Top 5 Best Pomades For Thick Hair 2020:
- American Crew POMADE FOR HOLD AND SHINE for Men 3 oz
- Suavecito Pomade Original Hold 4 oz
- Baxter of California Clay Pomade for Men 2 oz
- Kenra Platinum Texturizing Taffy 2 oz
- Smooth Viking Pomade for Men 2 oz
Having thick luscious hair is great until it starts to act wild, and become uncontrollable.
Having a bad hair day is totally normal.
What is not normal is how hard it can be to tame it.
Well, it was before we finally gave in and started using pomade for thick hair. Not to be confused, this hair product can help you keep your hair in its best shape regardless of the thickness. The only difference is that thicker hair simply requires more work. That is why a good pomade is a must-have for anyone with thick hair.
Therefore, here we present you with a list of the best thick hair pomades to help you maintain your messy hair in line.
5 Best Pomades For Thick Hair In 2020: Detailed Reviews
1. Suavecito Pomade Original Hold 4 oz – All Natural And Strong
Are you looking for a nice smelling pomade that will give you a sleek look? No need to look further; the Suavecito pomade is what you need. Thick hair requires a strong and firm hold to remain in place after styling, and this is arguably one of the most popular pomades on the market currently.
The pomade is water-based, so you can readjust your hair throughout the day by directly applying a small amount of water to rehydrate the pomade on your hair. Since it is water-based, it will not cause your hair to experience any damage; furthermore, it does not have any dangerous chemicals in it.
Your hair will never feel greasy or sticky after applying this pomade (of course, as long as you don’t use way too much). It will provide the feeling of healthy and clean hair. The pomade is suitable for thick and straight hair and will not perform the best with wavy hair since it will not allow it to keep the curl.
Combing your hair after using this pomade is straightforward, which contributes to the styling. The pomade is an excellent choice for styling slick backs and side parts. The pomade is very easy to wash off afterward.
The price is what surprised us the most. We still can’t figure out how they can make such a high-quality product this affordable.
- Strong hold
- Hair is easy to comb after use
- Easy to wash out
- Not recommended for wavy hair
2. American Crew POMADE FOR HOLD AND SHINE for Men 3 oz – Excellent For Wavy Hair
If you prefer slicked back hair, this pomade will deliver compelling results. It will hold and shine your thick hair to perfection, and it smells heavenly.
The American Crew Pomade is a water-based product that won’t harm your hair in any case since it does not contain any synthetic additives. Make sure to use a small amount to style your hair and, if needed, add a bit more, since it can make your hair look greasy and lifeless.
It works great on both curly and straight hair. The best result will be visible for people that need to style curly hair no matter if it is short or long since it will hold curls in place without making hair look crunchy.
This product will not only hold your hair; it will also give it more definition. It gives you high shine, and on the other hand, it is quite easy to wash out without leaving any residue behind. The best way to apply this product is on damp towel-dried hair.
Combing hair after applying the pomade is effortless, considering that this product does not tangle your hair. It offers a medium hold, which is more than enough for your everyday needs. The pomade is quite affordable, considering it comes in a pack of 3 oz.
- No synthetic additives
- Easy to wash out
- Smells great
- An excellent choice for wavy hair
- Might make hair look greasy if overused
3. Baxter of California Clay Pomade for Men 2 oz – A Paraben- Free Solution
If your goal is to make your hair shinier than ever, this pomade will be one of the greatest purchases you can make, keeping in mind that Baxter of California is well known for its classy reputation.
The secret of this fantastic product lies in the ingredients used for its creation. The pomade includes kaolin clay and beeswax, so it is excellent for separating, defining, and molding various hairstyles. The pomade will provide a strong hold that will last all day due to natural ingredients. Since it is all-natural, it is very lightweight and won’t make your hair look greasy and wet.
Be aware that it can leave specks of the clay in your hair if you do not distribute it evenly, or use too much product. Also, the smell is pleasant but quite strong, so if you do not tolerate high fragrances, you better avoid this product.
The pomade is designed to provide a great texture and a natural and matte finish to your hair. The application process is pretty easy; apply a small amount and work it into hair from front to back until you achieve the desired look. Depending on if you apply it on damp or dry hair, it can offer a matte or glossy finish.
This luxury styling pomade is a perfect choice for hairstyles such as quiffs, pomps, spikes, and slick backs. Yes, the price of the pomade is a little on the higher side, but the results it gives are worth every penny.
- Natural ingredients
- Strong hold
- Easy to wash and apply
- Suitable for all hair types
- Won’t leave hair looking greasy
- Strong smell
4. Kenra Platinum Texturizing Taffy 2 oz – Citrus-Like Fragrance
This Kenra pomade has a fine and delicate texture of the cream; therefore, it is a perfect choice if you prefer medium-firm hold and flexible styling. Also, this is the only product on our list that is unisex.
The product features a high-quality water-based formula that is able to create an excellent hold and a shine on straight hair no matter if it is short or long. On the other hand, it will not perform the best on curly and wavy hair. Also, this product fails to hold your hairdo longer than a few hours.
The pomade will offer you flexible styling without the trace of stiffness or risk of making your hair look sticky and wet. The end result is soft-textured hair that also feels movable, and it holds your hairdo strongly in place. The pomade has a nice natural scent created using essences like citrus and cucumber.
To achieve the best results, apply a small amount of cream in palms or on your fingertips and distribute it evenly on damp or dry hair. Be very careful with the amount of the product you apply, since too much of the product will make your hair heavy and greasy.
