Top 5 Best Automotive Paint Gun For Beginners 2021:
- DeVilbiss 802343 Painting/Priming Kit
- Fuji 2250 Hobby-PRO 2 HVLP Spray System
- Astro Pneumatic Tool 4008 Spray Gun with Cup
- Wagner Spraytech 0518080 Control Spray Max
- HomeRight C800766 HVLP Paint Sprayer
No matter how much care we put into our four-wheelers, the time comes where we need to give them a small facelift and make them shine again. The simplest way to do that was always to refresh the paint.
The simplest way, however, was not always the most affordable. Yes, painting the hull was long considered something that sends shivers down the spines of car owners. At least while the paint jobs were performed in professional workshops.
We are here to break the good news. The painting equipment has become so streamlined and affordable that you can easily update your vehicle even if you have no skill whatsoever and operate on a shoestring budget.
So, if you feel your car needs an update, you have come to the right place. Here we are going to go through five most popular units on the market and try to find the best automotive paint gun for beginners the money can buy.
Here are our top contenders.
Related: The Best Car Polish
5 Best Automotive Paint Gun For Beginners In 2021: Detailed Reviews
1. DeVilbiss 802343 Painting/Priming Kit – Best Paint Gun Kit Overall
The primary goal of this roundup was to present a couple of useful products aimed at absolute beginners. Keeping that in mind, this neat painting kit is a match made in heaven for all of you weekend warriors.
First, you are getting a genuine kit that will cover a lot of blind spots in your toolkit. Inside that package, you will actually find two guns. One of them is a full-size HVLP gravity feed designed for applying the basecoat, clearcoat, and topcoat. The other features a very similar design, but it’s used primarily for priming.
And that’s not all. Throw into the equation a couple of nozzles, cleaning tools, and two reasonably sized feeds (20 ounces each) and reasonably affordable price tag, and you will get one killer value proposition.
Still, the best thing about this package is that all of the units inside actually perform pretty darn well. For instance, both guns produce the air pressure that goes all the way up to 13 CFM, which is more than enough for all the standard body works.
Also, the flow is precise, steady, and for the time we had to test the guns, we haven’t experienced any stalling.
Of course, with the price like this, you can’t expect to use these guns on larger hulls or some incredible craftsmanship. Even so, this kit makes one incredibly purchase.
- Steady performance
- Painting and priming
- Killer price-value ratio
- Ideal for beginners
- Not the best build quality
2. Fuji 2250 Hobby-PRO 2 HVLP Spray System – Best Premium Paint Gun for Beginners
If you felt the previous kit lacked enough strength to throw a serious punch – boy, are you going to be pleasantly surprised by this entry.
We even hesitated to put Fuji Hobby-Pro Spray System on this “for the beginners” list. As the name suggests, 2250 dives deep in the “Pro” waters. Still, we couldn’t resist recommending the product to people who are still getting around their first body works.
So, what do we have here?
Well, one handsome and powerful paint gun coupled with a spacious siphon feed (both stainless steel) and incredibly ergonomic plastic handle that never gets hot. The extra turbine filters and bottom feed cups are also included in the package.
Of course, being a bottom-feed unit, Fuji 2250 requires a considerable turbine to produce enough air pressure to put the paint through. The one we get here is powerful and silent and allows you to perform different types of works. Also, the hose is pretty long (25 feet), so you don’t need to worry about mobility.
Finally, let us quickly mention that the adjustable features you get in this unit allow you to use a lot of different paint types so you will be able to easily move to wood and even walls.
However, all these things come with a certain price – in this case, probably too high for beginners.
- Stellar performance
- A lot of versatility
- Great build quality
- Long hose
- Probably too expensive
3. Astro Pneumatic Tool 4008 Spray Gun with Cup – Best Affordable Paint Gun
When they are aiming for the lower price segments, the manufacturers are often faced with a difficult choice – what corners need to be cut in order to lower the price to the point where it can draw the attention of the indifferent buyers.
The people from Astro Pneumatic have found a pretty on-the-nose solution for this interesting puzzle.
