Top 5 Best Laptops For Writers 2021:
- Acer Chromebook CB3-131 11.6″ Laptop
- Microsoft Surface Book Pro 7
- Microsoft Surface Go
- Apple MacBook Air i5 CPU
- Lenovo Flex 14 2-in-1 Convertible Laptop
Every job requires specific tools. If you want to seriously dedicate yourself to a writing career, you need the right equipment too.
You can be the most creative person on the face of the earth, but you can hardly make any money writing if you do not have a laptop. Not just any laptop will do either. You do not want a machine that will slow you down and interfere with your creative flow, don’t you?
We are here to help you find a laptop that will answer all your specific needs as a writer. It should be a reliable, accurate machine that is comfortable to use and has a state-of-the-art keyboard.
In order for you to be able to type for eight hours every day, you’ll need a laptop with a bounce and tactile feedback. A good display is also a must if you hope to work without fatiguing and straining your eyes.
Finally, the best laptop for writers must be compact enough to take with you wherever you go! You never know when your inspiration will strike, and you want to be ready for it!
So, let’s find you a laptop that will help you write better and earn more!
5 Best Laptops For Writers In 2021: Detailed Reviews
1. Acer Chromebook CB3-131 11.6″ Laptop – Budget-friendly laptop suitable for beginners
Let’s start small – both price and size-wise. Acer Chromebook CB3-131 is an incredibly compact laptop that features an 11.6″ screen, measures 8.03 x 11.57 x 0.73, and weighs only 2.43 pounds (1.1kg).
Thanks to the reliable Celeron processor, you will be able to use numerous software programs that will help you become a successful writer. Still, some standard software packages cannot be installed. If you are ready to move to the cloud as most internet users, your future is safe with this machine.
Beginners will appreciate the simplicity of this machine as well as the cloud-based storage system that will keep their data safe and accessible. If you are a gamer too, you should best skip this unit. It has only 2GB RAM storage and will not support high-quality games.
On the brighter note, this Acer Chromebook is made to last. A robust aluminum cover looks sleek and will not show any fingerprints. The 11.6″ HD IPS screen makes this laptop great for traveling too.
You will also have a built-in SD reader and several ports at your disposal. The 3-cell lithium-ion battery will keep the laptop running for up to 9 hours. Regretfully, the keyboard is not backlit, so you might find it challenging to write in low-light conditions.
- Compact and lightweight
- User-friendly Chrome OS
- Built-in SD reader
- Excellent audio speakers and webcam
- Only 2GB RAM storage
- No backlit keyboard
2. Apple MacBook Air i5 CPU – A high-end laptop you can pair up with your iPhone
If budget is not much of an issue, give the high-end Apple MacBook Air a try! It is an excellent option for those of you who are already using an iPhone, iPad, or an Apple watch. At the same time, it is more than suitable for work on the go as it weighs just 2.96 pounds and measures 12.8 inches (32.5 cm) wide and 8.94 inches (22.7 cm) deep. As a result, you can carry it the whole day without worrying that it will strain your shoulder or back.
A backlit keyboard will make your work easy even at night time. The Mac OSX operating system is easy to master due to an intuitive interface and fewer bugs. The 13.3-inch LED, backlit widescreen display balances portability and image quality quite well.
The Apple MacBook Air comes with a fast i5 processor quite suitable for any freelancer and writer. The battery is one of this unit’s strongest assets since it can provide you with 13 hours of life.
On the downside, the memory of this laptop is somewhat limiting, especially considering its price. The internal memory of 128 GB might be insufficient for storing huge folders. Luckily you can turn to Apple’s iCloud for additional space.
There is a new 2019 MacBook Air model at the market too, but we still recommend you go for the previous generation machine since, as a writer, you will not benefit much from the improved display.
- Lightweight and compact
- Can be synchronized with your iPhone and other Apple products
- i5 processor
- Backlit keyboard
- High price
- Limited memory
3. Microsoft Surface Book Pro 7 – High price for high performance
If you are a more demanding user and wish to use your laptop for more than just writing, you should consider seriously stretching your budget and buying the most expensive member of this list – Microsoft Surface Book Pro. This luxurious machine comes with a super-convenient 12.3-inch touchscreen with pen input.
