Top 5 Best Potato Mashers 2021:
- KitchenAid Gourmet Stainless Steel Wire Masher
- OXO Stainless Steel Good Grips Potato Masher
- FLYINGSEA Potato Masher
- Priority Chef Potato Ricer and Masher
- Spring Chef Stainless Steel Potato Masher
Potatoes have to be one of the most popular foods on the planet. And, to be quite honest, there are a lot of compelling reasons behind this world-wide fame. First and foremost, stacking a healthy dose of carbs potatoes are incredibly veggies and great replacement bread.
If you have watched the movie “The Martian” you’ve seen that Matt Damon was able to survive an entire year almost exclusively by eating these bad boys.
The second reason has to be mashed potatoes. Easy to make and even easier to combine with different seasonings, this popular creamy food is an absolute champion in culinary versatility.
But, to get that sweet, creamy texture, you need to have a good potato masher. If you are ill-equipped, all you will get is a squashed graveyard of potato leftovers.
We are going to make sure that is not the case. As a matter of fact, we will go one step further and won’t settle with good. Here, we are going to find the best potato masher the money can currently buy.
Here are the top 5 contenders:
5 Best Potato Mashers In 2021: Detailed Reviews
1. KitchenAid Gourmet Stainless Steel Wire Masher – Best Potato Masher Overall
Potato mashers are not entirely the type of products known for many innovations they experienced as time went by. The one major breakthrough, however, was the gradual replacement of good old steel meshes with more lightweight and easier to maintain wires.
This is the product that brings this new concept to an absolute peak, and, honestly, we are very curious about the ways it can be further improved.
Well, the handle could be made from quality tactile rubber rather than plastic, and the wire could be a bit narrower, but all this is nitpicking at its finest.
We really had no real obstacles using this product. Even with these two minor drawbacks in mind, we were thoroughly impressed the though-as-nails, durable stainless steel wire that had no problem turning even the half-boiled potatoes into a smooth cream we nothing but enjoyed seasoning.
Of course, wire design is inherently easy to clean. This, in combination with the fact that all parts are dishwasher-safe, makes maintenance a breeze.
Finally, we would like to point out that, even if the handle leaves something to be desired, it’s still made of pure comfort and joy. The grip you get is great, and you even have a small loop that allows some convenient storage options.
Rock-solid effort if you ask us.
- Great value for the money
- Ergonomic design
- Top-quality materials
- Ease of maintenance
- The dimensions are slightly off
2. OXO Stainless Steel Good Grips Potato Masher – Best Premium Potato Masher
The term “best of both worlds” has been used very often as of lately. And to be quite honest, it does lend itself pretty great to the situations when you need to describe the situations when two different products are colliding to create something truly remarkable.
Well, we are happy to report that OXO Potato Masher is the unit that allows you to experience this concept first-hand and prove it actually can work in a real-life scenario.
The things that are mashed up in the product are the sheer efficiency of steel mash nets and efficient and easy-to-maintain design of steel wires. What you get as a result is sturdy stainless steel graced with a couple of small holes that make sure that even the most stubborn potatoes won’t leave hard chunks in the aftermath.
The handle does not lag behind either. It’s sturdy, packs a couple of non-slip fins at both ends, and even allows you decent shock absorption. Overall – you get smooth sailing.
And it’s also good to know that all these parts are dishwasher-safe.
Is there anything wrong with the masher?
Sure, great performance comes with a high price, and this masher is no exception. Also, the length could be better. But, if you are ready to cope with these two minor flaws, you will get nothing but pure joy.
- A clever combination of mesh and wire design
- Excellent handle
- Ease of use
- It could be longer
3. FLYINGSEA Potato Masher – Best Affordable Potato Masher
Some people are not preparing mashed potatoes all too frequently. And even when they do, they don’t have to cook for the entire family. In this scenario, the best thing you can hope for is a powerful performance, low price, and ease of maintenance.
This unit checks all these marks. Sure, it lacks in some other departments. For instance, the handle does not feature any type of ergonomic overlay whatsoever. Using it in the run would probably cause some strain and slipping.