Considering the amount of the product and the price, we can’t say it is affordable since most products come in packages of 3 or 4 oz.
- Lightweight when used in small amounts
- Great for straight thin hair
- Nice fresh fragrance
- Medium-firm hold
- Not suitable for curly hair
- Makes hair look heavy and greasy if overused
5. Smooth Viking Pomade for Men 2 oz – Great For Styling Beards Too
The Smooth Viking pomade is an affordable product that will help you achieve the desired style with a firm hold and a supreme finish.
The pomade is water-based, and it will give your hair a clean look. All it takes is a small amount of product to tame your hair and keep it well maintained. If you prefer a slick look, apply a small amount of pomade on a damp hair and comb it thoroughly to spread it evenly. In all other cases, application on dry hair is more than enough.
It will easily rinse off. The pomade won’t hold your hairdo throughout all day, but you can easily re-rehydrate the pomade with wet fingers and restyle your hair or beard.
It will give you a matt finish rather than a shiny one which we consider as a bonus since you don’t have to worry about using too much product and your hair looks greasy. The product is very versatile; it will handle formal, casual, messy, and slick hairstyles.
You can also use it to style your bearded and mustaches and make them look polished and neuter. The only limit with this pomade is that it won’t work at all on aging and thin hair; it will rather make it sticky and even more lifeless.
- Water-based formula
- Easy to rinse off and restyle
- Suitable for straight and curly hair
- Appropriate to polish beard and mustaches
- Matt finish
- Not ideal for thin and aging hair
- Does not hold throughout all-day
Best Pomade For Thick Hair Buying Guide
Having a lot of hair is a big responsibility. So maintaining a thick hair under control seems more of a hassle for apparent reasons. That is why we recommend you to use a hair pomade. But choosing the right one is not an easy task. If you follow the suggested features, you should be able to select the right product for you without any struggle.
1. Type Of Hair
- This is the most crucial factor. Knowing that your hair is thick is not enough. It can also be wavy, straight or curly. The type of hair determines which pomade will suit your hair the best. Always choose the product based on your type of hair and texture and not based on price and recommendation since the product that works well for others might not be the best for you.
- Some products work well only on straight hair, and some will do magic for wavy hair. Curly hair, on the other hand, requires special attention to maintain their shape and flexibility.
- The point of using a hair pomade is to maintain a hairstyle and its shape intact while avoiding feeling heavy on the hair. Depending on the type of hold you need, you can choose between mild, medium, strong, and super-strong holds.
- The medium hold is the most popular one; it gives you the firm hold and provides your hair with the flexibility to achieve an overall natural look. If you decide to use stronger versions of pomade, make sure to refresh them with a bit of water during the day.
3. The Finish
- Some products are suitable for giving a natural matt finish while others provide a shiny finish. If you want a matt finish, go for a cream formula. If you strike for some shine, go for gel formula, which is lightweight and gives a natural slick look.
4. Method Of Application
- Every styling product for hair has recommendations in the amount of product that should be used as well as the right method of application. Using the pomade in the wrong way will do more harm than good to your hair. It can even lead to damages. That is why we recommend you to carefully read and understand all instructions before purchasing the product.
- Some hair pomades are better for the hair. Meaning they are made from natural ingredients that help to repair the hair and improve the texture. Those ingredients are oils, beeswax, vitamin E, and other natural ingredients that will condition your hair and boost its growth. If you can avoid any kind of synthetic ingredients.
- Convenient packaging that is easy to use should be in your priorities. Pomade must be applied with fingers, so if it comes in a small container, it can be challenging for you to take the product out. That is why we recommend you to go for tub packaging. Always wash your hands and dry them thoroughly before dipping them in the tub since these products can get funky.
- The price depends on the brand, ingredients, and size. All hair pomades have the same basic function, and that is holding the hairstyle, but not all provide the best results. If you want to save some money, better buy a larger packaging from wholesale suppliers than choosing a cheaper formula that does not serve the purpose.
See Also: The Best Conditioner For Men
Summary – Our Recommendations
Today we presented you with a list of the most popular hair pomades currently available on the market. All of them are praised and loved for their results. We had a hard time trying to decide which one of these amazing products is our favorite.
They all cost approximately the same, they all provide great value for the price. The only difference is in the amount of the product you will get, so we based our final decisions taking that into consideration.
Best Overall Value: American Crew POMADE FOR HOLD AND SHINE for Men 3 oz
- This all-natural pomade offers a medium hold that is practical for any hairstyle and hair type. If you are looking for a product that will refine your straight hair or keep your pesky curls under control, this pomade will do that job for you with ease. Also, if you are a fan of a shiny finish, make sure you purchase this product.
Best Budget Option: Suavecito Pomade Original Hold 4 oz
- This is the best pomade for maintaining a fabulous hairstyle, and it will provide a secure hold all day. Need to retouch your hair? Simply reactivate the pomade by adding a small amount of water. It offers a medium hardness finish without leaving a dry and unattractive residue. It comes in a generous package, and it is suitable for both short and long hair.
Premium Pick: Baxter of California Clay Pomade for Men 2 oz
- This is a clay-based pomade that will perfectly match your styling needs. It will provide both matt and glossy finish, depending on whether you apply it to dry or damp hair. The luxury packaging is not what you usually expect from a man’s hair pomade, and the amount could be more generous. After all, this product may cost a bit more, but it won’t disappoint you.