The Surface Book Pro 7 might be pricier than the other laptops on our list, but it comes with a superb 10th generation Intel Core i7 processor that will satisfy even the demanding gamers. It also offers 16GB RAM and 128 GB of solid-state storage. Considering it is a Microsoft laptop, this beauty is preinstalled with Windows 10 Home.
There is more going in favor of this laptop and justifying its price. Namely, it has an exceptional battery life of up to 10.5 hours. Besides, the battery charges super-fast.
The Microsoft Surface Book Pro 7 doubles as the tablet, too, as the keyboard disconnects from the screen. The screen is the icing on the cake being one of the best touchscreens on the market.
The unit weighs only 1.7 pounds and measures 12.74 x 9.09 x 1.91 inches – this makes it the most portable option for writers who are constantly out and about. There are numerous ways to connect it to other devices, including both USB-C and USB-A ports.
- Ultra-light and portable
- Superior configuration
- 10th generation i7 processor
- Detachable touchscreen
- High price tag
4. Lenovo Flex 14 2-in-1 Convertible Laptop – Mid-range laptop with multiple modes
Lenovo Flex 2-in-1 Convertible Laptop is a versatile machine. It is mid-range in every sense possible – including the price, size, and quality. For a start, it features a 14-inch touchscreen and weighs 3.52 pounds, which hardly makes it the most compact or portable unit on this list.
Lenovo Flex comes with a practical active pen for writing and drawing whatever your current inspiration dictates. You can use it as a laptop or convert it into a tablet. You can also use it in tent mode.
Thanks to the AMD Ryzen 5 3500U Mobile processor streaming videos and displaying photos of the highest quality will never be a problem. The unit supports photo editing too, so you try to broaden your horizons. After all, a picture can sometimes say more than a thousand words.
There are several ports to connect to other devices. The unit comes with installed Windows 10. You do not have to worry about updating it – it is done automatically. Besides, this laptop preserves your privacy by allowing you to use a TrueBlock feature and close the webcam shutter
The battery life of up to 8 hours should satisfy the needs of any writer. Moreover, once depleted, the battery will charge fully in a little over an hour.
- Touchscreen display
- Practical pen
- Ease of use
- TrueBlock feature
- Multiple viewing positions
- A few design flaws such as the SD card sticking out of the slot
- Heavier than other units
5. Microsoft Surface Go – The lightest laptop on the list
Ultra-portable Microsoft Surface Go is an excellent choice if you are constantly on the go. It weighs only a little over one pound and fits into almost any bag or backpack. It will not weigh you down at all.
The 10-inch PixelSense Display is great for writing, but you can also watch movies or edit photos. You’ll receive a surface pen too. Being a 2-in-1 hybrid, Surface Go can convert into a tablet. If you wish, you can customize your beautiful machine by choosing the color of the keyboard.
This laptop is equipped with the Intel Pentium Gold. It is a reliable processor of solid performance even when you open a few tabs and apps simultaneously. The installed Windows 10 in S mode is user-friendly and suitable for beginners. The good-old Windows Defender is also there to make sure you are safe during internet browsing.
The battery life of up to 9 hours is more than sufficient. Besides, there is fast charging, too, so your machine can always be ready to use.
Unfortunately, this laptop is not suitable for gaming and advanced software programs. The small screen can cause eye-strain and fatigue too.
- Reasonably priced
- Suitable for writers on the go
- Long battery life and fast charging
- Multiple modes
- Rather small for everyday work
- Not suitable for gamers
The Best Laptop For Writers Buying Guide
We already gave you a few hints on what you should pay attention to when shopping for the best laptop for writers, but here is a complete list of things you need to consider:
- As we have already implied, the keyboard is the most crucial consideration for any job that includes a lot of typing. Even the best laptop will not be right for you if it has a flimsy keyboard.
- The keyboard you choose should be able to handle everyday writing even when your enthusiasm hits, and you press real hard. Besides being well-built, it should also have an intuitive layout so that you never struggle to find the right letters.
- It would be good to get a backlit keyboard to work during the night without disturbing anyone.