Well, they rolled out bottom-feed without an included air compressor. Now, if you already own a 10 CFM air compressor or you can borrow one from the neighbors, there is no need to invest dozens of dollars in this specific tool.
Still, keep in mind that the sprayer can’t be used autonomously.
Once we move this issue of the table, we can best describe 4008 Spray Gun as a product that does a very good job of applying the paint to your vehicle and truly comes at a bargain price.
The very gun is made from lightweight but durable metal, it’s easy to handle and even easier to clean. Pack that with the 1.8 mm nozzle that works well with all common types of paint, and you will get all the basics covered.
The feed tells a bit more complicated story. As durable as it is, you will often find yourself in the situation to run out of paint when you tilt the gun.
- Dirty cheap
- Solid build quality
- Reliable performance
- Large-capacity feed
- You don’t get a compressor
- The feed needs to be full
4. Wagner Spraytech 0518080 Control Spray Max – Best Paint Gun for DIY Enthusiasts
At first glance, Wagner Spraytech Control Spray Max looks like a very powerful unit that can easily power through with all sorts of SUVs and trucks you can throw at it. Well, in this case, the look can be deceiving. The things we mentioned are way out of this product’s league.
What you do get is a nice little tool that will work great with all water-based products in your garage but struggles to put on a great performance when you move past this point.
If you want to paint your car, do keep in mind that you will need to invest a lot of time. will and effort in performing the task with this paint gun. However, if you want a versatile tool that can be used in a whole slew of DIY projects.
Now, let’s talk about the very gun. The whole thing actually looks and feels pretty nice, and the combination of durable plastic and stainless still seems like it can go through years of abuse.
As we already mentioned, the adjustable settings offer a great deal of variety, and the two-stage turbine is powerful enough to easily compress latex paints and other thinner materials.
Keep in mind, though, that we have encountered a couple of motor hiccups, so the performance wasn’t entirely smooth.
- Excellent versatility
- Two-stage turbine
- A lot of adjustable features
- Solid build quality
- Mostly for water-based products
- Occasional motor hiccups
5. HomeRight C800766 HVLP Paint Sprayer – Best HVLP Sprayer for Beginners
Finally, we have a product coming from HomeRight – a name that needs no introduction in the circles of family handymen and DIY enthusiasts. True to the reputation of this well-known manufacturer, this HVLP Spray Painter puts on one incredibly tight and reliable performance.
Is that enough, though?
Well, yes and no. Unlike all previous products that packed at least one killer feature that gave them a shot at the tile, HomeRight’s product does seem a bit uninspired.
On the other hand, all the right boxes have been checked. The unit is made from a very durable, good-looking plastic, the bottom-mounted feed packs rock-solid 27 ounces of liquid, and the 2 mm nozzle is a true match made in heaven for all sorts of priming.
The whole thing is powered by a built-in, top-positioned air compressor that makes the whole thing a bit bulky, but hey – at least you don’t have to buy one. The power cord could’ve been longer, though.
Finally, we would like to mention a couple of interesting adjustable features you can find here. The ability to spray horizontal, vertical, and round flows does provide the product with a bit of much-necessary bling.
So, there you have it – a great HVLP sprayer that somewhat struggles with an identity crisis. Still, more than a worthwhile investment.
- Good HVLP performance
- Great capacity
- Quality materials
- Competent air compressor
- A bit bulky
- The power cord could be longer
Things You Need To Know To Find The Best Automotive Paint Gun For Beginners
Ok, these were our top five picks competing for the title of the best automotive paint gun for beginners. Now that we have given our honest opinion on all of them, let us try to set some standards, we are going to use to rank them.
However, this short buying guide has another vital purpose.
Namely, what works for us may not necessarily work for you. The automotive paint gun market is very diverse, and new products are coming in with each passing day. Learning more about available alternatives, as well as what works for these types of units and what doesn’t will certainly help you find the product that suits your needs the best.
So, here are some things you should take into serious consideration before you spend any money.
