkeep. As its name suggests, this type of brush is double-sided and features a wiry surface (pin style) on one side and a regular bristle brush on the other.
What Types Of Brush Do You Need To Get For Your Golden Retriever?
If you want to avoid tangled fur and mats, you will need to get not one but a couple of brushes. In the best-case scenario, you should have the following brushes:
- Wire pin brush
- Bristle brush
- Slicker brush
- Undercoat rake
Use the wire pin brush and the bristle brush for daily upkeep when your retriever’s coat is in reasonably good shape and not overly tangled. You can buy the combination brush too or even get by with only one of these two brushes as they do a similar job.
You must buy a slicker brush – no golden retriever owner can do without it! It helps get rid of mats and tangles in your pet’s topcoat and removes loose hair. Still, it cannot fully reach the thick undercoat of a golden retriever, and thus you need to get an undercoat rake as well.
An undercoat rake helps remove the undercoat. It is especially important to use it regularly during the excessive shedding in spring and autumn. It is of utmost importance to maintain your dog’s undercoat. If the shed hair doesn’t come out completely, it can become severely matted, cause your beloved pet discomfort and even jeopardize its health.
See Also: The Best Portable Carpet Cleaner
How To Keep Your Golden Retriever’s Fur In Top Condition
|Use a slicker brush or a combination brush and gently brush the fur to detangle it and keep it sleek and clean.
|Use a de-matting and de-shedding tool to remove all the tangles and mats from your pet’s undercoat, clean out all the shed hair, and prevent further matting.
|Use an appropriate dog shampoo for bathing your dog; this will keep its skin healthy and reduce shedding.
See Also: The Best Dog Food For Yorkies
If you are a responsible pet owner, you must care for your dog’s coat. Golden retriever owners must make wise decisions when picking the grooming tools as these dogs require daily upkeep.
Our guide is here to help you find the best brush for a golden retriever and keep your beloved pet spotless, free of mats and tangles, and shiny. No matter which brush you choose, you will surely benefit – you’ll have a good looking dog to show off and keep your home cleaner.
It would be best if you could afford at least two brushes from our least as that would provide complete care for your best friend’s demanding coat. Our suggestion is to go for a combination of the SAFARI Coastal Pin And Bristle Combo Dog Brush and GoPets De-Matting Comb. as both tools are double-sided, you’ll have the ultimate care for your dog!
Still, the overall winner of this roundup is the Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush, as it is an ideal tool for the regular daily upkeep of your golden’s double coat. It is delicate on the skin and yet capable of entering the thick hide. The brush is comfortable to hold and has a practical self-cleaning feature.