Top 5 Best Laptops For Teachers 2020:
- ASUS Chromebook Flip C302 2-In-1 Laptop Intel Core M3 – 12.5″
- Samsung Chromebook Pro Convertible Touch Screen Laptop Intel Core M3 – 12.3”
- Apple MacBook Pro Intel Core i9 – 16”
- ASUS ZenBook UX330UA-AH54 Intel Core i5 – 13.3”
- Microsoft Surface Pro 6 – 12.5”
We live in a digital era.
You will find computers ruling in every aspect of our lives, so why teaching should be excluded.
The days of chalk, board, pens, and papers are far behind us, and nowadays, most teachers are using smart screens, e-books, and laptops for the purpose of education.
Unfortunately, this is still in the transition phase, and many people have a hard time choosing the right type of laptop for their needs. This might sound weird, but not every teacher needs a laptop that offers the same performance.
That is why we decided to make a list of the best laptop for teachers and help to speed up the transition.
5 Best Laptops For Teachers In 2020: Detailed Reviews
It can be a gruesome task to find the best laptop for your purposes if you are not sure what exactly you are trying to find.
To save you a lot of time and nerves, we decided to provide you with this comprehensive list of the top five best laptops for teachers.
1. ASUS Chromebook Flip C302 2-In-1 Laptop Intel Core M3 – 12.5″ – Classy Design Available In Both Tablet And Laptop Mode
We love laptops that sport convertible design, just like this ASUS model. They are lightweight and portable companions that offer almost the same performance as traditional laptops, but they are easy to pack and carry around.
But what makes it so good?
First, it is fitted in an all-aluminum chassis that gives an overall sleek and modern look, and it only weighs 2.6 pounds. The unique 360-degree hinge and touchscreen let you use it in an endless variety of ways as a laptop, stand, and tent modes, but it is specifically designed to be used as a tablet.
The ASUS Flip C302 runs on Chrome OS, and it successfully runs many Android applications. It is powered by a Core M3 processor, which is the perfect choice since it makes this laptop very efficient. It also features 4GB of RAM and 64GB of HDD storage, this is a bit lower than we expected, but it still runs perfectly and allows multitasking. You will be able to run 2 Chrome windows with 12 tabs open on each without any lag.
The graphics are powered by Intel Integrated HD Graphics 515. This model features a 12.5-inch display with a resolution of 1920×1080 pixels. It is not the sharpest resolution, but that is the main reason why this laptop has such long battery life – approximately 10 hours! That is an excellent tradeoff if you ask us.
What we didn’t like is audio performance. It can go loud, but the frequency is just wrong and tinny, limiting how high you should go before your ears start bleeding. Let’s talk about connectivity options. You will be able to use Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2, two USB type C ports, and Multi-Card Slot ports.
- Great performance and design
- Solid battery life
- Only USB type C ports
2. Samsung Chromebook Pro Convertible Touch Screen Laptop Intel Core M3 – 12.3” – Great Choice For People Who Like Convenience Of The Stylus Pen
This Samsung Chrome book Pro will give you both the powerful performance of the laptop and the tablet’s versatility at the same time. It features a unique, very stylish design that makes him slim and lightweight. This device is a great choice for teachers on the move who want a sleek, elegant, yet sturdy laptop while they are on the move.
Thanks to its 360-degree hinge and the rotating screen, you will use this device as a regular notebook, a tablet, a display when the keyboard is faced down and the display pointing towards you, or a tent for media viewing.
Just like ASUS Chromebook, this model as well runs on Chrome OS, and it is compatible with most Android apps you can find on Google Play Store. Samsung Chromebook Pro is very fast thanks to the Intel Core M3 processor that will allow you to browse the internet, edit your videos, and even run some 3D games.
This model is less practical than the previous model because it only has 4GB of RAM and 32GB of HDD storage. You will still be able to multitask, but you will experience some lagging from time to time.
It features a vibrant 12.3-inch QHD touch screen display with a high sharp resolution of 2400 x 1600. This was a pleasant surprise, but yet it will drain your battery quickly, so do not expect it to last more than 8 hours. The Integrated Intel Graphics 515 makes your experience smooth.