1. Your Personal Needs
Yes, this is the single most important thing you need to take into account before going shopping. Burning bucks on a product that wasn’t entirely made for you is not exactly a good move. So, do your best to always keep in mind these four things:
- Where you are going to use it – Using the paint gun outdoors and indoors makes a big difference. But, to make things simple – if you are going to paint the vehicle outside, you should probably get a portable product with manageable size and weight.
- The purpose – Paint guns don’t have to be used only on vehicles. If they are designed for different types of paint, they can come in handy with woodworking and metal painting as well.
- The covered area – Larger vehicles like 4WDs and trucks need far more paint than the small city hatchbacks. If you own one, buy the unit you won’t need to refill every five minutes.
- The use frequency – Are you making long-term investment or doing a one time job? Answering this question will help you determine just how much money you want to put into this project.
2. The Type Of Nozzle
- Of course, your personal needs are the most important consideration you will need to make, but they are far from being the only one. The second important thing you should take into account is the type, or to put it more precisely the size of the nozzle.
- You see, some painting products, like for instance primers, are far thicker than the regular paints. If you plan on using them, you should find a product that features a thicker nozzle. On the other hand, metallic and overcoats can only benefit from a more focused output.
- We already briefly mentioned this above, but the topic is worth going into greater detail. If you plan on moving a lot while you are painting and aim for speed rather than efficiency, you should definitely consider buying on the many available mini paint guns. However, if you like to keep the things in the workshop, this added mobility will be a lot less useful to you.
4. The Size Of The Feed
Essentially, the feed is a small plastic container you attach to the paint gun. The math here is very simple, the bigger the feed, the more paint you will be able to spray around in one run.
However, you will need to choose between the two main feed types:
- Gravity feeds – This type is attached upside down, so it needs less air pressure to put the paint through.
- Siphon feeds – Siphon feeds are attached at the bottom and need air pressure to operate. They do, on the other hand, allow for bigger container capacity.
5. Air Compressor
- These units create pressurized air that allows the seamless flow of paint through the nozzle. As a result, the paint gun shoots out a certain amount of paint that is measured in cubic feet per minute (CFM). This number, at the same time, describes the power of the built-in air compressor. If you are going to use the paint gun in longer runs, the general rule is to look for the compressor that can deliver 1.5 CFM the gun requires at a set pressure. This way, you are eliminating the “stalling” usually associated with major body works.
6. Adjustable Features
- Some paint guns are built with only one specific purpose in mind. Others feature the adjustable settings that allow you to resume your efforts on different types of metal and wood. As you can probably guess, these flexible features usually come packed with a slightly heftier price tag.
See Also: The Best Car Sealant
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
And we have finally come to the point where you will discover what is the best automotive paint gun for beginners. Like always, we would like to make a short disclaimer.
As objective as we try to be, this is only our opinion. If you don’t agree with our picks, take a look at the things you should consider before buying and try to figure out if there is anything that works better in your specific case.
Keeping that in mind, here are our top three automotive paint gun picks.
Best Product Overall: DeVilbiss 802343 Painting/Priming Kit
- Although you can find a lot of packages that pack more worth than these two guns, our goal was to present the tools for absolute beginners. And if you are yet to build your toolkit, we can’t imagine a better addition than this two-gun bundle. Great performance coming at a low price – what else could you ask for?
Best Premium Product: Fuji 2250 Hobby-PRO 2 HVLP Spray System
- Fuji 2250 Hobby-PRO is one seriously capable painting tool that really has no problem competing even with some semi-professional units. If you want to get a piece of equipment that will stay with you in many years to come and allow you to progress your body-work skills, we can’t imagine a better investment than this one.
Budget Pick: Astro Pneumatic Tool 4008 Spray Gun with Cup
- Astro Pneumatic Sprayer Gun with Cup is a product that has a couple of flaws. The biggest one is that you need to provide an air compressor. However, if some of your neighbors or relatives, by any chance, own one, the price hanging on this package will put a big smile on your face. The performance is not bad, either.