But, if you are mashing only a couple of potatoes? Honestly, who cares?
This is the point where the advantages of this product kick in to save the day. For instance, this whole thing is made from incredibly durable 18/10 stainless steel. If you use it only on occasion, the chances are it will last a lifetime.
Also, the mesh you get at the bottom strikes the perfect balance between density and hole-size. Let us clarify – the openings are big enough to be effortlessly cleaned but narrow enough to squeeze even the smallest potato chunks.
And finally, there is the price. This package is cheap. The price tag is not entirely bargain-bin, and yet it’s still lucrative enough to let you forget some of the drawbacks.
So, as long as you know what you are buying, you will get a lot of enjoyment out of this one.
- Lucrative price
- Efficient performance
- Quality stainless steel
- Durable design
- Great experience in short bursts
4. Priority Chef Potato Ricer and Masher – Best Affordable Potato Ricer
And now, for something completely different.
Yes, we finally got an opportunity to get our hands on a genuine potato ricer – the only one in this contest. Now, a small disclaimer here – we don’t have anything about this type of product. They are just not nearly as frequent as handheld mashers.
On the contrary, we are more than happy when we stumble upon some of the ricers that get the job done. Priority Chef Potato Ricer is definitely one of these units.
For a start, build quality is top-notch. The unit is made from 100% rust-free stainless steel that looks like it can go through hell or high water and remain unscratched. These solid building blocks are well put-together and feature ergonomic rubber plastic overlays spread across the handles.
In the end, you get a unit that won’t get your hands sore, even after a couple of hours of continuous use.
Things are also not bad when we move on to performance. With the mesh so dense, there is no way you can expect anything else, even if you try out veggies like carrots.
But, this efficiency comes with a price – boy is this unit hard to clean. The other issue is that the feeder seems too small for some of the bigger potatoes out there, so you need to cut them into pieces.
- Excellent build quality
- Solid performance
- Ergonomic handles
- Easy to use
- You need to cut potatoes into smaller pieces
- Cleaning is a chore
5. Spring Chef Stainless Steel Potato Masher – Best Mashed Potato Kit
Some products try to sway customers with low prices. Others are trying to do the same with bundles that include multiple useful products.
This package somehow manages to do both these things and all that while at the same time providing more than reasonable quality. Don’t know about you, but we feel more than intrigued.
So yeah, this mashing steel wire feels a bit loose and the handle, admittedly, becomes slippery when wet. But, the price point this package comes at is more than ridiculous. And you get one very decent potato peeler wrapped in it.
Keeping that in mind, this masher is not all that bad.
The very wire is reasonably well-made, durable, and dishwasher-friendly, which makes it a perfect pick for the people that are living alone or still making their first culinary steps. We don’t know how long the unit can last if you use it on a daily basis, but the couple of runs we had with it were very delightful.
Also, both items included in the package can be cleaned in a dishwasher so you won’t have to put too much thought into maintenance, either.
The bottom line – this product is far from perfect. But perfect is not something you can expect in this narrow price range. All these things make one very solid first-time purchase.
- Great start for beginners
- Solid performance
- The peeler is quite decent
- Feels a bit flimsy
- Not the best handle
Things You Need To Check To Find The Best Potato Masher
These were the top five most popular products competing for the flattering title of the best potato masher on the market. Now that we had enough time to take a good look at their pros and cons, let us browse through the features you need to take into account before you finally open up your wallet.
You see, potato mashers are simple tools, but they still offer enough variety to cater to different user requirements. We have found a way to pick the unit we find the most suitable for our culinary experience.
Learning more about available options will help you find your own ideal pick. Or agree with our choices. It’s really up to you.
So, here are the most important features the potato masher can have.