2. Battery Life
- If you want to be able to work away from your home (and a power outlet), you should consider the battery life of a laptop you plan to buy.
- Finding a power outlet can sometimes be mission impossible, and you never know when you will get inspired. Inspiration can come when you least expect it, and you should be able to make the best of it wherever you are at that given moment.
- Long battery life guarantees that you can still submit your work on time, even in the case of a sudden power failure. If you can continue working for at least a couple of hours, you will have enough time to finalize your work and make all the necessary edits before sending the final version.
- It is also advisable to ask around whether you can get the replacement battery for a laptop you intend to buy. In this way, you can always install a new battery when needed or have it around as a spare one.
- Once again, it is highly important that you can write whenever and wherever you feel inspired! A portable laptop enables you to do exactly that!
- If a laptop is compact and light enough to carry wherever you go, you will always have it available, which is a significant advantage for any writer. The best laptop, therefore, should fit into your backpack or bag. It should also be light enough to carry around without straining your shoulders or back. Laptops that weigh less than 4lbs are the best choice.
- An author that travels a lot should best opt for a laptop that will not weigh him or her down even if that means sacrificing some impressive features. You’ll have little use of a high-end laptop if you cannot carry it with you.
- The laptop is an investment into your future and your career, and it should thus serve you well for at least a few years. You should consider both physical and software reliability. A reliable laptop requires minimal maintenance and performs the same for an extended period.
- A robust body made of high-quality materials will keep your laptop in pristine condition despite everyday use. Of course, you must treat it with care and not misuse it.
- A durable laptop must also have high-quality hinges and screen. Hinges are under a lot of strain since you will open and close your laptop quite often. If they succumb to that pressure and break, your laptop will be ruined. The screen should be scratch-resistant and not show any signs of wear and tear after a short time.
- As for the choice of software, it greatly depends on your personal preferences. You can opt for Apple’s IOS and browse the internet effortlessly or the Windows operating system, which is deemed more user-friendly. Finally, if you buy a Chromebook, you will use the Chrome operating system. It is excellent software for net-browsing too.
- No matter your choice, you can always download your favorite writing software and get the best out of any laptop potential.
- As far as different brands of laptops are concerned in terms of reliability, the following chart is quite self-explanatory:
5. Screen Display
- If you are not an undercover gamer too, as a writer, you can choose a decent display and not spend a fortune on it. Still, make sure you can use it to write and read without straining your eyes.
- There are different options regarding the size, and you should best choose the one that fits your lifestyle and writing requirements the best. If you opt for a small display, your machine will be more portable. However, if a display is too small, you risk getting headaches or having your eyes hurt when you write for a long time.
- A touch screen is a modern commodity, but it is not a necessity for a writing career.
- A modern user should have at least 250GB of storage. In this way, you can save all your work in one place and have it available whenever you need it for reference. If you are always on the go, you can also consider an SSD drive upgrade.
- A decent laptop does not necessarily have to break your bank. You can find quite a few budget-friendly machines that will satisfy your needs as a writer. The majority of writers will do just fine with the mid-range laptops.
- If you are on a tight budget, the first thing you can cross over on your list is a mighty processor. It significantly increases the unit’s price, while its primary purpose is to support highly-demanding software programs that you will not have any need for in the first place. Therefore, you will do just fine with at least 4GB of RAM and an Intel i5 processor or better.
- However, if you plan to use your laptop for programming, photo editing, or gaming, you might want to reconsider your budget and opt for a pricier machine with a high processor and RAM.
- Besides, it is often the case that pricier premium laptops are more reliable too. You can see that in the following chart:
So, what is the best laptop for writers you can currently buy?
If our detailed buying guide and the list of best products have not been enough for you to make your choice, here are our final recommendations:
If you are on a tight budget, go for Acer Chromebook CB3-131 11.6″ Laptop. It might be basic, but it is reliable too.
If you want to do more than just write, consider Microsoft Surface Book Pro 7. It is the best unit as far as performance is concerned and an excellent option for gamers.
Finally, if you always search for inspiration away from home, you should best opt for the ultra-portable Microsoft Surface Go.