Top 5 Best Cheese Graters 2021:
- OXO Good Grips Box Grater
- ZYLISS Classic Rotary Cheese Grater
- Benwish Round Mandoline Drum Slicer Rotary Cheese Grater
- Utopia Six-Sided Kitchen Cheese Grater
- ALLWIN HOUSEWARE 2 in 1 Zester/Grater
No kitchen can do without a cheese grater! If you are new to cooking, that is one of the first things you need to buy!
Of course, nowadays you can buy pre-grated cheese and save a couple of minutes, but you will be limited in terms of flavor and texture! There are so many varieties of cheese, and they are all so worth trying – don’t miss out on that symphony of tastes!
After all, pre-grated cheese is loaded with harmful chemicals and preservatives that prevent clumping. No health-conscious person would ever eat that, and you shouldn’t either.
Besides, cheese grater is a multifunctional kitchen tool that you can use to make fruit salads, coleslaw, and even the freshest tomato sauce you have ever eaten.
Not just any grater will do! The blades need to be sharp enough to grate both hard and soft cheese and durable enough to last for years. You do not want crumbled cheese; you can do that with your bare hands. Cheese gratings need to be uniform, and the grater should be easy to use and versatile.
We will help you identify the graters that are worth your money, and then you can decide which one is the best cheese grater for your kitchen. Stay tuned!
Related: The Best Cheese Slicer
5 Best Cheese Graters In 2021: Detailed Reviews
1. ZYLISS Classic Rotary Cheese Grater – NSF-certified rotary grater of restaurant quality
ZYLISS Classic Rotary cheese grater is a high-quality kitchen tool, and you can feel that as soon as you take it in your hands and start using it. The plastic is not flimsy; the blades work well, handles do not come off too easily. It is a tool you can rely on, and the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) certificate is there to prove that this is a grater of restaurant quality.
A high standard of design and manufacturing makes this grater comfortable, efficient, and durable. It also helps maintain food hygiene at all times. The stainless steel acid etched blades grate your cheese to a very fine texture. You can use this grater for other hard ingredients such as chocolate and nuts too. Unfortunately, soft cheeses are not an option- you will just create a mushy mess.
As any rotary grater, this one is a bit hard to clean as well, but the good news is that it is safe to wash in your dishwasher, so you can let the machine do the hard work for you. If you are left-handed, you can make the handle fit the opposite side. A five-year warranty gives you peace of mind.
- Certified by NSF to be of restaurant quality
- All parts have been made of high-quality materials
- The pieces are quickly taken apart for cleaning or storage
- Stainless steel drum can grate all sorts of hard ingredients
- 5-year warranty
- Only one drum so fineness cannot be adjusted
- Hard to clean by hand
2. Utopia Six-Sided Kitchen Cheese Grater – Budget-friendly grater with six grating options
The Utopia Kitchen 6-Sided Cheese Grater is for those of you who have to mind the budget but do not want to compromise too much. It comes at an incredibly low price but offers more grating options than any other grater on our list.
As you know, most standard box graters come with four blades, but this Utopia grater includes a whopping six grating options (coarse, ultra-coarse, and medium-holed blade, a fine zester, a slicer, and a wavy slicer). As a result, you have the freedom to choose both the shred thickness and size. All the blades are made from hygienic and durable high grade 430 stainless steel, so you’ll need not worry about rust or corrosion.
Sadly, due to additional sides, all the blades had to be reduced, and that resulted in the narrower grating surface. Consequently, the grating process is a bit slower and requires more effort. Hard, bulky veggies are hard to master with this grater too.
The handle is comfortable and rubberized for your convenience and secure hold. The base is rubberized as well, so the grater is always secured on the counter. Utopia six-sided cheese grater is dishwasher safe, but it is easy to clean by hand too since you can fit a brush inside.
- Six-sided for the utmost versatility
- High grade 430 stainless steel guarantees longevity
- Comfortable handle
- Rubberized base
- Easy to clean and dishwasher safe
- Requires a lot of storage space
3. Benwish Round Mandoline Drum Slicer Rotary Cheese Grater – Colorful rotary grater with three interchangeable drums
This Benwish cheese grater features a large hopper ideal for all of you who want to grate a lot of cheese in a reasonable time. Moreover, the hopper and the blade housing are transparent, allowing you to monitor the process and avoid any mistakes. They are made from BPA-free ABS plastic of high quality.