We love that it comes with an embedded stylus. Again, speakers are a problematic feature; we just can’t say they are bad, but we can’t claim they are good either. Use headphones whenever you can. You can connect your laptop via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1, 2 USB type C ports, and Memory Card slot.
- QHD touch display
- Stylus S-pen
- Strong processor
- Lightweight and durable
- Sharp resolution
- Not so good in multitasking
3. Apple MacBook Pro Intel Core i9 – 16” – For Those With Deeper Pockets
The new MacBook Pros is by far the most powerful model on this list. It is as well the one that will cost you the most, so if you are not ready to spend some significant amount of money on a thing like a laptop, you should maybe consider some older version of MacBook.
Let’s find out what this amazing product has to offer.
This model is slightly heavier and larger than previous models. It features an impressive 16” Retina display with True Tone technology and 3072 x 1920 pixels resolution. But what differs this display from other MacBook models is the spectacular brightness. It produces 500 nits of brightness, delivering deep blacks and bright whites every time. As usual, there is no touch-screen option, which is disappointing considering the price.
It operates on macOS Catalina 10.15.1. The processor offers slightly more advantages over the previous MacBook Pro models since it comes equipped with the Intel Core 8-core i9 processor. This will, for sure, allow faster processing and improved cooling.
Multitasking with this beast will be a breeze since it sports 32GB of RAM (which you can upgrade to amazing 64GB if needed) and AMD Radeon Pro 5500M graphics chip with 8GB of video memory.
There is some significant improvement considering keyboard and audio quality. This model finally said goodbye to the butterfly mechanism keyboard and welcomed a new and improved Magic Keyboard that features a scissors mechanism, which is more reliable.
Audio quality improved immensely thanks to the two large speakers that are now enhanced with two great subwoofers for more rigid sound and great bass. The battery life is surprisingly long, considering how powerful this laptop is. It will stay in operating mode for almost 11 hours, which is great.
Unfortunately, all ports are still limited to only USB C type.
- Great resolution and bigger screen
- Battery life
- Powerful processor
- Improved keyboard and audio quality
- No touch-screen option
- Only USB C ports
4. ASUS ZenBook UX330UA-AH54 Intel Core i5 – 13.3” – Premium Quality For Great Price
If you need a high-quality laptop that is nicely packed with many features, but it won’t cost you a small fortune, then this laptop will serve you well. The aluminum body is sleek and lightweight, offering great portability and sturdiness.
The ASUS ZenBook comes with a 13.3” full HD LCD screen with 1920 x 1080 pixels resolution. This display is anti-glare, so it will offer a sharp and clear image even in the brightest classrooms, so you do not have to worry about adjusting the screen every now and then. The screen movement is restricted to 178°.
The Windows 10 software is used in this model, which allows login via a built-in one-touch fingerprint reader. Also, it features the Intel Core i5-7200U processor, so it delivers very high speed. It has an 8GB RAM with a 256GB SSD of storage. You can be sure it will handle multitasking operations easily without lagging. We can say with ease that it is faster than most laptops in this price range.
This model utilized integrated Intel UHD Graphics 620, so you can’t expect to use this laptop for some more serious gaming purposes.
The battery life is around 9 hours, which is average, so we consider this as one of the downsides of this model considering the previous ASUS ZenBook model feature battery that can provide at least 11 hours of work time.
The keyboard is wide and comfortable to use compared to the touchpad, which is problematic from time to time. The audio quality is impressive, offering great bass and clear vocals, but this is not very surprising since this model sports Harman Kardon speakers.
Connectivity is very various since you can use Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, USB Type C, and some extra connectivity features like HDMI port for external display, D-SUB, and SD Card for additional storage.
- Great design
- Portable and lightweight
- Great processor and RAM
- Screen resolution
- Audio quality
- Restricted screen movement
- Battery life should be better
5. Microsoft Surface Pro 6 – 12.5” – Ideal For Office Work And Streaming
The Microsoft Surface Pro 6 is a 2-in-1 hybrid that will be your great work companion since you can use it as a tablet, studio mode, and laptop mode.
The Pro 6 features a detachable Type Cover keyboard dock. It is very slim yet stable, and lightweight so you will be able to carry it around with you. The only downside of the keyboard is the size since it is a bit crowded, but that should not be such a big problem.