1. The Type Of Masher
As we briefly mentioned above, potato mashers come in a wide variety of different shapes, sizes, and designs. Still, even with all that versatility on display, most of these units can be divided into two distinct groups:
- Handheld – These are the mashers you will most probably see on the store shelves. Their advantages are that they are usually affordable, easy to maintain, and straightforward to use. Well, only as long as they implement an ergonomic design. If not, they can be a pain in the neck. Also, they do require a healthy dose of manual work.
- Ricers – Now, this type is an entirely different beast. Unlike the previous group of units that mash potatoes by squeezing, this one performs more like more handheld mincers. Their great advantage they offer is that while you are grounding potatoes, you are, at the same time, squeezing water out of them. The biggest drawback – due to their more complex design, maintenance tends to be a chore.
We also have to mention that various blenders are doing an incredibly good job of turning your boiled potatoes into a cream. However, they do make an entirely different group of products, so we will keep them out of this race.
See Also: The Best Whip Cream Chargers
2. Size (Capacity) Of The Masher
This one is pretty self-explanatory but please, give us the honor. Essentially, the bigger potato mashers can squeeze more potatoes at once. And they often cost a couple of dollars more. But what if you are living alone or with your partner?
- You have to agree that, in this scenario, buying a huge-sized masher that will chew up a considerable chunk of your kitchen drawer doesn’t make too much sense, does it?
- But, if you, on the other hand, aim for efficiency or plan to open up a small restaurant, a bigger masher will definitely make a worthwhile purchase.
3. Ease Of Maintenance
- Mashed potatoes are food made of magic dust. But, when you finally finish eating, you will need to go back to the kitchen and clean up the mess. Handheld units have a distinct advantage here. They usually feature a one-piece design, and they are dishwasher-safe, so the amount of work you need to invest is kept bare minimum.
- Tabletop ricers? Not so much.
4. Durability/Quality Of The Materials
- These things are closely tied together, so we are going to put them together. The better the quality of the used materials, the longer you are the masher will last. So always look for the units that are made from quality plastic and stainless steel.
- Note here – most of the stainless steel products out there feature an inscription that indicates the percent of chromium and nickel used in the alloy. The best ones are marked with the numbers 18/8 and 18/10.
- Still, even the best materials in the world won’t save the masher that is sloppily put together. If the unit feels loose or deformed, it would be best to skip it altogether.
5. Ease Of Use
- If you ever had the displeasure of using a full-stainless-steel one-piece potato masher, you know just how much hurt and discomfort these beasts can use when every time you need to tackle more than a couple of boiled potatoes. Especially if you are suffering from some medical conditions like arthritis.
- So, if you can get a unit that features a nice comfortable handle, please do so. Not only will you get a much better grip even when your palms start to get sweaty, but the overall experience will also be much more pleasant throughout.
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
Well, here we are at the very end. Now that we’ve gotten an opportunity to take a look at five units competing for the title of the best potato masher on the market and went through some of the criteria we used to sort them out, it is time to share our final impressions.
We have to admit, though, that we had a great time with all these products. So take the rankings with a grain of salt. No matter which one you eventually go with, you will have very little to regret.
Now that we moved this out of the way, here are our top three picks:
Best potato masher overall: KitchenAid Gourmet Stainless Steel Wire Masher
- As you could probably get the impression from our review above, we were thoroughly impressed with this product. So, it shouldn’t be too big of a surprise that we put it at the number one spot. Sure, you will be able to find a couple of minor drawbacks here and there. But, keeping in mind the value proposition you have on display here, they are more than worth overlooking.
Best premium potato masher: OXO Stainless Steel Good Grips Potato Masher
- OXO is a manufacturer that doesn’t require too much introduction in the circles of avid cooking lovers. We are happy to report that this unit lives up to the expectations set by its famous predecessors. The combination of mesh and wire design is smart, build quality excellent, and everything runs as smooth as it gets. We wish if only the price could be a bit lower.
Best budget pick: FLYINGSEA Potato Masher
- This product has a couple of drawbacks worth talking about. But honestly, with such a low price and reliable build quality, we don’t even want to bother. If you are a casual user that is going to mash potatoes only sporadically and in short bursts, you will hardly find a product better than this one.