The grater is cleverly designed, so the housing is slanted slightly downwards, directing the grated cheese straight into the collection bowl. You will receive three different drums – for fine grating, coarse grating, and, finally, for slicing. Of course, the list of ingredients that you can grate is rather long and versatile.
The opening is large, so you can grate quite a big chunk of cheese or fit in some large veggies such as cucumber or a carrot without even having to cut them into smaller pieces beforehand. They thought about little bits of cheese, too, so you will receive a small tool to hold them in the right position for grating. As a result, you won’t risk hurting your fingers by having to hold anything near the blades.
Powerful non-slip suction feet guarantee that the grater will stay in place no matter how vigorously you grate. The quick-release tabs are also there to remove the grater easily once you are done using it. It is quickly taken apart for cleaning and dishwasher safe too.
- Three easily interchangeable stainless steel drums
- Non-slip suction feet
- Easy to take apart for cleaning
- Dishwasher safe in the top rack
- Large, easy to turn the handle
- Body made of BPA-free ABS plastic
- Large capacity
- The bright blue color might not fit into every decor
4. OXO Good Grips Box Grater – Functional grater with a detachable container
The OXO Good Grips Box Grater comes with a removable container that catches all the grates keeping your kitchen or work station mess-free. The container can be inverted inside for easier storage, but it also has a lid of its own if you want to use it to store some food. Unfortunately, the plastic this container is made of seems to be of poor quality and easily breakable.
The grater has four sides: the coarse-holed blade, the medium blade, a fine grating surface that can double as zester, and finally, a slicing surface for perfectly even cheese or veggie slices.
The slim design might be practical when it comes to storage, but if you try to remove cheese shreds from the inside or clean the hard to reach inside corners, it proves to be a disadvantage.
The handle is rubberized for a secure grip and quite soft and comfortable cushioning your hands while you grate. Both the grater and the container feature a non-slip base to keep the unit in place. There are practical measurement markings on the container too.
The blades are made from stainless steel that will remain rust-free and functional for years. You can request a manufacturer’s guarantee from the customer service.
- Functional design
- Invertible attachable container with a lid and non-slip base
- Sharp, stainless steel blades
- Four grating surfaces
- Slim construction for easier storage
- Comfortable, non-slip handle grip
- Guarantee at request
- The container is made from poor quality plastic
5. ALLWIN HOUSEWARE 2 in 1 Zester/Grater – Ultra-compact travel-friendly cheese grater
ALLWIN HOUSEWARE 2 in 1 Zester/Grater features a high quality, rust-resistant blade made from 18/8 stainless steel that will serve you for years to come. It is ultra-compact, so storage will not be an issue, but you can also take it with you on a camping trip or tailgating party. It is inexpensive, so even if you lose it, you can easily buy a new one.
The ergonomically designed soft TPE plastic handle is non-slip, providing a secure grip and cushioning at the same time. There is a rubber strip at the opposite end as well, so that this triangle-shaped grater remains stable and does not damage your kitchen countertop while you grate.
The blades are sharp enough, so there is no need to waste your energy or put too much pressure while you are grating. The protective plastic cover is a nice detail, but it will also keep your grater secure when not in use. The grater is easy to clean, but it is dishwasher safe as well. The handle has a small hole so that you can hang this grater and always have it at the reach of your hand.
This grater/zester might not be as versatile as some other cheese graters on our list, but if you need a grater for occasional use, and you do not want it to take a lot of space in your kitchen, it might be ideal for you.
- Triangle Non-Slip Design
- Ergonomic, comfortable non-slip handle
- Made from durable 18/8 Stainless Steel
- Plastic protector included
- Dishwasher safe
- Rust/Corrosion resistant
- Limited use
Why Do You Need A Cheese Grater?
A cheese grater is an incredibly versatile tool. People have found many applications for this little thing.
The coarse holes are not only ideal for grating your favorite melting ingredient over a pizza, but you can also rely on them to grate carrots for a juicy cake or coleslaw. If you make hash browns or latkes, you know that this blade is excellent for grating potatoes as well. See Also: The Best Potato Masher
The medium-sized holes can be used to grate all the same food as the coarse ones, but when you desire a smaller shred. Fine holes have a life of their own. We usually use them to zest lemon or make ginger paste, but they can tackle some types of cheese like parmesan too.