This model features a 12.5” display with 2736 x 1824 pixels resolution that offers high brightness and vivid colors. The images and videos will look sharp and clear. It is equipped with a tempered glass cover that tends to reflect sunlight, which sometimes can be a problem.
The Pro 6 model runs on Windows 10 Home. This is an entry-level model that sports Intel Core i7-3960X CPU with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD. This provides a hassle-free multitasking experience. It will also handle light gaming.
This model can be used in studio mode for drawing, but it does not come with Surface Pen, so you will need to also purchase it if you need it, which will increase the already high price for this unit.
Microsoft claims that this handy little gadget can withstand 13 hours and 30 minutes of looped videos! In reality, battery life will easily withstand 12 hours of use, which is still very good. In case your battery runs out on you, it can be fully recharged in approximately 2 hours.
You will be able to connect with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.1. What is seriously disappointing is that it only comes with one USB 3.0 port, so there is no USB type C in this Microsoft Pro series. Also, since there is only one port, your expansion options are very limited.
- Great battery life
- Fast and powerful processor
- Portable 2-in-1 model
- Surface Pen must be purchased separately
- Only one USB 3.0 port
How To Pick Out The Best Laptop For Teachers
There are a few specifications that you must take into consideration when trying to pick out the best possible laptop for your work.
- It is recommended that you go for models that are operated by Intel core processors rather than Pentium or atom-based processors. Intel Core i5 is the minimum that is recommended for optimal performance. Some i3 models will provide good performance for less money.
- There is no need to worry about Cores and Clock Frequency since all modern processors are at least dual-core, and they all have enough frequency to make running teaching tasks with ease.
- The RAM determines your processor’s speed and make sure you do not go below 4GB when looking at RAM sizes. In case you tend to surf the web a lot with multiple internet tabs open at the same time, buy a laptop with at least 8GB RAM, but it is preferable to go even higher.
- The lower the RAM, the chances are high your laptop will experience lag issues or even completely crash in more severe cases.
3. Operating System
- The operating system determines the type of software that can be run on it. There are three major options: Apple’s OSX, Microsoft’s Windows OS, and Google Chrome OS.
- The Windows OS is the most affordable and versatile, while Mac OS is more expensive and very efficient at blocking viruses. Google Chrome OS is also versatile, but it is a new system, so it is not compatible with a lot of file formats, so you will need to convert each one before you can use it.
- The size of the display should only depend on your type of teaching. If you are going to use a lot of photography, video editing, or any task at all involving graphics in your teaching, it is recommended to use at least a 17″ screen.
- You will need a significant amount of storage systems to store your presentations, docs, e-textbooks, video lectures, applications, etc. Make sure you buy the one that has at least 256GB of storage space. The bigger your storage space, the better since there is never too much free space if you ask us, especially if you are a teacher.
6. Battery Life
- Battery life is important to everyone. But when you work as a teacher, battery life is crucial since the last thing you need is your battery running down on you in the middle of the class. Your laptop’s recommended battery life must be a minimum of 8 hours, but we recommend looking for higher options as well.
In the end, all five models in today’s review are portable, lightweight, and reliable options for teachers.
Some offer better resolution; some offer better battery life, but as we said, different types of teachers need different types of specs. Anyhow, we tried to make fit for everyone’s pockets, and we hope you all will find our post helpful.
Best Overall Value: ASUS Chromebook Flip C302 2-In-1 Laptop Intel Core M3 – 12.5”
- If you are on the budget or you do not tend to use the laptop in your classes too often, then you do not need to spend a lot of money on some high-end unit. The processor is powerful enough for basic needs, and on top of all, it provides a great battery life.
Best Budget Option: Samsung Chromebook Pro Convertible Touch Screen Laptop Intel Core M3 – 12.3”
- This is a uniquely designed model with a very stylish look and powerful processor. It is very lightweight and portable, making it a great choice for the teachers that are always on the go. Since it comes with a stylus included, it will be a perfect choice for teachers that include drawing in their teaching methods.
Premium Pick: Apple MacBook Pro Intel Core i9 – 16”
- Apple products are widely known for their high-end price and great performances. This beast of a laptop is more suitable for teachers who require high-performance processors for their work. The high price is justified considering all the features this model has to offer to you.