People rarely use the slicing side of a grater, but it is very practical if you give it a chance. For example, when you want to make uniform slices of cheese to wow your guests with perfectly decorated appetizer platters. It is also great for slicing vegetables for salads or gratin dishes.
How To Choose The Best Cheese Grater?
There are quite a few things you need to consider if you want to buy the very best cheese grater. Those are:
1. Type Of Grater
Box graters are most popular among users and usually the first picture that comes to your mind when you hear the words cheese grater. It should not surprise you though as they are the most multi-faceted and most efficient. However, these graters are the bulkiest option too.
Box graters typically feature four sides with different blades:
- Large shredding holes – most used, highly practical, and ideal for hard and soft cheeses, apples, carrots, zucchini, tomatoes.
- Medium shredding holes – create smaller shavings and can handle pretty much any ingredient large holes can.
- Small shredding holes – for finely shredding hard cheeses such as parmesan, zesting, or making a paste.
- Rough pinholes– ideal for creating fine, almost powdery grate. You can use them for nutmeg, chocolate, ginger, and garlic. They are tough to clean, though, so people often avoid using them altogether.
Handheld graters are single-sided graters with only one blade. They are less versatile but much easier to store or pack-up and take with you. They are typically less expensive than box graters and are thus a great affordable choice for people who require a greater only from time to time.
Rotary graters are not as common as the first two types but are often found at restaurants. Rather than grated, cheese is pressed against a rotating blade and pushed out. Rotary graters are mostly used for hard cheeses but can be used for nuts and chocolate as well. Don’t worry if you have kids; fingers never come into contact with the blade so they will be safe.
Electric graters are usually sold as attachments to large kitchen devices (i.e., food processors or stand mixers). If you need to shred large quantities of cheese, they are your best choice as they will do the job quickly and with almost zero effort on your part.
2. Type Of Blade
There are two types of blades: stamped and etched.
- Stamped graters have blades that stick out, or what we would now call the 3D blades. They are thick and rigid and produce long and chunky shreds of cheese.
- Etched graters are made via a chemical process. During this process, the teeth are corroded into the metal sides. As a result, etched blades feature super-sharp teeth-like indents that produce much thinner and shorter shreds. We have to warn you, though, that you should be extra careful when handling this type of blade as it will not be gentle to you if it catches one of your fingers.
3. Blades Material
- The best cheese grater should have stainless steel blades! In this way, you will not have to worry about rust or corrosion. Besides, your grater will stay functional and hygienic for a long time.
4. Suction Or Non-slip Base
- If you are buying a countertop cheese grater, it would be best to find one with suction or non-slip base. Such a cheese grater is always safely fixed to the work surface so it will never slip and create a mess or hurt your fingers.
- The suction base is even more important for a rotary type of cheese grater, as it will not only hold it in place but also allow you to turn the handle more easily.
5. Ease Of Assembly
- If the cheese grater you plan to buy consists of multiple parts, make sure that they come together & apart easily. You do not want to waste precious time every time you need to use a grater, don’t you?
6. Ergonomic Handle
- A cheese grater requires the use of your hands, so it should feature a design that makes it easy for you to operate it. If it tires your hands too quickly, feels uncomfortable, or causes any risk of hurting your fingers- it is no good. The best cheese grater thus needs to have an ergonomic handle that guarantees a firm and comfortable grip.
- It doesn’t matter much if grater is made of plastic or stainless steel if it is built to last. If the plastic can withstand the grating force and dishwasher temperatures, it can be as good of a choice, and as durable as a stainless steel grater.
Now that we have narrowed down your options, you can choose the best cheese grater for your kitchen. It can be the OXO Good Grips Box Grater, as it is highly practical and reasonably priced as well.
If you want a restaurant-quality grater, buy an NSF-certified ZYLISS Classic Rotary Cheese Grater. Benwish Round Mandoline Drum Slicer Rotary Cheese Grater is a great option too. Both these rotary cheese graters are sure to complete and complement your kitchen arsenal.
For best results, use the buying guide we have provided and find the grater that is the right one for you. Hurry up and enjoy the cheesiest dishes in the comfort of your home!